Load data for 223 with varget

Originally Posted By: markley24.5gr varget with a 69gr smk. I will have to look at the overall length. this is for my 700 sps tactical.

This the load I'm shooting out of my R15 1/9 loaded to mag length. I like the way it shoots so much I bought 1k bullets to load.

I shoot High power service rifle competition. I shoot a First Strike upper with 20" stainless walter Lothar 1x8" twist barrel. I shoot 77gr nosler competition HPBT at mag length of 2.260" behind 24.0 grains of RL-15 and Remington 7 1/2 primers for across the course. I have used Varget with the same load (24.0 grains) and had same velocity.
You will find that most high power shooters are using the same to similar loads. Most are using 80 gr HPBT for 600 yards seated just off the lands and loaded single per the rules.
I switched from Varget to RL-15 because it seemed to burn cleaner and it metered better in my Hornady Progressive reloader.
FWIW Nosler and Sierra 77gr HPBT practically interchangeble.

For more info check out this site. Great People and a lot of information related to high power competition.
National match forum

Kris

Last edited:
nosler 69gr.custom comp hpbt,most accurate load w/varget-23gr.,2603fps,90% load density.....

nosler 77gr.cus comp hpbt,most acc load w/ varget-22gr.,2454 fps, 90% load density.....

straight from nosler #6.....

Originally Posted By: Thunderstick223I shoot High power service rifle competition. I shoot a First Strike upper with 20" stainless walter Lothar 1x8" twist barrel. I shoot 77gr nosler competition HPBT at mag length of 2.260" behind 24.0 grains of RL-15 and Remington 7 1/2 primers for across the course. I have used Varget with the same load (24.0 grains) and had same velocity.
You will find that most high power shooters are using the same to similar loads. Most are using 80 gr HPBT for 600 yards seated just off the lands and loaded single per the rules.
I switched from Varget to RL-15 because it seemed to burn cleaner and it metered better in my Hornady Progressive reloader.

For more info check out this site. Great People and a lot of information related to high power competition.
National match forum

Kris

This is exactly what I am looking for thanks for the info. I really appreciate it, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Thunderstick223I shoot High power service rifle competition. I shoot a First Strike upper with 20" stainless walter Lothar 1x8" twist barrel. I shoot 77gr nosler competition HPBT at mag length of 2.260" behind 24.0 grains of RL-15 and Remington 7 1/2 primers for across the course. I have used Varget with the same load (24.0 grains) and had same velocity.

National match forum

Kris

I shoot service conditons matches up here (don't know how much they differ from what the US guys do.) I use a 68 grain Hornady HPBT over 25 grains of Varget in a 1-9" AR. I've always had more succsess with Varget because I find it much more temperature stable than any of the reloaders. I don't know if this is a concern where you live. We shoot matches all year round, so -30 in Jan and +30 in July. Varget is just less temperature sensitive I find. Again, may or may not be an issue for you.

Originally Posted By: SillyakOriginally Posted By: Thunderstick223I shoot High power service rifle competition. I shoot a First Strike upper with 20" stainless walter Lothar 1x8" twist barrel. I shoot 77gr nosler competition HPBT at mag length of 2.260" behind 24.0 grains of RL-15 and Remington 7 1/2 primers for across the course. I have used Varget with the same load (24.0 grains) and had same velocity.

National match forum

Kris

I shoot service conditons matches up here (don't know how much they differ from what the US guys do.) I use a 68 grain Hornady HPBT over 25 grains of Varget in a 1-9" AR. I've always had more succsess with Varget because I find it much more temperature stable than any of the reloaders. I don't know if this is a concern where you live. We shoot matches all year round, so -30 in Jan and +30 in July. Varget is just less temperature sensitive I find. Again, may or may not be an issue for you.

Our matches run from March through November. It can get cold. I agree, Varget is great for temperature fluxuations. That is why I use it for my .22-250 loads for coyotes. For my match ammo, I do not weigh every load, maybe every 10-15 rounds and RL-15 just meters better. I get maybe +/- .1 gr. variation but mostly right on.

Kris

I did some shooting last night. Using 24, 24.5, and 25 gr. of varget with a 69 gr. ncc. The 24 gr. shot the best around 1" 5 shot group at 100 yards. Thanks to all the guys for help with solid data.

Chris

Back