I ATE my Wolf!

jcs271

As many of you know I had a great hunt last week and took my first Montana wolf.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...nt=4&page=1

Any way, I thought it would be very appropriate to celebrate this hunt by at least "trying" to eat him. I cut out his backstraps which truly looked like great cuts of meat. I then took it to my neighbor who used to own a meat shop and catering business. He and I made up a special "Molloy Marinade" (named after fed judge Molloy who has meddled with this hunt for years). It was a mix of red wine, olive oil, kosher salt, pepper and a few dashes of spices that I couldn't identify. We let it soak for 48 hours and last night at a neighborhood celebration party we grilled the wolf! On my honor as a hunter, I will say with complete truthfulness, the meat was EXCELLENT! There were a few folks who just couldn't get past the thought of wolf meat but for those that tried it, they were shocked. It was tender, moist and had great flavor. One guest who is a serious cook said that if people knew what this tasted like they would be shooting a lot more wolves. When it was over, several people took chunks home to share with their friends. I am now regretting not harvesting more of the meat to try as a roast and even make into jerky. I am writing this about 12hrs after dinner last night. It will soon be time to take a quick walk in the woods and return the old boy to the earth from which he came, just as I am sure he would have done for me had our encounter on that day ended differently.
b6072ecd.jpg

40bb00d4.jpg

4266be2b.jpg

What a fitting tribute to a magnificent animal. I see nothing wrong with eating wolf or cougar for that matter.

Besides, 48 million +/- South Koreans can't be all wrong. The don't have wolves, but a member of the same family often graces some of their tables. I am sure with the time I have spent there some has passed by my lips.

Those look like some great pieces of meat!

bob

Last edited:
Great end to a great hunt. I truly like the Molloy tribute maybe you should send her the recipe. Loved the whole circle of life ending too.

i am not really surprised, people eat lions they kill with enjoyment, and i really really loved the molloy crack. i was a born and raised in Montana, and lived there until Sept of this year. I lived outside of Missoula, so when i say i loved the Molloy crack, I really love the Molloy crack
thumbup.gif
I even wrote a paper in college about the damage of uncontrolled wolf expansion, and resulting decline in deer and elk population, and one of the requirements in the class was to send the paper to someone activly involved in the feild we wrote about, so i sent it to Molloy, with no answer back of course.

thanks foryour write up and update, good on ya and good luck the rest of the season in Big sky country

My hat is off to you, Cheers!. You may have discovered another benefit to the wolf hunt.

If I get lucky here in Idaho I may be contacting you to find out about those "special ingredients".

Silvertp

Way to take advantage of a "medium rare" opportunity
lol.gif
. It's not everyday you kill a wolf or have a chance to try and eat it. I'm all for trying new foods. Did you do spin three times before laying down that night?

It was a little weird taking that first bite, but after that, "meat is meat". I saw they were going to give a hat and tshirt to a guy on here for eating a coyote (YUK). Hopefully he will be as happy as I was with the outcome!

Cool post!
After hearing some reports of what coyote tastes like, I wouldn't have thought to give wolf a try.
Thanks for sharing.

Congratulations on getting the wolf and great that you try it I always did hear that dog was a great meal beside I would love to shoot a wolf someday and give it a try.

Just a quick health update..........

Over the last 48hrs I have noticed a substantial increase in the hair content of my stool. My neighbor ate a lot more than I did at the BBQ, now his wife tells me that last night he circled the bed 3 times before laying down. I'll keep you posted!

Originally Posted By: jcs271Just a quick health update..........

Over the last 48hrs I have noticed a substantial increase in the hair content of my stool. My neighbor ate a lot more than I did at the BBQ, now his wife tells me that last night he circled the bed 3 times before laying down. I'll keep you posted!

Now that just cracked me up! Glad he didn't try to lift his leg before laying down.

Loved the Molloy reference.

Back