tc venture or howa ranchland compact?

frankr

Well after the great input on my other thread for a truck gun I have decided to keep the build cheaper.

I went to the local gun store and handled two guns in 223.

The howa ranchland compact for $325.00
Or
the tv venture for $378.00

Both are blued
Synthetic stock
1:12 twist
The tc does have more clearance between the barrel and stock
But the howa magazine seems better than the plastic tc one.

Both would be cut to 16.25"

Which would you recommend and why?

I wouldn't cut it to 16.25 right away. Cut it to 18 first let it ride around with you for a while and see how you like it. You can always cut more off the barrel if you want. Both my truck guns have 20" barrels and I have no problem getting them out the window in a hurry.

Wow sounds like howa is a lot better rifle.

What is wrong/inferior with the tc? I am not a bolt gun guy (and want to learn) but other than a heavy bolt lift and plastic mag what else is wrong?

On the howa compacts how is the accuracy for 1 shot vs 5 shots (how many shots does it take to get it to wander)?

How is the vogue stock? Can th flimsiness be improved?

I'm am not a fan of the hogue stock. But there are plenty of stocks available bell and carlson makes a good replacement stock.

I have heard the Thompson center costumer service sucks the guns seem ok I just like my howas better they have a decent stock trigger that is easily adjustable. Accuracy is great and the action is built like a brick sh!@ house.

Originally Posted By: frankrWell after the great input on my other thread for a truck gun I have decided to keep the build cheaper.

I went to the local gun store and handled two guns in 223.

The howa ranchland compact for $325.00
Or
the tv venture for $378.00

Both are blued
Synthetic stock
1:12 twist
The tc does have more clearance between the barrel and stock
But the howa magazine seems better than the plastic tc one.

Both would be cut to 16.25"

Which would you recommend and why?

Is that price for the Venture including the factory rebate?

You should pick the one you like best as it is your money. FWIW, I had to use TC's customer service within the last year and it was excellent.

The prices are without rebate.

The howa is supposedly from 2008-09 and been stuck in the back the had a heavy barrel howa 223is blued from 2008 but wanted $569.00 + tax I just don't know if the added "rigidity" and weight merit the extra $240.00.

What kind of rebate does tc have going on?

My vote is HOWA. I have a Howa 1500 Varmint in .308 here is a picture of a 100 yard 3 shot group (last 3 shots out of a box of 20 during sight in at the indoor range). These were shot with Factory Federal 150 grain soft points. Have a Mueller Sport Dot Scope mounted on top.

Originally Posted By: frankrThe prices are without rebate.

The howa is supposedly from 2008-09 and been stuck in the back the had a heavy barrel howa 223is blued from 2008 but wanted $569.00 + tax I just don't know if the added "rigidity" and weight merit the extra $240.00.

What kind of rebate does tc have going on?

$50 for Venture rifles.

www.tcarms.com/offers/

I'm going to go against the tide here and vote venture. I have two and really like them both. My experience with TC's customer service has been positive. They replaced my 17 mach 2 R-55 with a Venture Weathershield 300 win mag, even though I feel the problem with the R-55 was as much with the caliber as anything. If I had to gripe, there a bit slow, approx. 10 weeks from when I sent my R-55 in till I had my venture. They have always been good to answer the phone and respond to the emails I've sent. And if it matters, they are US made.

Originally Posted By: ksyotehunterMy vote is HOWA. I have a Howa 1500 Varmint in .308 here is a picture of a 100 yard 3 shot group (last 3 shots out of a box of 20 during sight in at the indoor range). These were shot with Factory Federal 150 grain soft points. Have a Mueller Sport Dot Scope mounted on top.

Nice shooting there ksyotehunter!

I have been very pleased with my Howa Ranchland in 223. In fact, I like it so much I bought a Howa in 308. I have no complaints with the Hogue stock, either.

Ksyote - That is a nice group.

For those of you with a Howa in .223 how has the accuracy been with bullets heavier than 62gr?

I was thinking about the Tikka due to the 1:8 twist as the local shop has a used varmint SS on for $630.00 but I am having a hard time justifying that extra money if the Howa is every bit as good.

Thanks

Back