18" barrel for .300wsm?

ToCatchAPredator

I just got a brand new rem 700 sps in .300wsm, I plan on customizing the rifle to be a very light big game rifle. I will eventually after this big game season send it to christensen arms to have the barrel shortened and wrapped in their patented carbon fiber wrap. I really wanted something compact but able to make accurate shots out to 500-600 yds on big game. I was considering having them cut the barrel to about 18" with a muzzle break. Is this a bad idea? I know i will lose velocity but how badly would this effect accuracy?

Thanks for your suggestions/ input

Frank P.

Im building a XP100 pistol in 300WSM. It has a 17" barrel not including brake. You can plan on loosing 300fps. As far as accuracy no difference.

Actual barrel length has absolutely no bad effects on accuracy. Actually a shorter and stiffer barrel in theory should shot better, not worse.

I don't think you are going to gain alot by having them wrap your barrel(weight wise) at that length.. And you are also going to pay dearly to have it done. Have you priced it yet?? It is considerably more than you paid for the whole rifle.

If you want to get the weight down it would probably be cheaper to sell that rifle and buy a Kimber Montana. You would probably end up with the same(about) overall weight. And a considerably better rifle. For less money.

You might want to rethink your idea.

Nothing wrong with a short barrel. But you do loose alot more with a magnum cartridge when you shorten the barrel.

Shooting 500 or 600 yards with that light of a rifle is going to be a real challenge. Tom.

Last edited:
In theory, a shorter barrel should be more accurate, but yeild lower velocity. A shorter barrel should be slightly more accurate, because there is less flex.

In reality, i would agree with bfr4570. And some of the velocity loss could probably be compensated for by handloading using a quicker magnum powder.

Better invest in some hearing protection for hunting though, that is gonna be brutal.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43An 18 inch barrel and a muzzle break should be loud enough to shatter glass.

Yep. I sure wouldnt wanna be around it.

I dont think the carbon wrap will help. Lots of cost though. If you ever think you going to sell. Just get a custom shorter barrel and screw it on.

I had a 28" full bull Krieger barrel in 22-250 that I was going to have wrapped last summer to drop a few pounds off the rifle. Until I priced it. I was amazed what they wanted to do that barrel. Unbelievable. Tom.

You guys are right on the noise. My 284 takes plugs and muffs off of bench. Hunting I wear plugs or muffs anyway.

Speed wise just for referrence. My 284 17" barrel shooting Accubond 140s with 58GR R19 is 2870fps. I have a buddy with a 284 rifle 24" same twist 3190 fps.

Nice flame thrower for night entertainment. Just point it in a safe direction.
I think a 300 fps loss over a 24" barrel is conservative for a magnum round
but maybe not.

You could get into a XX grade match barrel from any major maker (Shilen, Douglas, Lilja, Bartein, Kreiger, ect) for around/under $350. Most 'smiths charge 100-150 for a chamber and thread job.

You would get a higher quality barrel, with a nice tight chamber for about the same cost as wrapping your factory barrel. IMO if I was spending that much it would be with a custom barrel, not putting lipstick on the pig called a factory barrel.

The short mags are acually a little better than the longer mags. In a shorter barrel firearm. 300 win mag will lose right around 500fps. The 300WSM is right around 300fps. Now all this is averaging each gun and barrel are different. Also around 17" is the breaking point anything shorter speed will drop more.

jjh I agree with you forgot he was talking about carbon wrapping. Get you a good barrel and go.

Last edited:

Here is a link to a video of the difference in a custom barrel and a factory barrel. The video does not show a particularly poor sample of factory barrels. I have looked at both customs and factory take-offs and the video shows a decent representation of what is common in a factory barrel.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JJHYou could get into a XX grade match barrel from any major maker (Shilen, Douglas, Lilja, Bartein, Kreiger, ect) for around/under $350. Most 'smiths charge 100-150 for a chamber and thread job.

You would get a higher quality barrel, with a nice tight chamber for about the same cost as wrapping your factory barrel. IMO if I was spending that much it would be with a custom barrel, not putting lipstick on the pig called a factory barrel.

ding, ding, ding...Winner!!!

Don't waste THAT kind of money trying to make a "custom" rifle with a factory tube that in all likelyhood will do 1" at 100 at best. Spend less $ and get a thin taper, fluted, lightweight CUSTOM barrel, (Kreiger, Shilen, Pacnor among others), put it together right and you'll have a guaranteed sub-MOA shooter.

(While Mythbusters proved yes, you CAN polish a turd, why would you even want to?)

Call Chuck at Macks Guns in WY. He has built me three guns getting ready for another one. He is fair priced and builds some shooters 307-689-2796. He tells you straight and is pretty quick.

Originally Posted By: bigwheeler Nice flame thrower for night entertainment. Just point it in a safe direction.
I think a 300 fps loss over a 24" barrel is conservative for a magnum round
but maybe not.

ROFL

I can't help but wonder how far the flame would shoot if you used some Retumbo.

Last edited:
My SAUM rifles weight less than 7 pounds with a new stock, stock barrel and shoot very well. Look at a McMillan or a Rem Ti (Bell and Carlson) Stock and save yourself the hassle. If you want an 18 inch 308 cal barrel, just buy a 308, it will perform the same, save your hearing and save you some money. The Montana is a great suggestion or a M7 in 300.

Originally Posted By: ToCatchAPredatorCost for barrel is 600 plus at least $150 for the brake, it is pretty costly, Could i get a custom barrel for a cheaper price

Well yes. Basically you can buy a McMillan Edge stock and have a 6.5 pound rifle. You need to shoot that bugger before you decide on a new barrel. My Rems shoot great out of the box.

Back