Bray Ranch Redvale Colorado

sumrifle

A friend of mine took his 3 sons Deer hunting to Colorado. He told me a story yesterday that made my blood boil. Mark's youngest son had never been drawn for a Deer tag in Colorado until this year and had never killed a Deer.

The two older boys filled their tags and just the youngest had a remaining tag. Mark was on BLM land adjacent to private property owned by this Mr. Bray. They were legally on public land and the boy had a Deer spotted he was going to shoot.

Mark said it was a very nice Deer. Mr. Bray drove his truck between the boy and the Deer and herded it on to his private property ruining the young boys chance at a shot. Bray Ranches charges people to hunt on their private property but they were not on his property. What Mr. Bray did in my opinion is hunter harassment, illegal in all 50 States.

Mark said this Mr. Bray previously served on the Colorado Game and Fish Commission or something similar. I do not know if he just thinks he can do what he wants or what. I believe he should be criminally charged with "Hunter Harassment".

At any rate if you know this man I would hope you would voice your displeasure at what he did. To ruin my hunt would be bad enough and I would be upset. But to ruin a young man's hunt is outrageous. If they had a right to be there and hunt he had no business doing what he did. He did it simply to get that Deer back on his property so he could charge someone money to shoot it. The fact they were near his property means nothing. Public land is public land.

Last edited:
http://www.brayranches.com/contact

Here is the man who ruins little boys first Deer hunts so he can greedily charge someone else to kill the Deer.

Robert & Melissa Bray Family
P.O. Box 65
Redvale, CO 81431
(970) 327-4779
brayhunt@frontier.net

Lance, Nichol, Colton & Darcy Bray
P.O. Box 192
Redvale, CO 81431
(970) 327-4933

why are they not telling this same story to the local sheriff's department????

The only way this will change is with a possible visit by the local LEO.

I don't know if I'll get a reply or not, but I sent an e-mail to Mr. Bray via the address you provided.

Along with a link to this thread I asked for his side of the story. If I get a reply, it will probably be telling me to go screw myself. lol

We shall see.

Welcome to outfitter friendly CO. I have seen this and many other similar issues unfold many times. The real problem is you can not really prove intent even though you really know what happened. It is how this is and it is the down side to big money hunting. Unfortunately, there are many good outfitters around that play by the rules, but there are many that do anything for a dollar.

Is there any way that the area of public land is restricted from motor vehicle use? If so, you might have a case for him driving in an area not authorized and foot traffic only.
I am also aware that in Colorado private property owners are not required to fence their property, are you 100% sure you were on public?

Originally Posted By: Stirling XDDid this guy know your son was there?

In my opinion, it doesn't matter if he did or didn't.

Again I am really sorry about the situation and unfortunately it happens more than most people realize. While it sucks on the legal front there is little that can be done. Have you heard back from the owner? Are you sure it was Mr. Bray in person? Most of the time the big outfitter sends out a peon to pull this off. Many of the bigger outfitters have plans etc. in place for certain situations.

I hate to say it, but it happens when u hunt public land. There is always a chance some idiot will mess it up.

I hope the owner responds to the email. I also would atleast report him to the area DOW officer. Enough complaints they will usually watch closer and maybe even in act an investigation.

Check out this video on YouTube: its Mr. Bray being confronted by me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co2u7DPa48k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm Mark. Mr Bray knew we were there. He said I was committing a crime. It made me mad. I told the Game Warden just to talk to him. Prosecution would be difficult since I live out of state. Plus, the fine would be minimal. See my encounter with Mr Bray which I recorded.

I have informed EVERY ONE in Colorado who has some sort of connection with Mr Bray as to what he did.

The email that was sent to all:

Robert Bray violated Colorado Outfitters Code of Ethics

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co2u7DPa48k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Fourteen year old boy’s first buck hunt is ruined by wealthy land owner and outfitter ROBERT BRAY from Bray Ranches.

I am former resident of Redvale and Norwood Colorado and I am still a Colorado land owner. My land borders National Forest and is inhabited by small and big game animals. I believe in hunting, yet preserving wildlife and wildlife habitat.

In October of 2011, I guided my fourteen year old twin boys, Kevin and Kyle, on their first buck hunt in Game Unit 70 in Colorado. It took three years for them to draw a buck tag for that Game Unit. After Kyle filled his buck tag, Kevin attempted but failed, due to the interference of ROBERT BRAY of Redvale Colorado.

On 10/27/11 at about 3:30 pm, I guided Kevin onto BLM land located along the south rim of Naturita Canyon, south of Redvale Colorado. The land consists of sage brush, pinion and cedar trees. A hay field borders a portion of the south side of the BLM land. That field is owned by ROBERT BRAY and BRAY RANCHES. Prior to starting the hunt, other hunters driving past talked to me and told me I was going onto private property. They said they were calling ROBERT BRAY. I informed them it was BLM land and my son had a buck tag and we were hunting at that location.

I parked along the eastside of 35 Road, on BLM land, and we crossed the fence and walked east on BLM land. After walking through the first tree line, we setup in a position watching an open area of BLM. We could see deer migrating out of the trees from the Canyon area, on BLM land, towards ROBERT BRAY’S field. We also noticed deer migrating from the field, across the open area on BLM land towards the tree line.

At about 4:30 pm, my son Kevin and I saw a large four point buck on BLM land, approximately 120 yards from our position. The buck was feeding and migrating slowing further onto BLM land. At that point my son Nick, who was waiting at my truck, sent me a text message informing me BRAY was driving onto his property. At about that same time I saw ROBERT BRAY’S truck driving east on BLM land on a dirt road, only accessible by the ROBERT BRAY and the Bray Ranch.

The truck drove slowing towards the large trophy sized buck, entering the direction where KEVIN needed to shoot. The buck saw the truck and moved a few yards away from us and the truck, towards the field. The buck remained on BLM land. At that point truck pulled even farther forward, directly between our position and the trophy sized buck.

We approached the truck and I recognized ROBERT BRAY and being the driver and only occupant of the vehicle. I questioned ROBERT BRAY and I videoed the conversation with my iPhone. During questioning BRAY admitted to seeing our position. He stated, “This is my land.” and that he was protecting his property. He then stated he did not know where his property line was. He accused me of parking on his fence line, trespassing and committing a crime. I corrected BRAY. Kevin was dressed in blaze orange and the only one in our party with a weapon. Refer to the video for further information.

After further considering the matter and obtaining additional information, I suspect if I pursued any prosecution of any possible crimes committed by Mr. Bray, he would be shown favoritism and no action would be taken. I had a similar confrontation with ROBERT BRAY in October of 2007 on a roadway. Then he confronted me and another friend about being on his property. During that incident he was also wrong.

ROBERT BRAY receives vouchers from The Colorado Department of Wildlife, which he provides to hunters who pay him fees to hunt. He guides and allows hunters on his property for paid fees. He leases State Trust Lands which he uses to profit from by allowing paid hunters onto the leased property.

I believe the incident which deprived Kevin from shooting his first buck was based on ROBERT BRAY’S lack of integrity and greed for the money he receives form the multiple hunters he provides a service to each year. ROBERT BRAY and BRAY RANCHES should get an A+ from their customers, regarding hunt satisfaction. They provide a great guaranteed hunt, even if it’s at the expense of a boys first buck hunt.

MARK KING

Last edited:
even with out the harassing a hunt it is illegal to herd wildlife on public land or private land, I would pursue this if I was you, that video should be enough to get something done,

sorry about your boy, good luck

Originally Posted By: sluggerwhy are they not telling this same story to the local sheriff's department????

The only way this will change is with a possible visit by the local LEO.

Mark joined Predator Masters today and I believed typed up the story and posted a link to a youtube video. I know he spoke to the Game Warden but I do not think he filed a report with the Sheriff's Department. Mark and his sons are back home but still not happy about what Robert Bray did to ruin the 14 year olds hunt.

Originally Posted By: Super White Hunterthis is aggrevating the more I think about it

That is why I posted this thread. Mark texted me the story from Colorado and I was very unhappy about it. If someone messed up my hunt I would be mad. Mess up a 14 year old kids first hunt and I was even more upset.

I will be sending a letter of complaint to the Colorado Outfitters Assiocation. Robert Bray happens to be a vice president of organization. The main office directed me to do so. He is well connected in Colorado. Those connections are learning about his character

I posted to the Bray Ranch facebook wall and they deleted it. It was not a beligerant post, just asked why they would harass hunters. Nice group of people there, and to think I considered hunting that are next year. Guess I will find another area to go to.

Yep this is typical of the some of the bigger outfitters in CO. I have had similar run ins with such ahole types. I have seen them go nuts just to protect a cow elk. They assume that people do not know what they are doing and can bully them into leaving. If he saw out of state plates on your truck then he assumed he would have just ran you off. Good for u for standing up to him. I wish you had whole incidence on tape and file at least a complaint with local law enforcement. If he has done it to you a couple times he has done to others many more.

HEHE... Here is my post that will soon be deleted off the facebook page.

Robert Winn So which of those bucks was the one herded off public land by a truck just before a young hunter shot? Was it the one on the left after you illegally told a person they were tresspassing when they wlity guere infact on BLM land? Pretty quys...

Back