Night Hunting In Nebraska

TimberDawwg

My brother and I are headed to the Sandhills at the end of November, and since it's such a long drive for both of us, we want to ensure we hunt as much as possible. I've researched their regulations and hunting at night with a light is legal (can't be attached to a vehicle).

Anyone here have any experience hunting there at Night? I'm using a light I used in Michigan; 2M Candle Power with rheostat to turn down as low as I need, Red Filter, mounted on a camera tri-pod to swivel (also doubles as a good steady rest). We're thinking one guy with a rifle and the other with a shot-gun.

Any advice or recommendations would be appreciated...it's like a 19 hour drive and we are only going to get to hunt 4 days, so we have to maximize the hunting time.

If it's one of those dead-calm sandhills nights, keep your noise to a minimum. When you can hear a train that's 20 miles away, a dog will hear you shut your car door just about as far. If it is one of those nights, be careful of your calling volume also. Try and set up where you have 100% visiblity, the hills are full of cuts and swales, and even during daylight calling coyotes have a knack of popping up 50 yrds infront of you. I've been burnt more than once night calling the hills because of that.

The rifle/shotgun combo is a good idea. We oftentimes use the same technique, just make sure you communicate on who is taking the lead dog, etc. I think your lights should be fine, I'd just keep the light turned down a bit, dogs around here can become a bit wary. Like nefj40 said, the hills are wide open and your sounds are sure to travel a ways, so be cognizant of the noise you make. The sandhills are a very unique ecosystem - I really enjoy every trip I take through them. Keep us posted on your success and good luck!

Back