One More ND Coyote Hunt on 11-1-2011--Photos

Silverfox

Tuesday, November 1, 2011, I headed out of Williston. Man are there ever lots of drilling rigs and also completed wells out there. Pipelines seem to have been installed all over the place. I headed to a spot out east of a rancher’s buildings where there is a very nice long wooded draw running to the east north east from where I parked my pickup. I thought about taking my shotgun along but nixed that idea. I walked into the west southwest and crossed the little ravine that had a little stream running through it and got to a spot where I could call to the NW. I could see pretty well to the east, north and west. I set the FOXPRO up to the northeast of me and used the dying jackrabbit sound. After I thought 14 or 15 minutes must have elapsed, I muted the FOXPRO and looked down at my watch. My chronograph said that almost 15 minutes had passed by since I started calling. When I looked up from my watch, I spotted a coyote face looking through some brush not more than 35 yards to the NW of me. It was looking east towards my FOXPRO which was silent. My rifle was almost pointing exactly at him so I didn’t have to move much to get the crosshairs on the coyote. Unfortunately, there were some branches from the brush growing there that seemed to be in the road of the shot and all I had to shoot at was his head. I held off on the shot. The coyote advanced a step or two higher up out of the ravine, intently staring in the direction of the FOXPRO. He was now standing almost broadside to me and I could clearly see his head, chest and shoulder area. I put the crosshairs behind his right front shoulder and squeezed off the shot. The Danzac coated 30 gr. BTHP Kindler Gold bullet WHACKED the coyote but didn’t knock him down! He spun around while biting at the bullet entrance wound and then ran down the bank of the ravine and out of sight. I knew I had hit him in the heart/lung area so I was sure he would expire quickly and was hoping he would not be too hard to find.

Coyoteappearedtext--small.jpg

I shut off my remote, ejected the empty round and chambered another round and slowly crept over to the edge of the ravine. I could not see any blood or fur at the spot he was standing when I shot. There was no blood on any of the tall grass blades or the brush either as I began to walk in the direction he disappeared. I took my time scanning the deep grass in the ravine as I walked along and found the coyote piled up just 40 yards from where he was when I shot him.

CoyoteFound--small.jpg

He was stone-cold dead. The bullet had hit right where I aimed and had made a tiny hole about 1/4 inch in diameter. Here's a photo of the side where the bullet entered.

EntranceWound--small.jpg

There was no exit hole. I stepped off the distance from where I was lying when I took the shot to the spot the coyote was standing and it was 30 yards!!! As I mentioned earlier, I had thought about taking my shotgun with when I stopped to walk to this place but left it in the pickup. Oh well, the old .17 Tactical worked well anyway.

This was a big old male coyote and he had some very nice, big sharp teeth. Here’s one of my .17 TAC shells alongside his gleaming white teeth:

TeethCartridge--small.jpg

I set my FOXPRO stand up and placed my camera on it to get a couple of hero photos. Here’s one where you can see the coyote and my beautiful smile. He had nice long guardhairs.

HeroPhoto-2--small.jpg

It took me 10 minutes to drag him the half mile back to the pickup. I sprayed him down with flea spray and loaded him up into the back of the pickup and headed for another calling spot. Once again, I was amazed to find oil well drilling pads, drilling rigs, new pipelines, and lots of oilfield vehicles all over this once-quiet and pristine area. The oilfield activity might be good for the workers and the mineral acre owners, but it sure messes up the once-quiet countryside. I did find a place I wanted to walk into and call and when I got in about a quarter mile there was a backhoe digging away about 1/4 mile to the WNW of where I wanted to set up to call. I walked in another 1/2 mile to the SE and called for over 40 minutes with no takers. I think all the activity has the coyotes jittery in this particular area.

I drove to the ranch house of one of the landowners in the area and had a chat with him and thanked him for allowing me to hunt and then headed for home. I stashed this coyote in the freezer with the other three from my October 21 hunt. I hope prices are decent so I can afford to fill my gas tank!!!

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story and pics! I hear ya about all the oil activity too, but I can't say much as without it I wouldn't have a job...again, congrats on the coyote!

Great story and photos Silverfox. That is a healthy looking yote as well. Might be good in a stew!!

Safe hunting

I always enjoy your stories Silverfox. We saw Williston on the news the other night, with the oil rush. We have alot of oil here. It's an eye sore and you have to put up with the oilfield traffic, but what it does provide is good road systems into properties that you'd normally wouldn't be able to get back into, as well as, areas to hide the vehicle.

Keep after 'em sir.

Tony

Very nice looking coyote and great recount of the hunt. That cartridge has been on my mind a lot lately. It looks like it did the job with little damage. Is the 17 TAC easy to work with? Keep after them
thumbup.gif

Thanks to all of you for the nice comments about my little coyote outing. I appreciate it.

ARCOREY--I was all fired up about the .17 Tactical when I first started forming brass and shooting prairie dogs with the forming rounds. It was very accurate for the first 250 to 275 rounds. After that, accuracy dropped off and when I ran my bore scope in the barrel the first several inches looked like alligator hide
frown.gif
When I hit the 521 round mark, I had the barrel set back one full inch and rechambered in hopes accuracy would improve a bit, but nowhere near as good as it was the first couple hundred shots. I now have a total of 808 shots down the barrel and 287 of those have been shot since I had the barrel set back one full inch. I think the .17 TAC is a good coyote rifle, but I like to shoot my coyote rifles at prairie dogs during the summer and in my humble opinion (at least my .17 TAC) the .17 TAC is a barrel burner. Your mileage may differ, especially if you are willing to shoot it at .17 Remington velocities.

Right now, I am shooting a load of 24.6 gr. of Varget with the Danzac coated 30 gr. BTHP Golds and the muzzle velocity of that load is 3,792 fps. Most folks who have .17 Tacticals seem to be getting high 3,800 to 3,900 fps speeds. 30 gr. Golds at 3,792 fps can easily be done in my .17 Remingtons. The sizing dies, seating dies, .20 Tactical Dakota Lapua brass, etc. cost an arm and a leg and if I had it to do over again, I WOULD NOT build a .17 Tactical rifle, I'd stay right with the .17 Remington caliber.

I appreciate the info Silverfox. I won't be thinking about the 17 TAC much more after hearing this. I like to shoot my rifles too much to burn out that soon. I'll go back to thinking on the old 17Rem or one of the milder 17's. Their speed is plenty fast for me.

Silverfox,

I was born (1963) and raised in Williston and i left at the age of 21 after the late 80's boom crashed and everybody left town.

I was back for the 4th of July and the town is a mess with all the people and the Oil industry. I have two brothers that have moved back to Williston to work the Oil Fields.

Great story my man!

Happy hunting!

Kevin

great job, and thanks for the 17TAC info, ive been thinking of a 17cal build and that was on the list. Im with ARCorey, i think the 17rem would be my ticket

You still got it my friend, every time I see your name on the the thread, I have to tune in.

Great story and pics as usual. Never a let down.

Back