New guy from Minnesota

YukonJasper

Howdy,
Just came across this forum from a recommendation on another forum. I am curious and wanting to get into Predator Hunting, so I'm researching and reading more about the subject - best platform (AR VS Bolt) - best caliber - best rifle etc.

I have land in the Northern part of the state and the Western part of the state and have been told by CO's in both areas that I should take up predator hunting as a way to shore up my deer, Pheasant, Grouse and Duck Hunting interests.

Are there any Minnesota or Upper Midwest oriented online communities that I should be checking out?

Welcome!!. just remember, wolves (kinda) look like coyotes.
smile.gif

MN coyotes are quite big. 75-100 lbs are common
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: borkon
wink.gif

Yea, on the Iron range.
lol.gif
I saw one in ely last week that had to go 125 easy, he was huge. Even had a radio collar.

Like the others have said, welcome to the board!!!! We tend to range from all over the place here. North to south, east or west. Good luck and please share how you are doing. If you have questions answeres are usualy easy to come by here.

I like the Savage model 10 predator - max 1 in 22-250. I also like vortex viper scopes. Its a good combo for less than $1000 all set up. I havent seen a 75# coyote yet. It is deceiving because of their thick fur up here. I killed a nice one a few weeks back that weighed 35 lbs but to look at it one could have easily guessed 50. Good luck and welcome to MN.

Originally Posted By: 3807patriotAnd what ever cartridge you decide to use make sure its a Wby
lol.gif

BWAHAHAHAHAH!

Its been a while since I posted here. I purchased a Mossberg MVP, have an electronic caller and have been reading a lot on the subject. Only thing left it to get out and hopefully sling some lead. Any recommendations for additional information on the subject. The two land parcels I can use are located north of Morris in the west and north of Side Lake in the north. What's my best bet for locations this time of the year?

Thanks for your thoughts.

well welcome, don't take things personal and read along and you will learn a lot.

I saw that your first post was 4 years ago.

I would suggest that before you get out there and start playing the call in your land, go out, take a lunch and find some spots to watch the animals. Look for tracks and learn where they are, and when they are there.

The call is great, but if you don't learn where they are, the habbitat they like and when they like it, and what they are eating, you will only educate them and not have any luck.
I suggest that you find out about how to play the wind, what to do on stand, and then take the call and gun. I would in MN wait for prime pelts first, since you can get upto $100 for them up there. This time of year would be a good time to talk to trappers and other hunters in the area and find out about buyers, talk to all of them and really get an understanding of what the buyer wants and doesn't like, since he will be the one writing the checks.

Good luck.
Oh, and there is no such thing as going out in the wood and practicing shooting metal plates as different distances to much. Once hunting season comes, you don't want to let a $100 bill run off because you blew a shot.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZw
one writing the checks.
. Once hunting season comes, you don't want to let a $100 bill run off because you blew a shot.

hey Tbonz's...........i'm a Pro at that
tongue.gif
w00t.gif

Welcome to PM. Also a Minnesotan. Central pt of the state. These guys are awesome and ever so helpful and have great personalities and humor. You wont be sorry you got active on the site.
thumbup.gif

Im assuming you dont mean the northern part of the state with land in Morris
tt2.gif
Where do you hunt up here?

And lol about 100 lb. coyotes. Those are the best kind to get in the crosshairs

Last edited:
Welcome!!. just remember, wolves (kinda) look like coyotes.
lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

I know i can always get a good laugh around here!

Welcome to Predator Masters & hunting the hunter ! Great guys here, keep reading and asking questions, you will learn a lot.

Back