Three Coyotes and a Badger

dustinyotes

I took last week off to do some deer, elk and coyote hunting, I didn’t do well on the deer and elk but I had a great time calling coyotes in some old and new areas.

After hiking the mountains all day on Monday deer hunting, I woke up Tuesday morning tired and sore and decided to spend the morning looking for a coyote, I went to one of my favorite areas and started walking in to my stand. I was just about to sit down and start calling when I noticed a coyote on the ridge across from me about 200 yards away. I got my 220 swift up but could not hold still enough to take the shot, I decided to sneak up the hill about 20 yards to an old fence and lean my gun on a fence post. At the shot I heard the bullet hit but saw a coyote running up the ridge. I jacked another shell in but couldn’t get a shot before the coyote got out of site. I know I heard the bullet hit something and thought that the coyote I saw running was a second coyote. I made my way over to where I thought the coyote was but I couldn’t find it, I started to think that I missed, I kept walking farther down the ridge and finally found my dead coyote. It wass was my first coyote with my new 220 Swift and I was very happy with its performance.

IMG_0736.jpg

On Wednesday I met up with my in-laws and helped my mother-in-law get her a moose. It was a fun day and a lot of work.

Thursday I decided that I was going to call coyotes in an area that I have never called before. I scouted this area this past summer and have been impatiently waiting for it to get cold so I could give it a try. On my first stand of the morning I had a hard charging coyote after about 5 minutes of calling, I got my gun up and “woofed” to stop the coyote and it stopped right behind a sage brush, I tried to sneak a bullet over the brush but I missed and the coyote got away.

My next stand was a blank.

Stand three I had another hard charger but this time I was able to stop him in the open and dropped him at 50 yards with a 30 grain Berger from my 17 Remington, I quickly got on my call again and 30 seconds later I had another coyote follow the same path as the first and dropped it with the 17 Remington. I was amazed at how well the 30 grain Berger put these dogs down with no damage to the hide. These are the first coyotes I have shot with this gun and I am very pleased.

Double.jpg

If you look close you can see both coyotes in this photo, the second coyote is straight above the first coyotes tail. (Cell phone photo)

IMG_0745.jpg

My next stand was another blank,

I was driving farther down the road into some country that I have never scouted looking for my next spot to call when I caught movement on the side of the road, I hit the breaks and saw a badger running through the sage brush, I grabbed the 220 Swift and was able to shoot him as he was running away. As close as this badger was I was expecting some damage to the hide but was surprised when I got to him, I hit him in the head and could only find a small entry hole. This badger has a great hide and so I decided that he needed to go the taxidermist.

Badger-1.jpg

IMG_0751.jpg

I had a goal to shoot a coyote with both of my new guns and was very happy with the results from both the 17 Remington and the 220 Swift, can’t wait to take them out again.

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited:
Back