bobcat lures

I am new here and am wanting to get started in the bobcat trapping here in Co. Live traps is all we are allowed to use but I would like to get some advise on what lures are working for fellow trappers on cats. I will explain my set briefly: 17x24x36 cage type live traps, cover the top & sides with brush put dirt on the bottom and hang a dead rabbit inside by the ears for bait.

You'd probably do better hanging a feather on a piece of fishing line, toward the back of the trap. Tie your string around the middle of the feather so it hangs horizontally and will twirl round in circles and flutter in the breeze. Drives cats crazy when they see it.

Last edited:
I think using the whole rabbit is a bit of overkill. Like Rocky1 said a feather or piece of fur is plenty for visual. Get a good gland lure and some bobcat urine. Put a bit of both is the back of the cage.
The best advice I can give you is to find sign and set on it.

thanks I called bobcats successfully last year and was wanting to pursue the trapping more this year I was told to tie the rabbit by the ears so that tbe rabbit looks like it is sitting looking to the side, works in this area but the feather brought them in to the call. for the gland lure is that a cat gland lure I assume? Thanks for the info.

Read your regulations there CHB you are not able to use cotton tails and if I'm not mistaken jacks either. I use prairie dogs when using bait which is not very often. All I use is a good lure.

I like John Grahams lures really well. Tomcat, a shot of urine and and a curiosity skunky lure up high works well. If I know I'm right on top of the cat then I'll just use a dab of fresh gland lure and a shot of urine.

Originally Posted By: thinkintheboxRead your regulations there CHB you are not able to use cotton tails and if I'm not mistaken jacks either. I use prairie dogs when using bait which is not very often. All I use is a good lure.

HMMMMMM my book says that bait is legal made from legally taken game carcasses Legally taken gamr mammals when permitted. I am not trying to be argumentative, but this came from the 2011 small game brochure furbearers legal hunting methods. I guess if it isn't legal then my interpretation of the rule book is way wrong. I do appreciate the input from all and ordered some klondike lure for when it gets really cold, bobcat pee, and some special moneymaker cage trap lure specifically designed for cage trap and cubby sets, I'm not sold on this stuff yet, but I figured don't knock it till you try it. As for the rabbit for bait, I figured if I kill a few rabbits, and skin them then leave the head attached to the skin, I can eat the rabbits and use the ears, head, and fur as a visual lure for the inside od the cage. It should be fine, right? We have quite a few cottontails here and this sounded good to me. I will eat the rabbits I use unless they are road kill. I will have to change my method of take from a head shot with a 223 to a shot from a 22 LR but Other than that, I think a feather might be more convenient and as effective, especially to bring the cats to the lure in the trap. I thought this was a good idea because the rabbit ears really stand out. I can see them like a light bulb in the dark. If anyone has any tried and true sets for cage trapping cats, let me know please. I juust hope this lure I bought is the stuff and if not, let me know please. thanks for the input it has really been helpful.

I personnaly like to wait till about late january untill I start using any kind of gland or urine. 1st I have noticed that gland lure makes them want to rub on it, but not sure about the cage deal. 2nd bobcat urine attracts things that I dont want like fox skunks and porcypines. I dont mind a fox but when the bobcat walks by your set cuz there was a fox in it, I get a little testy. Its hard to find a good quality bobcat urine unless you get it yourself. My favorite cat lure is cat man do, made by milligan. It has the skunky smell and everything, I am going on 10 years straight for using it and it works well.

That is what I thought about that stuff. I'm not sure if I want the cat to roll when they smell it. I guess it might work if I put the trap in a way that the cat has to walk into the trap to rub, like inside a dirt or rock cubbyhole or the underside of a down tree or an undercut bank or a creek, But I thought it would be better to get them inside the cage for a food or sight rather than to want to roll, but I will try some sets a few different ways and keep the results posted.

I guess I wouldn't know about the cage trapping aspect of it. I use alot of gland lure right from the start and haven't had any trouble with rolled traps. Maybe it's where your placing your lure that's making them roll your set.

Paul Dobbins makes some good bobcat lures that have worked for me. A little bit on a feather hanging in the back of the cage should do the trick.

Originally Posted By: RePeteLots of good Cat lure out there.
Lennon's Bobcat Super All Call along with Fox pee works for me.

2nd. this
thumbup.gif

Leneon's is a good lure !!!!

O Gormans (powder river cat call), Grahm, and Halseth all make good cat lures. You should look at buying Caging Bobcats video from Mercer Lawing. It is well worth the investment and while you are at it get his High Dollar Bobcat fur handling video. Both will pay you back 10 fold. You will not find the magic lure that will take the place of setting on location and even then some cats just wont care to go into your cage.

I might as well take a stab at the "rabbit" for bait issue. They may be used as long as there are NO edible portions. Including the use of roadkill. CO DOW states that all 4 quarters and loins are considered edible portions on small game.

In a cage you would want a cat to roll on the pan!!!!In the start of the season I use coyote pee in the back of my cages.I only want big toms and they will investigate any yote scents.Cats use their noses in a cage a lot,watch some trail cam pics of them smelling everything!!Make sure the wind is going from the back to the front,put some loose feathers in the back.The next day when you check the cage there should be feathers blown out the door or the wind is wrong.

Last edited:
I second the tied up feather. Also O Gormans Powder River Cat Call is a good lure. I have had luck with Blackies Mag Call. I havent cage trapped cats in years and didnt catch many then. But I have had great luck with those tactics with foot traps.

Back