coyote set-ups

savagegns

I hunt here in Michigan and I was hoping for some advice. I often heard that coyotes are very sneaky and that they like cover to conceal their movements on their approach. However I also heard that they will use old logging roads or any path of least resistance to get to your call. If they use these roads and so forth wouldn't they be exposing themselves? Any thoughts on this? What have you experienced? Let me know.

savagegns, I don't believe there is a right answer for this. I have whacked a ton of coyotes in the woods. There really seems to be no rule as to where they will respond from. Upwind, downwind, I have had many trot right down the logging road and many plow straight through the woods. If they come through the woods, you can hear it a mile away if it's dry. You will soon learn to identify animals that respond to your calling by the sound they make coming through the woods. I think of the logging roads as a path for me to use to silently access the area I want to call. When I get to a spot that looks good, I quietly get off the road 25 to 50 yds. I try to keep a eye on the road. No rules with coyotes. I no sooner spouted some absolutes about coyote habits the other day and not even 48 hrs later they broke that rule...twice.
smile.gif

I heard somewhere that roads and trails are natural walkways for coyotes. They will instinctually walk them much like you or I would if we werent thinking about it. I dont hunt much in the woods but more on the grasslands but I learned early on that if you want to find some sign of em look on the roads or along fence lines. You should find track and scat all over em. I think that a road or trail is an invitation for them to come on in. I would think that that would hold true in most terains. Hope that helps.

Savagegns, and twoinchklr, welcome to Predator Masters.

I've heard it said that they generally choose the path of least resistance when there wounded, but like Curt says, "there are no rules", and if there is the coyotes don't seem to care.
Pretty much anything goes.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

i believe that there are rules, or normal behavior patterns, if you will, that determine a coyotes actions. however these patterns are much too complex to understand how any given coyote will respond. much depends upon each coyotes social, or pack position. the list of things thst might determine a coyotes responce to calling is probably endless. weather, crop conditions, hunting pressure, the presence of other predator species, vehicular traffic, etc. still, i set up to watch the covered approaches. i try to set up at or below the elevation of where i'm calling towards. everyone would always like to have the wind in his face and the sun at his back. it's a game of odds and we all try to tip the scales a little bit.
i'm fortunate to live in an area that's open enough that i can frequently spot coyotes before i ever get out of the truck to call. this opportunity has given me the best part of my education in calling. still, i can't wait to see a coyote every time before i set up. i have to make lot's of setups to connect. and that is the best advice that i can give anyone. and stay alert to the coyote thats responding in a manner thats outside of your expectations. there'll be plenty of those.

Back