Her first calling trip

Joel Hughes

Well, we were both sure enough excited, but it turned out to be just one big learning experience for the both of us. I took my 3 year old daughter out for her first calling trip on President's Day. All throughout the day, we rehearsed and talked about how it is done, how to be "like a statue", how we can't talk because the coyotes will see us and then we won't get to shoot em. She seemed to understand, she was VERY excited about going and really wanted Daddy to shoot them mean ole coyokes. She even told Mama before we left the house that we were gonna kill 4 "coyokes". (Don't know where she came up with 4, but that sounded like a good round number to me!) To make a long story short...she couldn't quite sit still and sure wanted to visit with her Daddy. Chunking dirt clods...drawing in the dirt...Repositioning to try and get comfortable..."Daddy, can I blow on MY call now?"..."Daddy! I think I see one!"..."Daddy, my bottom hurts. Can I have a chair?" We made two stands. Needless to say, we didn't see anything. I was a bit frustrated during the stands, but afterwards, and especially now that it's all over, I couldn't have asked for a better time. We both had a blast. And I did get to shoot a jackrabbit which topped off the evening. She told Mama that she was ready to go again, so it must have went well. We'll just have to try again next year when she's 4 and see if we can actually call up something. I think I have accomplished what I really set out to do...get her excited about hunting. Who says this is just for boys!

Here's a picture of the most beautiful coyote hunter in the world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LaurenCoyoteHunt4.jpg

God Bless.

Joel

what a sweety......enjoy them now while ya can...she will always remember that day....its time well spent...thats more important than shooting something....good hunting you two...stump

Oh my! She really is beautiful! The best days afield may be one's that nothing is killed, but where you have your lil sweety along with you.

Joel
She's a carbon copy of my 3 year old.

Mine likes to test all my calls for me.

She also wants to go calling with me, but I'm waiting till next winter.

Good to see you had fun. I'm looking forward to the same with mine.

Thanks for the pic and story.

Brad

Joel--you sure have a cute little daughter there!!! I have a 3-year old granddaughter and if you can get those 3-year olds to sit still for just a second or two I think you have performed a miracle!!! You have next year to look forward to and then the next, and next, etc. Thanks for sharing the cute photo and the story.

My baby boy is now 19. I can't believe how time flies. Time spent with your children is never a waste. She doesn't really care about killing a "coyoke". She just wants to be with daddy. So, take every opportunity you can. You have a hunting partner for life there.

My new hunting partner will be arriving in April and i can't wait to see how well i can shape my kids into the ultimate predator hunters /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yep, it's all about the time spent together. And spending time with my 2 girls is not a problem...They've got me wrapped big time! God is great!

Brad: Mine likes to try out my calls while riding in the truck. I actually let her call a sequence or two on our first stand. She sounds surprisingly decent on a closed reed call. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back