Videos a good Idea?

Devin69

Quincy man faces animal torture charges after ..
Oct 22, 2011 9:31 AM CST
(NOTE: The video posted with this story contains what may be considered graphic footage by some viewers.)

QUINCY, Ill. (WGEM) -- The Adams County State's Attorney is dealing with one of the most serious animal abuse case he's ever seen. Authorities are searching for a Quincy man who has allegedly been videotaping his dogs attacking wild animals then posting the videos to Youtube.

Prosecutors say one video shows Destin Gardner releasing a trapped raccoon then turning his dogs loose to attack it while he cheers them on.

That particular video has more than 300 views and there are dozens more like it, posted to Youtube.

"Is he in more trouble in that sense? Sure, he videotapes his own crime and if that wasn't enough he evidently, or at least there is reason to believe, he uploaded it onto Youtube," said Adams County State's Attorney Jon Barnard.

YouTube is how a local man got wind of it and brought it to the attention of the Quincy Humane Society.

"It's unfathomable to me that someone would think it's okay to do it and that other people are interested or entertained by it," said Quincy Humane Society Executive Director Sally Westerhoff.

Westerhoff says Gardner is not just harming wild animals. He's putting his own pets at risk by exposing them to the potential for disease, injury or even death.

"This is a family dog that lives in their home. You know this wildlife can carry rabies ,all this can be potentially brought back into your home with you, its insane," said Westerhoff.

The State's Attorney Office is pursuing nine charges of animal torture, as well as animal cruelty and depiction of animal cruelty charges.

Aimal torture is a class three felony, with each charge carrying the sentence of up to five years in prison.

Animal cruelty is a class "A" misdemeanor.

The state's attorney says the difference between the two is the motivation of the perpetrator.

"The act is done with intent to create prolonged suffering," said Barnard.

Authorities executed a search warrant on Gardner's home Friday morning and planned to arrest him but he wasn't home.

Sounds like a broken record here in IL. It is unfortunate that there is a 99% probability that the liberal media has misreported all of the facts and a 100% probability that this incident will go nowhere regardless of whether or not anyone is right or wrong. I am not making a judgement here just want to make sure everybody here notices WHERE this information is coming from (IL, Media). My state is so corrupt that I can't believe anything that is reported here. For instance I worked with a fellow that was involved in a simple misunderstanding with a rookie game warden and we just about threw up laughing so hard when we read the report in the papers. It was nothing at all, no charges, nothing, but if you believed what was in the papers you would have thought he was eligible for some kind of midievel execution. There is no hope for us in IL. Save yourselves !

I hope they are a good idea. Ive got dozens posted on YouTube. I think if a guy uses good taste it should be fine though. It is legal to hunt coyotes with a dog last time I checked. I have some that are private. Only people I give the link to can see them. I do think a guy should be careful and keep the really ruff stuff to himself.

Originally Posted By: gonzagaSend them to me Jeff, I wont mind and I wont show them to anyone else.

I think I have already. I usually send you all my juicy stuff.
wink.gif

Doesn't need to be illegal to bring yourself to the attention of these people. They don't care about the legallity of hunting. You can be 100% legal and on the right side of the law and still cause yourself a ton of headaches, heartaches, and money.

AR types look for an easy target and posting videos of dog on animal contact on an open venue is a great way to bring attention to yourself and put a giant target on you and your lifestyle.

Right or wrong it just is that way.

Question is why do you need to post them online at all. Why even open the door for them to attack us.

I think Im going to quit killing coyotes now and make a preemptive strike against the anti's. That ill teach em.

That's fine. There's a difference between not hunting them and posting video on an open site. Decoying videos are one thing and videos like described above are another.

Ask Tim8571 how posting video/pics turned out.

I try to avoid drama and focus on hunting. I'm not saying you should change anything you do. Keep on keeping on. Devin asked a question and I gave my opinion. An opinion gained by learning the hardway about the consquences of posting too many pics.

I'll prefer to stay off the whackos radar and keep hunting without risking any drama.

I hear ya, and agree. I just get my feathers ruffled when the subject of anti's is brought up. I dont like the idea of laying down for the whacko's. On the other hand Im not looking to pick a fight either. Im right and they are wrong, its that simple.

What most guys don't realize or understand is that using a coon or other critter to train your dog might be legal in your state but allowing your dogs to 'chew' on it, would be illegal and fall under animal cruelty in almost every state. Your states DNR may say you have a training season or using an animal to train your dog is alright but your local Animal Control will and can cite you for several animal crualty laws, some are felony's, depending on HOW you use that animal for training. Posting any type of videos like described above on a public forum is just asking for trouble. Your local Animal Control and DNR ARE watching these sites also! Everyday!

Not a good idea. Not only does it give the antis ammo but it opens the door the one posting video to charges. Thanks for posting this Devin!

Yep, I posted some pics and a vid. I got harassed for it. Only thing that was not mentioned was the fact that it is not only the antis you have to worry about. It is other so called "dog men". That is who I just happened to be turned in by, for a bogus charge. That just goes to show you, you do not have to just worry abut the wackos, it is snitches in the hunting world as well.

My pic days are over. You may get stories from time to time. He!!, if they are making it illegal to dump a coon out to your dogs for training, then they should make it just as illegal for a coon in a trash can with a dog thrown in with it.

All in all, yes pics and videos of that sort should not be posted.

Tim

Oh wow, thanks buddy for bringing that to my attention. Only thing is I dont see the coon in a trap, nor a trash can do you?

Believe me my avatar would be the least of anyones problems. I keep the real deal pics and vids to myself.

Tim

Back