.223 ammo for coyotes

I shoot the Black Hills 60 gr soft point out of mine, this is what it does at 100 yards:
1ea1c384.jpg

My barrel has a 1:9 twist, and the faster the twist, the heavier a bullet it can stabilize, which usually will give you your best accuracy, for factory loads. Not to sure on handloads though. If your twist was, say a 1:10 or 1:11, a 55 gr would probably work better, or something similar. Hope my limited knowledge can help.

Last edited:
Winchester White Box 45gr hp is the load that works for me in my rifle. Groups under 1/2" are common with an ocassional group at 3/8".
Shayne

Any of the 50 or 55 grain loads should as well, just have to shoot them and see what your rifle likes.

Originally Posted By: BearAny of the 50 or 55 grain loads should as well, just have to shoot them and see what your rifle likes.

That's the absolute truth. My rifle has a real slow twist and won't stabilize anything heavier than 55gr.
Shayne

Agreed.

In theory the faster twist barrels (1 in 7 or 1 in 8) in .223 will stabilize the heavier 69 grain and up to even 80 grain .223 bullets with higher ballistic coefficients. The great advantage in those heavier and longer bullets is bucking the wind and greater stability at long range (over 300 yards and up to 600 yards). If you are usually shooting at 250 yards and less then you do not NEED a 1 in 7 twist barrel nor do you NEED to shoot 69 grain or heavier bullets. You can still use the same barrel and shoot lighter bullets, but you may give up some accuracy at shorter ranges (100 yards)compared to a slower twist barrel. Still probably "minute of coyote" as they say but maybe not minute of angle with lighter loads. Now this comes form John Holliger at White Oak Armory who recommended his 1 in 12 twist match barrel for 200 yards and under shots and low 50ish grain bullets.

The comments about trying differnt bullets /ammo is spot on as each barrel has its own prefences. I have a 20 inch 1 in 9 twist Bushmaster V Match and can shoot most 50 to 60 grain bullets, some a little better than others for groups of 1 inch or less at 100 yards. I happen to like the Hornady V Max bullets (50, 55 and 60 grain)for their accuracy and excellent terminal effect. (I find the Black Hills ammo in .223 a very good factory load. Blue or red box doen't sem to matter. But some soft points group almost as well for me when paper punching. I have not shot FMJ bullets at coyotes (like the standard 55 grain or 62 grain military rounds). I wonder if they might not expand enough and just pass through. Obvioussly your shot placement is most important with any round.

I tried some 40 -50 grain bullets but I did not think they shot as well for my barrel (i.e., groups at 100 yards.) But guys here use them (lighgter bullets) and they put coyotes down.

Your results may differ. Nobody can say what your barrel will shoot best.

If nothing else it gives you an excuse to put some more rounds down range as you try different loads. Maybe a buddy will reload for you if you do not reload. Buy some different bullets or factory loads and keep a log book or save targets.

Just make sure you shoot an expanding bullet. If you are not saving fur than it does not matter which one as long as its accurate.

Originally Posted By: cole4trainI would like to save the fur...hollow points or ballistic tips?

I shot a coyote with my .223 at about 60yds with a 55grn Sierra HPBT that practically skinned the coyote for me.

However, I'm reluctant to change bullets because of the accuracy I get with them.

Soft points get the nod from me, the more I shoot the more I'm getting away from plastic tipped bullets. Except in my 17m2, I'm forced to with it.

40 gr Nosler Ballistic tip has worked well for me from a 1/8 twist. I have had some mixed results with 55 gr soft points. At less than 100 yds the SP's blew right through and made a mess, but at longer distances I found only an entry wound. The speed of the bullet would most likelly come in to play. Experiment, and see what works for you. Good luck.

Back