.17 HMR FMJ Field Test - WARNING! Graphic Photos!

iLOVEthehunt

Early this year I purchased a Savage 93 in .17 hmr. I heard mixed reviews on whether it was too much gun for squirrels. There are three main bullet types for the .17 hmr, ballistic tip, hollow point, and full metal jacket. I thought the ballistic tip and hollow point may be too much for squirrels, but I wanted to try the fmj because I knew it was less likely to fragment on impact.

This morning I took my first squirrel with the .17 hmr using fmj bullets. I took two shots and connected twice. The first shot entered the underside of the neck with a small entry wound and exited the shoulder with a large exit wound. The second shot was a running shot and it went through the rib cage. The entry and exit holes on the second shot were the same size and were the same diameter as the bullet. Based on the two types of exit wounds, I think the first shot hit some bone and began to tumble sideways before exiting. I've seen .22 bullets do the same, with about the same size exit wound. Pictures are below.

For me, I have found my new favorite squirrel gun and bullet type. I will continue to use the .17 hmr with fmj bullets as my first option for squirrels. It is super accurate and these two shots prove that even without perfect shot placement meat damage can be minimized with the fmj bullet.

First Shot Entry Wound
20110929113330.jpg

By davicas at 2011-09-29

First Shot Exit Wound (The shoulder wound)
20110929112945.jpg

By davicas at 2011-09-29

Second Shot Entry Wound
20110929113407.jpg

By davicas at 2011-09-29

Second Shot Exit Wound
20110929113440.jpg

By davicas at 2011-09-29

Yeah I try to eat everything I shoot, as long as its not a coyote or coon or something like that. Mind you, this was a fox squirrel, I don't think I'd be eating any ground squirrels.

Since squirrel head is crunchy/tough...and the legs are where pretty much all the meat is....use a frangible and head shoot em....not to mention the head is the biggest vital on a squirrel.

I just dont like sending a FMJ anything throught the air.

X

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesI take it you eat em?

Can't be, destroyed half of what you would eat by destroying his front shoulders/legs.

Hopefully you didnt shoot up his back legs so you'll have something to put in the pot for dinner lol.

thumbup1.gif

i used to have a walmart marlin in 17hmr. id just get the vmax and shoot everything i could with it. the squirles around here must have enrolled in advanced ninja evasion manuvers training, or A.N.E.M.T. i always had better luck with a 16 gauge and some 7 1/2 shot or 8 if i could find it.

Actually I already cooked him up and ate him. Had a good bit of meat even though it was only one squirrel. It was really good. I've found that slow cooking it in the oven with some apples removes any gamey flavor. Cooked up some red potatoes and corn with it too. MMMMmmmmmm....so good.

iLOVEthehunt said:
Yeah I try to eat everything I shoot, as long as its not a coyote or coon

BBQ coon is good eating if par boiled to remove the fat first. A friend owns a farm store and has a wild game dinner for his customers every year. This past year the coon chili and the coon dressing ws very good. The coon chili was amazingly good.

Shayne

Originally Posted By: yotehunter57
iLOVEthehunt said:
Yeah I try to eat everything I shoot, as long as its not a coyote or coon

BBQ coon is good eating if par boiled to remove the fat first. A friend owns a farm store and has a wild game dinner for his customers every year. This past year the coon chili and the coon dressing ws very good. The coon chili was amazingly good.

Shayne

You are a braver man than me. I've coon hunted a lot and I don't think I could bring myself to eat one.
sick.gif
A buddy of mine shot an 18 pounder just last night.

yeah, you have to head shot them, I lost a few with my 17m2s when doing body shots. They are never too far from their dens to begin with and crawl in them and die

Originally Posted By: getfoxyI've noticed that with 17 m2 as well 17 tactical. Even though it blows the heart and lungs out they still manage to run.

You guys must have some tough squirrels.. Here I shoot them with a GAMO air rifle and they are DRT...

Originally Posted By: getfoxyI've noticed that with 17 m2 as well 17 tactical. Even though it blows the heart and lungs out they still manage to run.

Lordy foxy, the 17 tac. has more powder capacity than the 17 rem. I generally don't use the 17 Rem. on squirrels but I have removed a few reds with it off the wifes bird feeder and they don't run, but pieces sure do fly.
grin.gif

Back