Gentlemen,

therayne

Hello Gentlemen, I am a 50 year old father of two that's been looking at shooting 'yotes for a few years now because of the white tail decline in my area. An avid hunter for decades but 'fresh out of the box' new to this. My questions are simple to start. At what distances are we shooting, (I hunt now with a Marlin 45/70 for deer and black bear)? And should I start with an electronic call or mouth call set up?

Go forth with your 45-70! Electronic or mouth call is up to you. Nice thing about electronic is they are focused on the caller and not you.

Welcome to Predator Masters!!!!!!!!!!

Most of my shots are under 100 yards and every so often I get to take a long shot.

I started with an electronic call and then moved to some hand calls.If I am hunting alone I prefer electronic so the coyotes attention is drawn to the sound away from me.If I have a buddy with me I will use the hand calls and let them take the shot if possible.

The 45-70 will work fine if you arent saving pelts, distances vary based on terrain, if you are in tight cover a good shotgun will work good, see sticky in the firearms forum.

Id start with the hand calls personally, that way if you decide its not for you, well then you arent out a ton of money, lots of them out on the shelves at the big box stores to start with

watch a few DVDs to get you some basic ideas and to get the drive going. or you can find some online, they have free episodes on the various network websites.

be prepared for a slow start, its like pushing a car, sucks at first but once you get it rolling its much easier.

Welcome, I am new here myself and the folks here are quite nice!
I think a 45-70 will make two coyotes every time you hit one
wink.gif
so twice as many (smaller) pelts.
There are a few coyote hunting videos on youtube, I personally liked the Coyote Kid ones better than others.

Originally Posted By: PaulDaisyWelcome, I am new here myself and the folks here are quite nice!
I think a 45-70 will make two coyotes every time you hit one
wink.gif
so twice as many (smaller) pelts.
There are a few coyote hunting videos on youtube, I personally liked the Coyote Kid ones better than others.

x2 on the coyote kid... Great bunch here at PM..

Been watching the shows on the hunting channels lately, looking forward to having a blast! I'm not a in-it-for-the-pelt kinda guy, just want them dead. I like the remote caller idea as well. My son has an AR, and I'll get him to go when he's home from college. Thanks guys!

AR's area great choice, I use a 16in Specialized Dynamics flat top in .223, or I use my shotgun with Dad Coyote T-shot load or #4 buckshot. I usually get them well within 100 yards, as in maybe 20-40. I just took a fox last weekend at 30 yards. I use a FoxPro Scorpion, it is a little spendy initially, but after you try a few different e-callers, and end up with a FoxPro you could have saved $ by buying the FoxPro first. Hand calls work, but the e-caller is more forgiving for a new hunter. Watch your wind, and movement. Those two things will get you busted faster than just about anything else.

It's a lot of fun, and very addictive.

Welcome.

I will stick with my 45/70, and will be getting a FoxPro this weekend. It just looks like the right move.

But if starting with a bark, then to a rabbit squeal, with a rabbit decoy...wouldn't you use a 'rabbit' scent near the decoy, and a 'no-scent' spray on yourself. Or that doesn't work on dogs?

You wont fool a coyotes nose, put your effort towards avoiding his nose, and use it to your advantage.

Save your money don't buy the fancy spray's.

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyYou wont fool a coyotes nose, put your effort towards avoiding his nose, and use it to your advantage.

Save your money don't buy the fancy spray's. This is my opinion as well.
I know of good callers that smoke between stands.
Make the wind work for you and you won't need the fancy sprays.
JMO

Welcome. A few things I would do is get a DVD or 2 from a reputable caller. The Randy Anderson DVD's are good. In the DVD you will learn tips & hear how the sounds are supposed to sound, of course variations are normal.

The book, 'Predator Hunting', by Gerry Blair is among the best in book form.

I'd get a mouth call or 2, Crit-R-Call 'Pee Wee'(or standard), & the Burnham Brothers 'Mini-Blaster' are 2 all time favorites.

I wouldn't get to hung up with scent spray & decoys. You MUST play & be aware or wind & breezes. Always be aware of which way you scent is blowing. I don't go overboard with scent sprays because I don't think it will matter enough, if the breeze is wrong. I setup with the wind in my favor.

For the most part here in the Eastern woods, when/if a coyote sees your decoy it's time for you to shoot. My experience anyway. If on a frozen lake or field edge it may be different.

We hardly call on the open unless it's at the 1st crack of dawn or at night. We are usually in thick cover with shotguns. That is where that coyote that left those tracks at 2 A.M. will want to be once it gets light.

Setting out a decoy can spread more scent, there you go too walking out in the open 20 yards or so. It's key to quietly get in position, sit, give it 3 minutes & start the set. You want no movement & no other noise. When that coyote shows up inside of 5 minutes you know he was very close as you set up.

The remote Foxpro is nice, have one myself, but there is a lot of HUNTING that goes into a successful setup. I like the Foxpro to get the sound away from me & also the variety of sounds. I still like to toot on a mouth call half the time though. An $800 caller won't make up for deficiencies elsewhere.

It's important to call at a spot that has a higher likelihood of holding a predator. That sounds simple & common sense but takes a little planning/scouting.

You can use any gun you have & a $12 mouth call & be on your way. Just some ramblings.

Tony Tebbe's DVD also comes highly recommended, I own it personally and have learned a lot from it, also learned a lot from Coyote Kid on youtube. Welcome to PM and good luck on thinning out the yotes.....just a word of caution "its addicting".

Thanks for all of the insight and knowledge. I have the no-scent spray from deer/bear hunting and thought it might work with the yotes as well.

Welcome to PM. When I first started I thought I was going to be doing a lot of long range shooting but I havent taken a yote over 100yds yet. I started with an e-caller and have bought some hand calls since. I havent taken a yote by hand calling alone as of now. All my yotes came in with my ecaller. Im just afraid to mess up a good stand with some poor hand calling. Good luck and Happy Hunting.

Back