Ruger 77/357 ... Your thoughts & opinions

Ricky Bobby

I've been looking really hard at this new model put out by Ruger this year! The only Ruger I own or have owned is a 77/22 Hornet that I would never part with, so I'm thinking I could really like the 77/357. I've wanted a rifle in a pistol caliber for quite sometime & I'm all setup already to reload for the .357mag. I can't express enough how much I like the rotary style clips for a hunting rig & this little rifle weighs in somewhere around 5 lbs. I think it would make for a great carry or pack rifle & would handle or shoulder rather well! Another feature I like is the iron sights, but could always opt for some good glass on it down the road if need be. The REAL question I have is: What kind of performance could I expect out of a .357mag in the rifle version? How far of shots could I make clean kills & on what sizes of game? I don't really need it, but I sure think it could be a dandy little rifle to carry & shoot! Your thoughts please.
wink.gif

ive used a .357 lever gun on around 7 deer, a few bigger bucks, mostly doe.

Longest shot was around 100yds give or take, cant recall atm but I Dont know if Id go much past that, without alot of testing/trigger time.

I found that the 158 semi jacketed soft points work the best. Ive tried 180 hard cast and some hollow points.

up close the fusion HP stuff is a hammer, blows a heck of a hole in them, but kinda poops out at longer ranges that Ive found, made for handguns so take it for what it is.

I prefer a lever, but a nice bolt with a 1-4 light handy scope would be pretty fun, have handled one, and its pretty nice!

now you could find someone to ream it out to a maximum and youd have a neat little camp/pack gun! that is if the magazines are long enough LOL

Last edited:
The 357 in a rifle is a good bit different than the 357 in a handgun. I think it is an excellent choice for a light weight deer rifle.

Pretty hard to get any reviews since the rifle in that cartridge is brand new.

I also believe those barrels are now threaded. That is a plus IMO.

I did not have alot of luck with the accuracy in the two 22 Hornets that I had. But you can't win them all. I have heard both good and bad reports on accuracy in that rifle. But the newer models are definitely better.

I heard Hornady is bringing out a new 17 Hornet this year. If Ruger chambers that in thir compact rifle then I will probably try another one. I also heard Ruger is going to offer those rimfire and handgun cartridge rifles in a left hand version. That should be real nice.

I don't think you could possiby go wrong with one. And like you said they would be very light to carry, and they do handle very well. Buy it and give us a report!! Tom.

Yes, a little more than your average 6" handgun. I still feel it would be lacking somewhat with deer at 75 yards+, & similar game. I agree it would be a 'cool' gun though. For a range gun/predators, no problem.

I'd want to step it up to at least a 44 mag. Didn't they make a 77/44mag? The next step is a lightweight rifle in 243 on up, Model 7 or Browning Micro-Hunter come to mind.

The OP wasn't real specific about intended use. I do think it would be a cool gun, just not my 1st choice to get the job done. I did shoot a small 8 ptr years back with a 357 mag handgun. It was very close range & the deer only went about 40 yards after 4 hits. My Knight shows a steady 1950 fps across the chrony with a 250 grn SST & 120 grns of B209.

Just a few 'thoughts & opinion', nothing more.

Last edited:
Most factory rifles will push standard 357 Magnum factory rounds between 1600-1800 fps from a rifle. That would be a standard round with a 158 grain bullet. Heck they will push the heavier(charge) rounds up to, and past 2,000 fps.

Most 50 caliber rifles push a 50 caiber round ball which weighs about 177 grains at about 1600 fps, and some alot slower. Would you limit a round ball from a 50 caliber to 75 yards?? Really??

I have used 357 rifles. Trust me there is no comparision in velocity between handguns and rifles with the 357. Yes the 357 is nominal in a handgun for deer, but still effective. I might limit my handgun shooting with a 357 to 75 yards. But in a rifle it is a real killer. And definitely does not need to be limited to 75 yards. Especially if you load your rifle rounds to a bit higher pressure than a standard factory round that also has to be shot in the older weaker revolvers.

Take a look at some of the heavier single shot or rifle only ammo. You will be suprised. Tom.

Last edited:
We have a Older H&R 357 single shot that shoots very well at 100 yards. Over the last 20 years my sons and grand kids have shot 8 deer with the gun from 20 yards out to 100 yards. I does the job but the deer go a little further than I would like to see. The H&R shoots 357 Maximum, Magnums and 38's, we like the magnums best in this gun.

Back