should you use a coon for training???

Gotcha.
So how does Gunner know which coyotes to run/catch and which to decoy back to the truck? Or is he catching YOYs and getting run back to the truck by adults, aka 'decoying' them?

From the coyote wagon guys with stags I've conversed with, it takes a VERY special stag to single catch/finish an adult coyote.
So, Gunner can 'catch' a coyote on the open prairie with relative ease, and retains the ability to decoy them back to shotgun range as well?
Who is in control & decides what to Gunner is to do, and with which coyote? Does he really have THAT much sense to decide what to do on his own?
How does this dog handling work? Are you 'toning' him into 'decoy mode'? Or is he in 'decoy mode' until you sicc'em on a coyote?

If he likes to catch jackrabbits, aren't there enough around for him to 'trash' out of performing his decoy/ catchdog combo role? Or does he only chase jacks when there are no coyotes around to run down & kill, or decoy? (I ask because I've broke my pup off rabbits)

Sounds like an awful lot going on, especially under the stars! Heck, I thought it be a might be alot to expect my pup to decoy coyotes the day & tree coon at night!!! You've got a whole nutha level of specialized dog work going on there...

He doesn't know which one to catch and which one to decoy. He is just figuring it out now. He's tried decoying back coyotes that have been poorly shot, on three or four stands in a single night. I was less than pleased that they got away, but I couldn't reprehend a dog for trying to naturally decoy. Sometimes, he will catch a coyote, roll it up, you can hear the fight on, and I will beep him back, bringing the coyote in tow. Sometimes, not.

The other night, we had a coyote coming in good. It stopped at 50 yards out. My buddy Scott shot at it, but his bullet clipped the top wire of a barb fence. Coyote took off, Gunner chased and caught it about 200 yards out. In the midst of the fight, another coyote came from a different direction. By this time, Gunner was coming back from the fight, stopping and looking over his shoulder, trying to bring the coyote back to the rig. The second coyote circled downwind of where the the fight took place and my wife shot at it. It was a pretty far night time shot and she missed. The coyote took off. Gunner ran back out to the second coyote, worked the area hard, ran it's scent, then came back to the rig, with coyote in tow. No commands were given, as we sat back and watch to see how it would all unfold.

Sometimes commands are given, other times he takes things into his own paws. He's had enough experience on stands that he knows when things are going to he// in a hand basket. The other morning, we had a coyote approach us on our backside, standing on a sandhill 10 yards behind us. Noone had a shot. Coyote sized up the situation and decided to bail out. Gunner decided to try and decoy him. No command given. Coyote didn't decoy back, but was proud of him for trying to save the stand.

There is no 'trashing' when it comes to jackrabbits. The dogs will run past 100 rabbits to go after a coyote. But, if we are on a calling stand and a jackrabbit charges in to the call, I'll sick him on them. The hot pursuit barking and chasing adds to the stand. I've had the dogs take off after rabbits, only to drag an unseen coyote back to the stand, from the ruckus. When calling, you are creating chaos on the scene. A rabbit squalling, dog chasing it, let alone catching it...it all makes for some exciting coyote action.

It's not rocket science, it's just hunting. Hope that helps.

Tony

Different strokes for different folks, but if you want your dog to be able to fight coyotes put him on coyotes. Coons fight allot different than a yotes will. If your dog has learned to fight coons, and runs into a wounded or bayed yotes and thinks he is gonna grab it by the back or belly and shake and squeeze until it gives up its throat, well I hope you know how to sew.

Like I said, I will put any fog on a coon if I want to see what kind of grit it has, they are easy to trap, and put up a good fight, but unless im training a coon dog, im not going to use it as a training device. Shoot even when I train coon hounds I rarely turn one loose on a live coon on the ground and let them fight.

JMO

Good discussion guys,
Since it was asked, (I don't remember by who), I have had dogs "hit" by an aggressive coyote, many times, generally no big deal, but no secret I run a bigger dog than some.
I did have a dog "whipped" at night, but that was at a den,in chest high brush in the dark. We killed three adults, and packed an 85 # catahoulla stud back to the rig.Knowing how to fight, and being on over 100 yotes by that point of his life didn't help him win, all he won that night was "first loser".Some DEX,and two days off, he was healing up fine.Most of the country I hunt, If a dog gets more than 50 yards they are out of sight.
Very simple, no matter how tough a dog is, he only has teeth on one end, 3 yotes have teeth all the way around, and can do damage if they set their mind to it.One out if the fat dog could catch a yote, it would be in trouble, fact is, a single yote would run away most times.
As for "fido licking his nuts", and gettin nailed,I guess it would serve him right.
The "coon deal" is and should be "to each there own".
I don't think it hurts, not sure that it helps.
I do know that the more any dog is used,(cowdogs,decoy dogs, hounds) the better they are.

A side note, thanks for keeping this a freindly discussion.
Duane

Originally Posted By: Duane@ssuA side note, thanks for keeping this a freindly discussion.
Duane

We did ?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Aaron_ProffittOriginally Posted By: Duane@ssuA side note, thanks for keeping this a freindly discussion.
Duane

We did ?
laugh.gif

Absolutely! Great spirited, thought provoking debate/disagreement without personal attacks.

To me this deal doesn't work when folks are trying to win or convince others over to their way. This thread allowed for everyone to consider all input and form their own thoughts of what might work for them.

If this keeps up there will be all kinds of new guys posting around here.

thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyIf you boys aren't careful you will have your dogs treeing coyotes and decoying coons! Haha!

or WORSE!!!

This dog was from an experimental breeding that didn't pan out...

raccoon.jpg

You guys are reading way too much into this, clearly this is the start of a wrestling match and the coon can't decide if he is a north or a south paw!

Lots of good info here. I own a one and a half year old black lab. He is about 75 lbs and very stocky with alot of unused energy. He never leaves my eyesight when he is outside with me. Would it make any sense to bring him along on a daytime call stand for maybe nothing more than a visual decoy for any incoming coyotes? Would love to have a hunting buddy and get him out of the house.

Back