shot placement?

mtwood24

Howdy all, I just bought a new Weatherby Vanguard in 22-250 and am shooting 50 grain vmax superformance factory loads till I get a reasonable amount of brass to start reloading. I am looking to keep fur on the coyotes, so where is the preferable shot? if I hit shoulder bones, the bullet should not exit right? we rarely get within 100 yards of yotes around here.... Thanks for your input!

With a fairly hot load like that I would stay away from all large bones. You can get a splash and or a big mess.
I like 50 gr and chest or head shots are best close in. Out a bit farther body shots work good away from large bone.

55 gr soft point is good for less damage even close up, just not as fast or flat shooting.

It may be my imagination, but it seems like when i hit a coyote farther back in only soft tissue, there is a much larger exit wound. is that typical?

Stay away from shoulder bones, if you want to save fur. Go for the lungs, right behind the shoulder. Stay away from the backbone, as well. It'll ruin the best part of the hide and split a huge chunk off into the air. If a frontal shot, go for the chest, right where it dips in from the neck. Don't pull the shot right or left, otherwise you splash the shoulder and have a mess...or lost coyote.

Tony

Mtwood24, Maybe this will help a little on your shot placement...If you mentally draw a line down the neck and one up the front leg, the area where they intersect, is about your best spot for a DRT....

CoyoteVitalSpotc.jpg

The heart is located just about there, between the lungs...

Quote:It may be my imagination, but it seems like when i hit a coyote farther back in only soft tissue, there is a much larger exit wound. is that typical?

Yes when shooting fast ballistic tips at closer range a broadside shot can blow out the other side.

Originally Posted By: tripod3Quote:It may be my imagination, but it seems like when i hit a coyote farther back in only soft tissue, there is a much larger exit wound. is that typical?

Yes when shooting fast ballistic tips at closer range a broadside shot can blow out the other side.

True.

No shoulder, shoot right off the elbow, and they will crumple. But if you are looking for fur go with a shotgun or a .223

Just my $0.02

our typical shot is 200- 300 yards, and a lot of times on the run. our coyotes are pretty cagey and call savvy. I thought that the 22 250 was one of the better varmint calibers on the market, especially for this kind of shooting. Why is this a poor assumption?

I am just starting myself, and have a .223 and a .243. I decided I will start out with a .223 and load the .243 down to something like 2,900 fps to preserve the pelts. If I get too much penetration I will just slow down the loads. Cold weather will slow them down too, some.

Having never owned a 22-250, this is just an observation. It is a fine fine coyote round with the right bullet. I think a heavier built bullet would result in less pelt damage, ie, a 55gr sp, or a 60gr Nosler Partition.
Maybe going the other way, a lighter bullet that won't exit.
Heck, the fur is bad and worthless here in Arkensaw, so this has never been a concern for me.
Best of luck

Shayne

Quote:eek:ur typical shot is 200- 300 yards, and a lot of times on the run. our coyotes are pretty cagey and call savvy. I thought that the 22 250 was one of the better varmint calibers on the market, especially for this kind of shooting. Why is this a poor assumption?

At that distance you should be good. The .22-250 is a great choice with a very small learning curve.

try 55gr psp bullets and they should give quarter to half dollar size exits.Just stay away from bones on the entry side.

ive shot a bunch of Montana dogs spot and stalk with a '250 and factory barnes ttsx rounds with tiny entrance and less than a dime size exit. these were all behind the shoulder broadside shots. personally for saving fur with a '250 get a better constructed bullet. like a SP, or like i said i really liked the performance of the ttsx

heck we shot a coyote and badger outside of RoundUp within 30 seconds of each other, the coyote had results like i said above, and the badger was shot in the chest looking at me and it exited right in front of the genitals in the stomacheish area with a very small exit as well. both with ttsx

ya they are pricey, but i figured with the amount of shots taken at coyotes in W. Mt where i lived, a box of them lasts a while, and that is all they were used for. but if shooting a ton of dogs like some of the fellas on here your could go broke shooting them.lol

Back