What is the best DIY decoy?

Kaianuanu

I was wondering what you guys thought the best DIY decoy would be. Should i put some effort into an electronic one or is the simple feather on an arrow just as good. If it makes, a difference, i am making a wireless e-caller.

I have both styles and each work to take a coyotes eyes off you if they see it moving.
Walmart carrys the Primos sit n spin for $28 (same as the MOJO, but has a speed knob)
I made the FoaS using a pheasant wing, 30lb mono & a black snap swivel.

Hard to answer this question since I have no idea what your DIY skills are.

You could spend $40.00 and buy a MOJO Critter and be done with it.

Originally Posted By: KaianuanuI was wondering what you guys thought the best DIY decoy would be. Should i put some effort into an electronic one or is the simple feather on an arrow just as good. If it makes, a difference, i am making a wireless e-caller.

Can you solder parts onto perf board?

If so, I've got the design for a driver board. It was posted in the "Electronic calls" forum a while back, but I'll repost the schematic if you want.

I've always used 2-3 Turkey tail feathers tied with some mono line and hanging from a nearby tree or shrub brush....Don't know if that is necessarily "the Best", but they are easy to maintain/store, light to carry, and flutter in the slightest breeze with no batteries to worry about..

I cant do any of the driver soldering or that type of high level electronic work, but i can do stuff like wiring, basic soldering, and im good at the mechanical aspects. however, I have decided that im just going to hold out on a decoy or try the feather on the arrow, as I have decided that i am going to build a wireless e-caller first.

Originally Posted By: KaianuanuI cant do any of the driver soldering or that type of high level electronic work, but i can do stuff like wiring, basic soldering, and im good at the mechanical aspects. however, I have decided that im just going to hold out on a decoy or try the feather on the arrow, as I have decided that i am going to build a wireless e-caller first.

Okay. If you haven't built on perf board before, it's a real PITA the first few times.

It's cheap, but I don't recommend it for anyone that hasn't done a LOT of soldering. You'll get mad.
cursing.gif

A wireless E-caller is a lot easier.
thumbup1.gif

I use a brown stuffed animal with a long tail. I pushed a coat hanger up through its tail and tied two turkey feathers on it. I stick the coat hanger in the ground next to my FP Spitfire so that the feathers are free of grass and bushes and the breeze does the rest. So my DIY decoy looks like a small critter with a long tail straight up in the air and a couple of feathers fluttering in the wind. Works for me.

Last edited:
I did the weasel ball decoy today. I went to Lowes and picked up a 3/16 dia. piece of steel 3' long and had it done in about 15 minutes including paint. My only varient was I didn't use a bungee and i bent the hook at a slight angle so the "weasel" tail would touch the rod to give it a different action.

Originally Posted By: layback04I did the weasel ball decoy today. I went to Lowes and picked up a 3/16 dia. piece of steel 3' long and had it done in about 15 minutes including paint. My only varient was I didn't use a bungee and i bent the hook at a slight angle so the "weasel" tail would touch the rod to give it a different action.

Let me know how that works out, I like that Idea of bending the hook instead of adding the small piece lower down for the tail to hit.

Be sure to sew or tie on a piece of "white" fur or cloth on the end of the tail for added visibilty.

Lee

There is a guy on YouTube that shows you how to make one out of a cheap remote controlled car. It seems like it would work. But if it were me and could afford it I would get a mojo. Can't beat them for the money as long as you can keep the hawks and coyotes from taking them.

Lee, I have actually been keeping my eyes peeled in the woods for a turkey or pheasant feather. The white feather sounds like a good idea too.

I have used several electronic decoys and I have used the turkey feather on an arrow with fishing line. IMO the feather on an arrow worked better than the two electronics Ive used. I dont use a decoy at all anymore due to coyotes hanging up at 300, 400 yards and just looking at it until they would finally spook!

Back