Actual field use w/the new PrimosTurbo Dogg ...UPDATED 10-13 HUNT

5spd

Took the new Primos Turbo Dogg caller out today calling w/my pal that bought it.
Distance is POOR IMO, unless you have it about 12" off the ground & within 60 yds at least.
Our 1st set he had it about 60 yds from us and was getting no response as the early rally calls were going on with a group of coyotes about 200ys over a hill from us.
It did no use as it was not responding, both units have new batteries in them.
I went right to my mouth calls and started to do my own rally calls. I had them within 100 yds in the dark (could not see 100' yet), but then my pal had to stand up and that did it for that set.
He did not realized they were coming in at a trot and saw him get up to go to his call.
I was 30' from him & could not yell "GET Down"...hahhaha
Daylight and we tested the unit for distance. He went 40 yards, I put it on the ground, he was standing up and gave me a thumbs down...no anttenna on the remote showing. I picked it up, it was good.
Back on the ground...NO, I raised it about 12" yup, he has connection.
He walked 100yds from me & I have it at waist level....GOOD.
I put it behind my back...NO, move it to my front...he gets a connection with it. He moves to 170 yds & with me holding it at waist level he has connection. Behind my back NO connection. On the ground NO connection, I raise it to about 2' off the gorund, he has connection.
I do this 8 times to insure my findings....It has to be direct view for both to talk to each other.
The rest of or 6 sets were with it at about 12" and in a shrub off the ground.
This is all open ranchland with nothing but sagebrush and maybe 10-12" grasses.
The wind kicked to about 20MPH and we called it quits.
Very loud for flatland calling IMO
Remote/call distance POOR IMO.

There are about 10 to many young coyote locater/whimper sounds. Not much variation between them all IMO.
Not enough female sounds.
Not enough rabbit/rodent sounds.
I heard a bit of white noise in the call speaker when on pause or between sounds.
Definatly needs an antenna on the base....IMO!
The remote does not have a rolling scroll screen. Once you get to the bottom of a sound list it does not roll back to the top, you have to scroll back up manually or exit to the main lists.
You have to manually go to the main sounds and open each group to get to each sound. It would be nice to be able to run through them fast instead of hunting around for them. I know...price point unit!
You can change the screen color on the remote from white to orange for nite/early morning usage which is nice.
You can set up your own hunts by moving your favorite sounds to this so you do not have to scroll through each sound to get where you want.
I found that I do not like the 1st Expert Hunt either, it seems that it would scare of others instead of inviting them with the adult locater barks. I know it can be changed also.
I think the Adult male locator sounds too much "I'm the Alpha and you are not" so dont even bother to respond.
There is no Primos site support (downloads, software upgrades like the instuctions say) at this time either.
I still have no answer from am email I sent them last week about my (the end user) concerns and questions.
Now I do know he can download all the sounds that would fit our calling area/coyotes, but this is just all my own opinion of said call as it comes new with no changes.

Thanks for the information. I was going to get this caller but after hearing this I will look at the new Johnny Stewart caller when it comes out.

Not all but most sound as live as some ecallers claim. As far as dominant they sound like coyotes that I have heard close up and personal.And if these sounds work as good as the PowerDogg in my state its gonna be a hard call to beat. And like the rest you can add your own sounds if you do not like whats on the ecaller. But as far as the build it is built well the OP must just have bad luck with them. Cabelas will have a man put either the Echo, TurboDogg, or any ecaller at the front of the store near the firearm section and show the remote distance and we put them in the custom gun shop office, door open though, and he went to the rear of the store and ran both ecallers fine. I bought the MA as this guy OP said his Echo was a poor quality ecaller and made cracking noises only to hunt with a buddy a week later who has one that works fine and he beats his hunting stuff up hunting and has killed many predators with it. As far as the sounds, not all sounds are going to work the same at every set and even beginner coyote hunters know that. I do know that Randy Anderson sounds work as a friend uses a PowerDogg and they pull in coyotes in pressured areas. I think the OP is going to have a hard time finding a ecaller that suites himself because these calls are selling and hunters are and have been killing with them. Just my logical review and many other hunters whom I have spoke with on other sites and reviews I have read.
I have seen 2 TurboDoggs that work fine I will check a few more before I buy since this post. Because I am not going to buy something I don't like OR a ecaller just because 3 million hunters own 1. I want it to call predators and bring them in. I have many friends who own ecallers and kill very little in PA. But seems PA. is a tough state baiting, or hounds is probably the best way to hunt coyotes here.Possibly the OP just has bad luck with the few he has purchased. Seems he did say they could load the sounds that work in his area and it should work out to 170 yars putting the ecaller a foot off the ground. I don't a hunter could ask for much more for $140 dollars.
And at waist level at 170 yards and the remote working not many $600 calls can do that. So I will wait and see since the ecaller I have now works fine.

223adl....I will bite what Ecaller manufacturer claims to have live sounds that you don't believe truly are live??? If you don't mind could you list the sounds as well Id like to hear them for myself.

Originally Posted By: Ursus21I'll ask again. Are the sounds man made or from live animals?
I do not know myself & its not stated any place that I could find.
I am a hand call user 100% when I go for coyote.
This call was purchased by a pal of mine and the field use is just my own opinion after using it with him.

I am not going to write this caller off just yet, it has a lot of the things I like, the price and volume are the big ones. I will wait and see if others have problems with the remote before I judge this caller.

5spd let me rephrase my question then. Did the sounds sound like they were from real animals or hand calls (man-made)? I know with FoxPro and several other companies it's pretty easy to tell the difference just by listening.

Ursus,
Dog locator/whimpers/female whines, young whines, rabbits, rodents all sounded hand done.
Some of the dogs sounded real.
My hearing is not super, but thats how I felt listening to some of them.

I took it out again today alone to give it a workout at one of the places I call at.
I made a riser pole that attaches to the remote docking slot and is now set at about 12" up off the ground.
This is due to the fact that when on the ground at 50-60 yards it fails to read on the remote.
I set it up with my MOJO at 70 steps below me in one of the creeks that splits into 3 directions.
So the call works perfectly with me above it and it off the ground at that distance which is my normal for electronic calls.
As you can see there is nothing blocking the call from this side.
I dropped a coyote at this set also with the help of the Turbo Dogg coming to the fawn distress w/coyote barks.
You can see the Turbo on the right how its standing.
I move 2 miles off, set it up similar and me at 40 yards in the grasses, its at the crest of a hill, but still low...of course I do not get any remote connection to the caller again & being close and low to it.
I hold the remote up as I am laying prone and it gets signal, I drop it so I can read it and it looses signal.
I am pointing it right at the base unit at 40 yards in the grasses & I can see the caller and it is not sending any signal to the remote. I am not happy with its signal performance again & glad I did not buy it myself. I sit up and get signal, but thats no good as its flat at this spot and I stand out like a tree even with my APC kill suit on.
AGAIN...works great with direct view with NOTHING blocking the calls view to the remote as in my 1st set earlier.
I am done testing it.
Lay low to the ground & it losses signal every time.
I drop it off at my pals house. I do like it for the sounds/loudness, but not for the loss of signal at spitting distances due to grasses/shrubs its sitting in.

I just now saw on the Primos site, upgrades/software listed as of today, so there IS some support for said unit.
10-14hunt007.jpg

5spd, that's a nice review/test in ACTUAL field conditions.

And about the identical experience I've had with any and all of the callers on the market that don't use a more advanced sending/receiving system such as FHSS.

FCC regulations being what they are, all the e-callers (except the ones using FHSS) are pretty much sisters with different hair colors when it comes right down to the nitty gritty of sending and receiving.

Primos CS sent me an email today saying they will replace the remote.
He said that is not acceptable performance from it, of course I agree 100%
I have to say I am happy they will try to resolve that big problem for my pals Turbo Dogg caller.
I had sent them a link to this site on my usages so I hope that helped.

Originally Posted By: vmax_blasterThanks for the information. I was going to get this caller but after hearing this I will look at the new Johnny Stewart caller when it comes out.
what new one? feel me in

Originally Posted By: ig25Originally Posted By: vmax_blasterThanks for the information. I was going to get this caller but after hearing this I will look at the new Johnny Stewart caller when it comes out.
what new one? feel me in
These ones:
New calls

My dad just bought a Turbo Dog. The remote seems to work pretty well, didn't put it more than about 40 yards away. The call works well called in 3 coyotes in 6 stands. I was thinking that was pretty good.

Back