9 mm carbine or 22 mag.

Jeff V

This property I recently picked up the owner won't let me use a centerfire rifle on. Oct hunted it with a shotgun but I've only got around 40 yards of effective range. Oct been lookin into buying a 9mm carbine or a 22 mag for other reasons than yote hunting but now I need it for those as well. Which would you choose and why. Id put a scope on whatever I chose and i can't see many places on the land that I'd have further than a 125 yard shot

I'm not sure what the actual restriction is but The 9mm carbine would technically be a centerfire rifle. Anyway, assuming that it fits in what the property owner is comfortable with, I would look really hard at that carbine. I'm not sure what the velocity would be but I'm guessing it would be 1500 fps or better. That is getting awfully close to 22mag velocity with a larger bullet. trajectory might be similar. If it is, I'd go 9mm. If you can't get a decent trajectory with 9mm to reliably shoot out to 125 yards, go 22 mag.

A quick look at Hornady's site suggests the 22WMR out or a 24inh barrel has similar velocity/energy as the 9mm out of a 4inch barrel. I'm guessing a 16inch barrel would increase the 9mm even more, depending on powder burn. If you are a handloader and can work with some slower burning powders I'd bet the 9mm would probably exceed the 22mag.

I'm always a fan of bigger holes.

Any chance a range in your area has a 9mm carbine for rent that you can see how trajectory is at 100yds?

For a multitude of reasons the 9mm is gonna be far more effective than any .22M ever made. Even 9mm from a handgun is gonna smoke the terminal performance of a .22M rifle. That is, if you can hit what you're aiming at.

The one question I have is conerning the accuracy of the 9mm carbines avilable. 3 MOA should be good enough for the ranges your talking about but are the carbines up to that? If so.......we have a winner.

Blue Can is right though, 9mm is a centerfire and check with the owner. If he say's 9mm is ok, a pistol caliber lever gun might make even a better choice although I will admit that a semiauto 9mm carbine would be a hoot.

CB

+1 for the 9mm carbine technically being a centerfire rifle...

That being said, if they'll let you, do it. I have a Beretta CX4 Storm I did a flat top conversion to... I love it. I added magpul sights since the pic. You could put a 1-4x scope on this and do pretty well. These are surprisingly accurate.

DSC_2031.jpg

I had a Beretta CX4. Great little carbine and boy did it shoot. I had no problems keeping 1.5 inch groups with mine at 100 yards with federal hydras +P

BTW...your CX4 looks great at4rxj...nice gun!!

The owner is concerned with the long range a stray 223 bullet can travel a rimfire or pistol cal bullet will end up in the dirt sooner than any bottle necked cartridge. Time to look into the carbine

i love my 9mm carbine, i'm running 147gr subs with a can, fairly accurate to 75yds, but man its a fun quiet killing machine...

Back