How would this dog do?

frozenbutt

How would a half pit half wiemer work for a decoy dog? Mother is the pit and goes about 40 pounds and the father thats a wiemer is 55 or so pounds. It's 8 weeks old and have been rised (so far) around other dogs and people. Mother is a people lover and clingy and the father well he is a typical wiemer.

I know it's takes training and that comes to my next ?. How you go about training one for decoying? I've trained plenty of waterfowl and upland land dogs. But I'm sure training a decoy dog is much diffarent.

Thanks for any input.

well if you already have the dog, use it
if you really want the dog, get it then use it

Honestly im not a coyote dog expert, I dont even own a coyote dog, Ive had bird dogs/beagles/staffs and mutts

But the way it sounds, and what alot of back and forth has been lately, if you train it well enough to suit you it should work fine.

Doesnt sound like any specific breed is bred for that, look at the guys dogs on this form, most are a mix of this, a little of that until they get what they want, or at least close, some tend to be more breed specific than others.

Heck ive been kicking around the dog idea for a few years now and still cant decide on a breed or type yet, one day im just gonna grab one, and give it a go.
I say go for it, what the heck, you wont know until you try it, kinda like pickled herring.

If anything you could use it as a catch dog on partridge
lol.gif

Good luck!

Last edited:
I love my pits, but don't think the pit attitude is ideal for decoy work. Just depends on the temperament of the dog. Will he ne able to walk away from a fight willingly if a coyote engages? That is a must have for decoy dog.

I say go for it. Merv Griswald had a german shortair in his first dvd. If you dog has some hunt drive, obedience and some brains, he'll probably work out just fine.

As far as training, alot of guys have different ideas of what they "want" in a decoy dog. What do you expect from your dog?? Do you want him to sit next to you or do you want a dog to go out and hunt?

As far as a training aid, check out Duane's video, it's filled with great info.

www.coyotedogs101.com

Last edited:
If ya wanna try the dog, by all means give it a fair chance, my first decoy dog, was a Blue heeler.
Best advice,don't start to young, get a handle on the dog, spent alot of time with it,and put lots of game in front of it. Duane

Don't know about a decoy dog, but I would like to have that cross for a hog dog. I had a buddy who ran a dog like that and it was one heck of a running catch dog. He struck his own pig a few times, but most of the time he came to the bay to seal they deal, or he would shut one down if it would try and run. Unfortunately he was a little to hog crazy for his own good and got gutted one night and that was it. Like I said, dont know nothing about the cross for a decoy dog, but the one I have hunted behind was a heck of a hog dog.

Thanks for the replys. For a decoy dog, I want one to go out 100-300 yards and get the lurkers to come out and play so I can get a shot on em. As for temperment. He don't look for fights with his brothers and sisters but backed into a corner he lays down the law. He has been socialized with diff people and all the nieborhood dogs come over and play with them.

Got some taller grass next to the place and he goes exploreing in it all the time. He was curious about the coyote den behind the house.

The woman has the mother and pups so I have been keeping an eye on him. Just have no experiance with a dog for this type of hunting so I just been watching for just normal bird dog things like use of nose, exploritive, use of eyes, ect. Been keeping him in the house when people come to look at the other pups just so I get more time to make a decistion.

By the way if anybody is around Soiux falls SD, come on over and get one. LOL. She keeps getting flagged on craigs list, so it's been hard for her to get rid of em.

Id say go for it, and mold your training to the dogs personality.

If he keeps engaging coyotes and trying to fight, or running more off than bringing back, then keep him close and use him for a recovery/finish dog. From what I understand a dog just shaking a dead yotes up will bring in stranglers.

Back