sako 85 hunter in 260 rem

ICU22-250

Just traded for this rifle a few weeks back and just got to run a few down the tube yesterday. I wasn't very impressed to say the least. I got about 2" groups or so at 100 yds with 120 grain federal premium ballistic tips. I didn't have any other ammo on hand to try so im hoping maybe just the ammo. I started reading the manual and it said it had a 1-8 twist barrel. Anyone here have one of these or have any suggestions for me? Maybe I should step up weight grains in my bullets im not sure what the typical twist rate is for this caliber. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would not get too discouraged after trying 1 load. Sakos tend to shoot. So do 260s. Nothing wrong with the twist, or bullet weight. As far as factory ammo is concerned, I can't be of much help. Although, I would try some 123gr A-maxes.......

I have a Sako 75 in .260 and it's a hammer. Try a 120NBT with IMR4350. I find the sweet spot for me is right at 2750 fps. This is not a super fast load but it works.

Take the bolt out, spray some copper dissolving bore cleaner in it(I prefer Gunslick Foaming bore cleaner), get a cleaning rod and send a brush through from the back, take it off, send it through again and then take a .260 cleaning jag with a fresh patch each time and shove them through from the back until they are dry and spotless and try shooting again... copper fouling will jack your groups in a bad way. There is no reason a clean Sako with a good barrel should be shooting like that.

Last edited:
I had the same problem years ago with a .243 sako 75. Through the rubber
stock in the basement and replaced it with a carbon fiber Lone Wolf. It's been
a 1/2-3/4 inch gun ever since.

I know it's a Remington not a Sako. But, My .243 hates Federal Premiums. Three inch plus groups at 100 yards. It'll shoot Federal Classic 100 gr., Winchester X-pert 100 gr., and Remington cor-lokt 100 gr. into the same 1 1/4 group at 100 yards.
I'd bet it just doesn't like the Federal Premiums.
It is after all a Sako. So, it should be accurate.

Unfortunately there is not a great selection of factory ammo for the 260 Rem.

A couple of the loads that I have worked up for my gun are:

120 gr. Nosler BT/ 38.5 gr. Benchmark - should be about 2800 fps.

129 gr. Hornady SST/ 42.5 gr. H4350 - should be about 2750 fps.

So far, I have found that the best accuracy comes in about the middle of the load range for each of the powders that I have tried.

Thnx for the info guys. Getting ready to load up a few different rounds and give them a try. Still not sure on the bullet though. Maybe a 130 vld berger or 129 sst or maybe even the noslers. Still mulling it over.

Back