Reloading for a 10 gauge???

Ok guys we have run into a small issue with the 10 gauges. First thing is their really isn't much out their in the form of # 4 buck and the shells that our pattern just OK. I'm looking to get my hands on some really well pattering # 4 buck 10 gauge shells one way or the other. Rather I half to buy all the reloading components and start from scratch or if some of you guys that have been loading shotgun shells could make me up a batch and sell me some. Either way their has got to be something I can do to improve on what's left as far as options for the big 10? I love my Browning BPS it's a pump with a 28 inch barrel and I don't want to switch to a 12 gauge I love my 10. I just need some direction on what's I can do to get my hands on some good coyote killing buckshot for this gun. As far as Turkey loads goes I got that covered #4 Cooper plated lead shot works wonders and patterns really well out to 50 yards. The chokes being used out of this gun will be a Kicks Gobbling Thunder and a Kicks Buck Kicker. Any help would be great and if your willing to load me up some shells to try and see how they pattern out of my gun then send me a pm please. Thanks for your Time Skinner

Yea I love the copper plated lead stuff I'll give them a try 55.00 for 25 ain't that bad for 10 gauge ammo. I'm still open for more info on some reloads of 4 buck though. Theirs a ton of steel stuf out their but I'm staying away from it lead or tungsten only! Thanks for the tip derby. Keep them coming guys!

next year i will be loading for 10 ga. but that does not help you now. check with me next season if you have not bought your own reloader.

If you already reload a different guage, get a roll crimp tool from Ballistic Products. Use your reloader to drop powder/shot and seat the wads, then roll crimp. The roll crimp from BP is about $30, and I have been using one for years.

Thanks for all the help guys. At this time I don't have any kind of reloading stuff for a shotgun just rifles but I'm interested in getting setup for reloading my own 10 gauge shells anybody have any good advice for what all I would need to load up some coyote loads for my gun. Like what kind of press, wads,powder,dies, primers, Ect also any load data that has worked great for you guys let me hear it! I will buy the load books stated in the above post as well once I get set up. Also until I can shell out the funds for this set up. I'm still open to paying someone to load me up a about 2 boxes of 4 buck just for this season! God bless Seth

You won't save much money by reloading shotgun coyote loads but it is fun to reload them. You will have to hand pour the shot into the shells because # 2 lead pellets and bigger will not feed through the reloader like bird shot does.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Lead-Buckshot/products/65/

When you get to the bigger pellets one or two size differences make a huge difference in the weight of each pellet. Lead BB pellets are .180, Lead T pellets are .200. So.20 does not look like much difference but the T pellets weigh 50% more than the BB pellets do. The lead BBB and lead T pellets are hard to beat for penetration and pellet count.

Used Mec reloaders can be bought at auctions for about $35. It will probably be hard to find the ten gauge, but you can buy a 12 and get a conversion kit probably cheaper than buying the whole outfit new.

I second the Ballistic Products recommendation. You can also look at Precision Reloading. They probably have 10 gauge stuff too.

Your best bet is to watch Ebay for a used 10 gauge 600 jr. Also look for estate gun auctions. I went to one that had 10 or 12 presses. They went for as little as $15.

For two boxes a year, it isn't worth the investment unless you get it done cheap.

Thanks for all the help guys. I'm going to try and find me a used mec and start learning the basics so not finding decent 10 gauge ammo isn't a problem any more. You guys our great and like normal have the answers!

loading for the 10ga can give you a lot of lead way with loas that could otherwise be hard to find...lead BB for fox
and Jack rabbit ..or one of my fav's 2.5oz of # 7.5 as a barn saver pigion load!!! great for when the birds are in tight flocks at 60yards!! I have had upwards of 15 birds drop with one shot!

I used to make a duplex load of zinc plated BB and #4 buck
that I kept on hand while goose and duck hunting the fields just for the coyotes and fox that stalk my full body decoys lol

I had the same problem as you until I started reloading for my 10 ga. I use lead F shot (the size between T shot and #4 buck) and a Patternmaster choke tube in my Browning BPS and I get great patterns out to 60 yards (haven't shot further than that). If you're interested in my load shoot me a PM and I'll share it. You'll want to go to ballisticproducts.com and get their "Mighty 10 Gauge" manual.

Back