scope for 22-250

layback04

I can't make up my mind on a scope for my Kimber. I had a tru glo 6 to 24 power and now a sightron 3.5-10 sI. So now I am thinking a 6-20 sightron big sky or a Burris signature scope. I looked at the vortex viper and diamondback and will consider those for an encore barrel. I don't want to go much passed 650 and would consider a leupold or Nikon. Any thoughts on my dilemma?

I have a Diamondback on my AR and love it. The field of view is great for a 40MM scope. I got the 4-12x40 and can't say enough good things about it for the price.

All that you mentioned so far are good scopes for the money. Might want to look at the Milletts. I put a LRS on my 204 varmit rig and I'm very happy with it. Clear glass, tracks good and has illum. mil dot reticle. Paid less than $400 shipped.

Liked it so much that I bought a TRS for my RRA coyote gun.

My hunting buddy and my stepfather were so impressed with the LRS that they both purchased one.

Good luck in your purchase.

Dave

I have a bushnell elite 3200 5-15x on my 22-250. I also have 2 nikon monarch 4-16x mildot scopes on two other guns and love those scopes too.

I have a straight 12X Leupold on my 700. I also have a VariXIII 6.5X20 and a 6X24 Burris Signature. All nice scopes that will fit in your budget.

+1 for vortex... Viper HS
Also good - burris and redfield

Nothing wrong with a leupold or Nikon, but I feel you pay for the name.

Go for a Leupold VX3, if you don't want to spend as much as the 6.5-20 costs then look at the 4.5-14. I would rather have a lesser power quality scope than a cheaper higher power.

I have hunted a lot with a lightweight 22/250 and have a 3-9 Leupold Compact which suffices for 95% of the hunting I do.

That being said, I think the best all-around magnification range for a field varmint rifle (carrying and field positions included) is a 4-14X or so, thus, I vote for a Leupold 4.5-14.

If you wish to go higher, think a 6-18X Leupold.

For close up shots, you often need a wide view 3x or 4x setting and without it, you won't find the animal in time to make a shot.

berger-king:

You missed my point: I am not interested in 6-24X50, or an 8-32x50 scope; as I said, those type of scopes are generally unnecessary, too heavy, and too long for what I do...for my hunting (I walk 3-4 miles sometimes, and almost always 2 miles)

I can't see the need for any 50mm scope....

Did you intend to send your post to the OP rather than me?

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43Go for a Leupold VX3, if you don't want to spend as much as the 6.5-20 costs then look at the 4.5-14. I would rather have a lesser power quality scope than a cheaper higher power.

x2

Originally Posted By: BuckeyeSpecialberger-king:

You missed my point: I am not interested in 6-24X50, or an 8-32x50 scope; as I said, those type of scopes are generally unnecessary, too heavy, and too long for what I do...for my hunting (I walk 3-4 miles sometimes, and almost always 2 miles)

I can't see the need for any 50mm scope....

Did you intend to send your post to the OP rather than me?

no it was for you... i also walk miles when i hunt and thats what i use... but the 6-24x50 monarch weights 19.6 and is 15.5 in long were the vortex viper 6.5-20x44 weights 21 and is 14.5 ins because its a 30mm tube... the sightron weights 17.6 and is 15.04 inches long.. less than 2 oz wont make much difference

berger-king:

The groundhog hunting I do on the farms of NW OH do not require a 20x scope, even at ranges exceeding 200 yards. A 4-14x or 3-9x are more than adequate.

[Wintertime coyote hunting with a higher X scope may be more useful, as distances viewed may be longer without vegetation - that said, I do have a 6.5-20X40 Leupold for that, but it hasn't yet been used hunting as the rifle is still in the works.]

But, for GH hunting, the length of the scopes you mention are likely more an issue than weight, as I mostly shoot a Remington Model 7 and a Zastava Mini-Mauser, both "petite" size bolt action rifles which would look ungainly/handle poorly with as large a scope as you mention, especially in a 30mm tube. The scopes you mention are almost a pound more on those small rifles, and detracts from the manuverability they were designed for. Not sure how that length would accomadate mounting, either.

Often, due to terrain here, a shot is made from a close-up hide (natural blind) on GHs at 30-40 yards, and a 3-4X on a fast shouldering rifle is a preferred magnification in those instances.

Same for called in winter coyotes, especially when hunting at night with lights; lower power allows in more light in low light conditions; much more than 5X is about useless.....

For groundhogs, there is a lot of vegetation around here in the spring and summer, even in the Spring of the season, so that also cuts down the usefulness of large magnification scopes for long shots. And, as few make hay anymore as they don't keep livestock, there are few long range hay fields where an unobstructed long shot is possible.

I don't use bipods on my rifles, or cross sticks, and its pretty tough to hold a crosshair from field positions (usually sitting) that are higher than 12 or 14X.

So, even including winter coyotes, a 3-9, 3-12, 4-12, or 4-14 are about right for maximum versatility. IMHO.

Last edited:
got ya... with that said u may want to look into the nikon coyote with the predator ret.. its set up for a 223 and a 22-250 ive never used them but imo nikons glass is the best for the money...

Sightron Series II Big Sky 6-24x42mm. Best for the monet. Never had a problem with any sightron product. Just sold one on here the other day to buy a series III

berger-king:

I am not looking for a new scope, the original poster is.

The scopes I have work prefectly fine. I can make plenty of long shots - when I need to - with the scopes I now have on my 22/250 and my .223.

And, I am not impressed with the coyote reticle or similar reticle scopes...I knew the holdover for my bullets/loads 20 years ago, without having the extra horizontal stadia that are in the reticle you mention. And, I am not shooting at game over 300 yards 95% of the time no matter what scope I have...

If you haven't shot a 22/250 or a .223, how can you have an opinion based on hunting with them?

Or, do you mean you haven't used a Nikon Coyote Reticle in those calibers...? If so, its the same thing, no experience with those, either.

Last edited:
Back