Montana Pronghorn Hunt

bowhunt32

This trip began three years ago. I contacted a guy I know in eastern Montana who's ground I shot prarie dogs on years ago. When shooting prarie dogs we saw tons of antelope. So after three years of applying my brothers, cousin and a friend all drew out this year.

On October 6th, we headed for Montana and reached our final destination on the 7th. On the way it rained the entire time. Then when we did arive the wind was just ripping accross the prarie. As the others set up camp, I jumped in with the guy we set up the hunt with. After a short trip out on the property and a review of the property lines, I was back in camp to help set up.

105_2223.jpg

Opening morning comes and were leaving camp just after light. Thankfully no rain and the wind was dead still. As we head to a high spot to begin glassing, we come accross several antelope and a number of small bucks. We get to our spot to begin glassing and immediately find two bucks about a thousand yards out. The first buck I look at is a small buck, but I put the spotting scope on him anyway just to look him over. I then move over to the second, expecting it to be the same as the others we had seen to that point. Wrong! This one was twice as tall, had decent diggers and a good curl at the top. I talk it over with my brothers for a few seconds and we quickly decide that with 5 buck tags to fill, that this was definately a buck we wanted. I grabbed my 25/06 and we devised a plan for the stalk. The country a bit broken, with a small creek running between us and the antelope. The creek is also lined with cottonwood trees. We put big cotton wood between us and the antelope and took off. We knew that once in the creek bottom we'd be well below the buck and could then really cut the distance without fear of beeing spotted. We jumped the creek and began up the other side. Once comeing up, we knew we should be getting close. About that time we spot the small buck before he sees us. We get low, began glassing and then spot the bigger buck. Only he's facing us. I prone out and rest the rifle on the back pack. He's walking toward us about 300 yards. Only shot is the neck which I obviously pass. Then the buck gets nervous and takes off. He runs out to where the small buck is and begins to slow, then stops to look back. Perfectly broadside, I'm calling out to my brother to give me a range. He can't. He keeps getting the grass interference. In preparation for this hunt I spent a lot of time shooting at 3-400 yards. I quickly decide that he's 400. I put the 400 yard dot, on my leupold long range duplex on his shoulder and let'r rip. THWAP and the buck crumples. First stalk and one antelope down. We get to him and man was I proud of him. Beutiful cape, the barnes bullet left no visible damage to the cape and I hit him perfectly through the shoulders. Now standing up, I range where I shot from and its 406 yards.

105_2239.jpg

105_2231.jpg

After a ton of photos and field dressing were off to the truck and to get him skinned and caped.

105_2251.jpg

That afternoon, were back out after them, this time for my brother. We glass up a bunch of bucks and after passing on a buck or two that I still question passing, then some missing of a nice buck we finally get set up on a moving buck and my brother shoots his.

105_2286.jpg

105_2272.jpg

As we get back to camp my cousin and family friend are showing up. They both have nice bucks (no field pics). Were one day in and we've got four bucks in camp. That night after a bit of chicken cooked on the wood stove, we finished caping the heads out, and got the capes washed out and in the cooler full of frozen milk jugs.

105_2225.jpg

105_2282.jpg

Day two is largely uneventful. We see a ton of antelope but nothing my brother wants to shoot.

Day three, the weather is turning. The wind is picking up and the forecast is saying that rain is moving in and the wind is really going to blow. At this point my brother decides to get on the next buck and call'r done.

That afternoon, he's able to get in on a group of antelope and fill his tag on the last buck of the trip.

105_2297.jpg

All tags are filled and were off to camp to finish skinning, caping and begin the packing.

The next morning, after a breakfast of antelope tender loin with mushrooms and onion, were on the road for the 800 mile trip back to eastern Oregon.

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: tnshootistGood bucks.Looks and sounds like it could not have worked out better.

I have to say that out of all the hunting trips I've been on, this one was the most fun. First and primarily for me is the time with family. I don't get to hunt with my one brother much since he moved to Montana, and haven't hunted with my cousin since we were kids. Then you add in the amount of animals we were able to get on and that we were able to hunt all day and stay on animals. Then to top if off with everyone being successful on nice bucks. Just really couldn't have been any better. We're all having our bucks mounted, so that will be cool when we all visit one another to see the bucks that we all got.

Back