should you use a coon for training???

Bird hunters are keeping the 'dales at heel, even using them as flushers from time to time; but they can be sent to help if needed. The guys I know for a fact doing this are in Nebraska and another bunch in No. Mo..

The coon hunters are letting the dogs run right in with the hounds. My guess is that they are content to just trot along with the hounds cause it makes 'em feel like they're contributing to the chase .I don't know but it's not uncommon for some guys to put an Airedale in with hounds.

The dead upland bird dogs...from what I understand is that even though both incidents occurred maybe 25 miles from each other, they were both similar in that it a single dog and the guys had lost sight of it for a short time. I believe the Brit was in a ravine and the Setter was in some thick stuff along the Canadian River. In the Britt case, I believe they entered the ravine and the coyote was on the body still "fighting" the obviously dead dog . They sent a load of #6's it's way, but we all know fruitless that'd been . The Setter...they got there right after the fact , and the dog was alive but didn't make it back to the truck. They said it was obviously a canine of some kind judging by the tracks left in the red dirt/mud.The assumption is that it was a coyote.

Neither of these guys have changed how they hunt with one exception...they used to have the typical western Okie quail hunter mindset that a bird dog has to range clear to the horizon to find birds. Now they have alot more control over their existing dogs and that's a good thing.

too bad you dont live near me, I trap 5 coons every weekend raiding my neighbors' trash cans... Rolling cage can do wonders for a coonhound

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyI have done lots of hunting along the Canadian, and i can assure you there are some rough coyotes over there, lol.

Any insight on why that is ? Cause I've had that same experience ....bad news down along that "river" that now looks more like a dirt road.

Here's a vid clip of a pack of hounds involved with a bear that didn't wanna stay in the tree...and a little airedale in with them.

http://www.reloadpress.com/cg/bear/

No, i have never really tried to justify it. There are some sections over there that the coyotes a re real rough, and you can move 15 miles down the road, and its like a whold different world.

This winter, my hound pack was, well, lets just say less than par, and in one area, i had to go with the hounds several times to get a coyote to run. They just wanted to stand and fight. It was spring time, and they were protecting a den. I know it sounds like im contradicting my previouse post, but i never had a dog killed. In that situation there is two options, The dog is going to kill the coyote (in this case i didnt have the dog power for that) or the dog is going to come back to the truck.

I think most of it is DNA. There is lots of coyotes in that area, so they are very teritorial. Lots of compitition makes tough coyotes. It takes a pretty gritty coyote to hold a pack together, so you have real tough and gritty coyotes breeding all the biches. Well, just like dogs, a real gritty coyote will most likely throw real gritty pups, and they just continue to get rougher and rougher through the generations.

Without that strong compitition, the coyotes dont need to be quite as gritty. In wild animals, its amazing how mother nature will cause critters to addapt to the environment, and is reflected in their manorisms.

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyI have done lots of hunting along the Canadian, and i can assure you there are some rough coyotes over there, lol.

Sounds like it would be a fun area to spend some time with a high speed "decoy dog" and an AR.
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKOriginally Posted By: Jesse lackeyI have done lots of hunting along the Canadian, and i can assure you there are some rough coyotes over there, lol.

Sounds like it would be a fun area to spend some time with a high speed "decoy dog" and an AR.
tongue_smilie.gif

Come on down Haus! My door is always oppen! I will even bring a few high powered hounds just incase that lab gets in trouble! hehehe

Where be these coyotes that won't run from a decoy dog?
I got one that needs work and about half my coyotes take off at the sight of her this time of year.
Kelly

Originally Posted By: CAT DADDY COLDWhere be these coyotes that won't run from a decoy dog?
I got one that needs work and about half my coyotes take off at the sight of her this time of year.
Kelly

I'm not saying they won't run from a decoy dog , Kelly .
laugh.gif

But the Setter was killed near the South Canadian near Hinton. Jesse's saying he's had some run-ins with some tough coyotes around the Canadian , as well. Not sure if we're talking the same area, though. And I have had some back when I ran stags make my dogs wonder if they were going to get the job done or not along the Canadian,too.

Kelly, i have no idea about decoy dogs, i am talking about hounds in the spring. But some of the areas i have found to be filled with tough coyotes is around the checotah area, and around lake eufaula.

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackey
Come on down Haus! My door is always oppen! I will even bring a few high powered hounds just incase that lab gets in trouble! hehehe

Thanks Jesse, you make me LOL. I'm sitting around Sheridan Memorial nursing a bout with Diverticulitis (the hurts like He!! version). I'm doing fine and will get out in the morning. The LOL was most appreciated!

Really, I'm fine please don't muck this thread up with the "get well" posts. Thanks. (-:

Aaron - I've hunted a bit around Hinton, was in a contest and didn't have a dog. May have to try that area again. Did kill some big mature coyotes while there.

Jesse - understand in the spring. Never called the Checotah area. TOO many up and downs and I like flat anymore lol.

Yall stay after them
Kelly

Somehow, this topic has strayed off from the original question.

btw, we had some quality 'decoy dog' training the other evening in the rain, LOL
2011-10-19_17-08-51_670.jpg

2011-10-19_17-13-03_341.jpg

whistle.gif

So, to get back on topic, lemme offer this.
A coon fights DEFENSIVELY, requiring the dog to actively pursue & engage to start AND continue the fight. If the dog stops fighting, the coon will not engage. That's just how it is & we've all seen it happen.

Now, on the other hand....

IF a coyote is going to go to the extreme of getting physical with a decoy dog on stand, the tables are now turned as it is the coyote (or coyotes) that are going to attack the dog! Ask any guy who's had their dog chewed on by a coyote(s) and they'll tell you that the coyote(s) mean business! Therefore, the decoy dog will need to learn how to protect itself from an aggressive attack from one (or more) coyotes. IMHO, that is a completely different skill set from learning to 'attack' an animal, coon or otherwise. That's why dogs that normally trail, bay & even kill coyotes sometimes turn tail & run when THEY are the one's being attacked!!!

Which is precisely why I think letting a dog fight a coon makes little sense for training it to decoy a coyote. If anything, being over aggressive might get your dog wrecked, or just spook the heck outta coyotes.

If a dog has ANY prey drive at all, it's not gonna need to fire up on a coon after it's already been on a bunch of stands. Just my less than $.02, but that's my take on the situation. Train how you fight & fight how you train, make any sense?

I want my dog to be able to cover his own azz. I'LL DO THE KILLING, thank you very much!

Remember, we're talking DECOY dogs here, NOT stags, Croghans or other running 'kill' dogs.

D
E
C
O
Y
dogs...

So can anyone offer a good reason why a decoy dog who's already decoyed 15 coyotes would somehow benefit from a coon fight at that stage of it's puppyhood & training?

What about guys who run smaller decoy dogs that couldn't possibly kill a coyote. Obviously, a dog of smaller stature that is too aggressive is gonna eventually wind up wrecked or worse, stretched. Yet, these smaller dogs still 'decoy' coyotes effectively. Amazing, huh???

Thats why I'm puzzled as heck as to why there is all this emphasis here on aggression in a decoy dog???

"why there is all this emphasis here on aggression in a decoy dog???"

I tend to agree. On the coyotes, cats, even the coons and especially the p-pines; I don't think I want Tucker taking ahold. Baying, treeing, decoying and defending are all a part of the program I would like to see, but don't think I need a dog to finish. I shoot to kill.

Is that NY Hooter a top secret training technique? (-:

Craig, that's a lesser spotted ditch tiger with it's ears laid back!
po' boy's bobcat race
laugh.gif
Spooky sucker baled 2x & pup treed it 3x. Wiiiiidddddeee open on track, LOL!

Ten Roger. Upon further review the initial ruling on the forum has been reversed. (-:

Darn it, I thought we had a new deal going here.

So can anyone offer a good reason why a decoy dog who's already decoyed 15 coyotes would somehow benefit from a coon fight at that stage of it's puppyhood & training?

What about guys who run smaller decoy dogs that couldn't possibly kill a coyote. Obviously, a dog of smaller stature that is too aggressive is gonna eventually wind up wrecked or worse, stretched. Yet, these smaller dogs still 'decoy' coyotes effectively. Amazing, huh???

Thats why I'm puzzled as heck as to why there is all this emphasis here on aggression in a decoy dog???

[/quote]

i can't...
lol.gif

Not a good reason, but it would just be for fun for me and Tucker. But, then that's what our program is all about, fun. Coons, cats, coyotes, P-pines are all on the menu here. Shocks have been effectively administered for snakes, livestock & hooved wildlife early on and they are no longer interesting.

Caged coons? Mason put the whoa on that for us some time ago.

See how we are here? (-:

Ramble, Ramble, Ramble.

Boy I'm ready to go home in the morning!

Back