Gun mounted Lights Banned--What can I do?

Bama_Mike

Well I guess Alabama has to have one fault, Can't have a light or anything that projects lights or lasers forward of the gun mounted to it.

I know this isn't the only state that has this law. So what are some ways around it. I hunt by myself so having someone scan and hold the light is out of the question. I have a lightforce walkabout and was thinking about mounting it to my trigger sticks.

Any other ideas out there? If you have this problem and have rigged something up, i would love to see pics.

Thanks,

Mike

I have the XLR250 Kill Light with the three mode red LED (low/med/high) so I would have the best of three worlds at my figure tip.

I have mine mounted on a tri-pod so I can scan and shoot off of the tri-pod. The setup works great and the light is steady and/or doesn't jump around.

The (Sunpak 6000pg) tri-pod folds up to 26", adjustable to 61", crank handle adjustments, trigger locking swivel head (ball joint) , and retractable metal (spikes) feet.

1tripod001.jpg

1tripod002.jpg

1tripod003.jpg

1tripod004.jpg

1tripod005.jpg

I’m in the process of building a lite weight plate form to mount on the left side of the tri-pod for my wireless remote to sit on. This will allow me to scan with the tri-pod with my right hand (using my rifle) and press the buttons with my left hand and never missing a beat (my head up, scanning and watching).

Or

Here is a custom built 400 Lumens Cree White LED, rechargeable 3.7 V 6600 mAH with circuit protection ION battery pack.

High, meduim and Low,it also has the sos (strobe effect)which is great for shinning trees and making a coon look. Burn time on high is 20 hours and 50 hours on low, mounted on a bump cap. It will reach out there, but the red filter greatly reduces it so I think the color LEDs are the way to go and will be my next project.

1headlight002.jpg

1headlight006.jpg

1headlight005.jpg

1headlight003.jpg

1headlight004.jpg

I have a friend that is an electrical Engineer (helped build the light above) that has just built a dimmable LED and he wants me to test it this season. The reports are that it will drown (this one being on high) this one out only turned a ¼ of the way up and I’m fired up about it.

TXCOONDOG,

Thanks for the pics, your set up looks good. I am deffinately going to invest in a tripod, that looks like the way to go. I also coon hunt so I have lights of all kinds. Just kinda hard to keep the head lamp on the eyes while looking down the scope.

What kind of dogs do you have?

Mike

Treeing Walkers and I hunted the Clover Line mainly, but haven't done much hunting with hounds. Matter of fact, I recently sold my hounds since the predator bug really took over. Also I live 15 miles outside Houston and they turned my lease into a subdivision so my closest place to hunt is 55 miles oneway (110 round trip) which the gas bill was killer since I hunted 4-6 nights a week.

However, the electrical engineer friend has a female out of my Ruby female that needs one win from being a GRNT and there are other titled pups from that litter too.

I've coonhunted for over 22 plus years and will always have a place for it in my heart.

My old Kennel Website:

http://www.angelfire.com/ultra/kg_kennels/

Awesome...I just started a Walker Kennel. "Roughnecks Walkers"
I have Flatrock Coma bloodlines

I have a NITECH male and my brood [beeep] is one win away from NITECH. She is pregnant now and due mid November. I run them 3-5 nights a week depends on the temps. This will be my first litter. The parents are jam up dogs. I understand the predator bug. I hit the ground running with it. Bought every gadget/toy out there for it. Not to mention the guns I swore I needed...lol

Coon hunt will forever be with me, I love my dogs they put me at peace ina weird way you know?

You probably already know this, but... If you shoot right handed, you need the light pointed a little to the left of center when you are looking straight ahead.

Shayne

Georgia requires that the light be hand held or attached to a belt system or cap, so gun mounted lights are illegal here too. If I'm by myself (more often than not) I just one-hand my SR90 with my left hand and shoot one handed off a bipod with my right. Takes a little practice, but you get used to it.

Febgraydog.jpg

Kizmo,

I am used to the free handing a light part from coon hunting, its easier for me instead of trying to use my cap light.

Glad to see someone is getting it done down here in the deep south. What caliber is your rifle? I have the Same on in .204, and I love it. Can't brag enough about it's accuracy.

Mike

That one's a .243. After taking a 12 point last year with my R15, I wanted something with a little more bang for my combo yote/deer hunts this year. My wife has one in .22-250 and my son has one in .223. They sure are shooters.

Some folks just can't seem to get the hang of freehanding a light, but I don't like cap lights for shooting with a scope. Different strokes, I guess.

.243 is a good round. I have a remmy model 7 my wife uses for deer. For predator hunting I love the .204. It's the most accurate gun I own and it is so fun to shoot. Plus it doesn't do hardly any damage to the pelt.

Originally Posted By: Bama_MikeAwesome...I just started a Walker Kennel. "Roughnecks Walkers"
I have Flatrock Coma bloodlines

I have a NITECH male and my brood [beeep] is one win away from NITECH. She is pregnant now and due mid November. I run them 3-5 nights a week depends on the temps. This will be my first litter. The parents are jam up dogs. I understand the predator bug. I hit the ground running with it. Bought every gadget/toy out there for it. Not to mention the guns I swore I needed...lol

Coon hunt will forever be with me, I love my dogs they put me at peace ina weird way you know?

Coma and Clover dogs started with Ball's old Hickory Nutt Harry dogs.
I like them to get deep and alone with the meat.

Good luck with your hunting

TXCOONDOG Coma and Clover dogs started with Ball's old Hickory Nutt Harry dogs. I like them to get deep and alone with the meat. Good luck with your hunting[/quote said:
My male just does that, does deep for the meat. Don't matter if it's the 1st cast or the tenth he's balls to the wall.

The Hickory Nut dogs are Legends in the coon hunting world now, as you know i'm sure. I heard some where they have frozen Sperm from the original Hickory Nut Harry selling for like $10,000 or something crazy like that.

Hope there freezers never lost power for that kinda money you know...

Good luck to you to.

How close is your line to Coma- Wipeout Zeb, Wipeout Zeb Again, Triple Threat, Wipe out Speck ?

River Bend Flag will cross best on Coma and Clover.

Also Skuna River Bark, Harry's Dead Ringer (LA),Yadkin River blood, Seven Mile Swamp, and doubling up on Coma will also work.

Took Ruby up to KY a couple years and bred her to Hardwood Homer but she didn't take and that is when Keith realized he was sterile and he passed a few months later (huge loss to the coon hunting world for top reproducer).

I've been all over the U.S. hunting PKC and UKC hunts.

Look up Kenny Gates on UKC and PKC websites and you'll find my posts.

Might look at the NITESTIK:

http://www.accufirep...m/niteStik.html

Geez, I misread the rules down here as being able to mount it on a gun. I even called a field office last year to verify and the nice lady told me it was ok. I'm pretty sure that the law didn't change so when I called today and asked to speak to a warden I got the answer that it must be physically in contact with the hunter, like Kizmo said. Could've been a nasty surprise for me.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but glad it was me instead of the game warden. But look on the bright side (no pun intended), at least they did away with the 6 volt maximum rule.

The way the old law was worded, I think you probably could have had a weapons mounted light if it was 6 volts or less. They changed the wording last season.

Here in NC we can't hunt (other than coon & possum) at nite. But,,, in SC one can hunt hogs & coyotes at night. But, you can't have a light attached to the gun.
I have been considering (thinking about) trying to make a bracket of sorts that will attach to the light and allow me to support (without attaching) the fore end of my gun with the light. Something along the lines of a scope mount with a V or U shaped piece.
Look at txcoondog's 4th picture and imagine cutting the "O" that attaches the light to the tripod in half from top to bottom as you see it in the photo. Then attach a piece of metal or plastic on each side (top & bottom as seen in the pic) to form a V or U. Then one could support the gun's fore end with the light.
I hope my description/explanation is a little clearer than mud.

It is, and that would be legal in Georgia. You'd be basically holding the light in your non-trigger hand, and the light would be holding the forearm of the gun. You might could use something as simple as a piece of cheap, shallow raingutter material with padding inside it.

TX,

My dogs grand father is the original Flatrock Coma. His Mother his daughter to Stylish Lipper.

Then he goes back 3 generations to The Halls Hickory Nutt Harry.

And on his mothers side she goes 2 generations back to the Coma bloodline again, so he is doubled up on it.

I have a Gyp whos is granddaughter to Hardwood Elvis attack on the sires side and back to a coma dog on the dam's side.

Once I finish her out I will breed her to the male pup I keep from the brood b**** who is bred to my coma male.

So in essence their pups will be trippled up on coma blood.

Well thats the tentative plan for right now.

Back