7mm STW...barrel length?

Trapper Luke

Plan on buying a remington 700 SPS in 7mm STW and going to build off that. One of the things I'm wanting to do is get a custom barrel for it. First off guess I should say is evetually after enough pratice I'm would like to be able to shoot out to a grand with it. My question is what length would be the best to go with? What factors come into play when your looking to buy a custom barrel?

Thanks,
Luke

If it was me I'd run a 28 inch barrel with 1-9 twist so you could shoot the 180gr. Bergers I believe the b.c. Is like .659 run them around 3100 fps that will give you around 1800 fps and 1300 ft/lbs at 1000 yards That's an exellent combo if you plain on doing some long range hunting with it.

Last edited:
No less than 26" but longer if you plan on dedicated long range stuff. You really should come up with a bullet and have the chamber cut to a dummy round. Be prepared to spend some bling on the barrel and barreling and also be prepared to wait as the good smiths take time. Look at Coleman rifles, but a great many great smiths out there.

Originally Posted By: Longrangeshooter1If it was me I'd run a 28 inch barrel with 1-9 twist so you could shoot the 180gr. Bergers I believe the b.c. Is like .659 run them around 3100 fps that will give you around 1800 fps and 1300 ft/lbs at 1000 yards That's an exellent combo if you plain on doing some long range hunting with it.

Will a 9 twist handle 180s ?

Originally Posted By: 204farr#5 contore at 28"
and 1-9 twist
stw have the speed use the horse power handle the 180 vld

Do this!

Originally Posted By: Trapper Luke evetually after enough pratice I'm would like to be able to shoot out to a grand with it. My question is what length would be the best to go with? What factors come into play when your looking to buy a custom barrel?

my good buddy has one we shoot LR, and 1K is only the beginning with this rifle, hes running the 168vlds about 3300, in a 26" pipe, if you get a custom, might as well get a nice tight twst, and a bit larger contour than normal, think about fluting it as this is a fairly large round and it runs hot... we run his suppressed and its a pleasure to shoot, we were @ a shoot a couple months ago, i was on the swarovski my buddy what shooting and he hit dynamite on his first shot @ 550yds using the STW... amazing cartridge, great choice and let us know when you get your build done.

A custom 7 Mag with a minimum spec match chamber and 28" barrel will handle the 168's at 3200 with Retumbo. John Burn's load is 71.5g of Retumbo, 168g VLD, 3.815 in Nosler brass, Federal 215? Work up to that load in your rifle because his is a custom gun.

In my rem 26" 700, 71.0g of Retumbo, Fed 215, 162g Hornady SST is 3100fps, Rem brass..ragged hole. 162g Hornady SST is a tough bullet. Most of the time on deer, I shoot the 154g SST at 3150 fps with a load of 63.0g of IMR 4350, Rem 9 1/2, in Rem brass, bullet jammed the lands .003 which shoots fantastic at 550 yards. The B.C. of both of these bullets are fantastic.

I have two custom 7 STW's with minimum spec match chambers 26" barrels. I won't EVEN talk about the velocities that I get in these guns.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeLuke,
Are you building a hunting rifle with the ability to shoot 1k if you wish ?

Some day yes I would like to be able to say I can make a lethal shot at a grand. For big game though I mainly archery hunt. Alot of what this gun is gonna be is just to be able to say that "Yah I can shoot out to a grand" and for them coyotes that like to hang up outside of my 204 range.
wink.gif

You will have to excuse for the thought but..

Since its already a 7STW, why don't you put a good stock under it, bed it and swap out the trigger for Jewell. It will probably shoot surprising well, well enough to teach you a lot about long range shooting. When you burn the throat out of the factory pipe you will already have a good platform built for your custom barrel.

Originally Posted By: FurhunterYou will have to excuse for the thought but..

Since its already a 7STW, why don't you put a good stock under it, bed it and swap out the trigger for Jewell. It will probably shoot surprising well, well enough to teach you a lot about long range shooting. When you burn the throat out of the factory pipe you will already have a good platform built for your custom barrel.

+1 except for the Jewel. Get an old school Remmy trigger tuned. If you must swap to "after market" I like timney for hunting rigs.

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: Longrangeshooter1If it was me I'd run a 28 inch barrel with 1-9 twist so you could shoot the 180gr. Bergers I believe the b.c. Is like .659 run them around 3100 fps that will give you around 1800 fps and 1300 ft/lbs at 1000 yards That's an exellent combo if you plain on doing some long range hunting with it.

Will a 9 twist handle 180s ?

Yep, my Broughton 1:9" does too, but I mostly run the 162Amaxs.
STW has mucho corazon, 28" tube at least!!!

Back