Hunting with .44

tnshootist

I have a question for all you bear hunters.I am think I would like to hunt black bear with a 44 mag.I have hunted hogs like this,just wait beside a trail till something comes through,slow and don't work all the time but sometimes it does.I would be hunting with a 629 6" with hard cast 240 gr bullets.How do you think this would work out?I can shoot,but do you think a 44 under those conditions would be enough?I like excitement,up to a point.Thanks

i know several guys who hunt elk with 629's and kill elk on a very regular basis, and i shot a huge breeder hog on day while bird hunting that got out of a hutterite colony and was running around and the hutts did not want to deal with him anymore because he was too mean and way to bug to breed anymore, they just wanted him shot. they only things we had were a varmint rifle in the truck for coyotes, shotguns for birds, and my constant outdoors companion, 5'classic 629. The pig walked into the a very very narrow little rock canyon that was not real deep, and we walked to the edge and i shot down behind the front shoulder and it was over in seconds. the pig was im guessing 800 pounds. So IMHO i think it would be fine for blackies with a good shot, and avoid the front shoulder
smile.gif

Your 629 will be fine, I shot my first bear in about 1981 with a model 29 8 3/8 barrel. I bought a 629 6" when they came out, added a 3" 629 and finally a 4" 329 to the stable. All have served me well and I always have one of them nearby. Just use a good hardcast (I shoot 300's) and place it well. Good Luck!

Back