Predator Masters using UBB.threads ™ Infopop Corporation.
PM Gear Moon & Weather

Welcome to the Predator Masters Forums
Be sure to visit the main Predator Master website at

PM Gear
PM Gear
PM Gear
The Official Predator Masters Search Engine
Search Predator Masters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2022483 - 10/19/11 11:20 AM 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth
yotehunter57 Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Arkansas
Last month my Brittany and Lab were both bit by a monster cottonmouth in our yard. The snake was over 5' long and bigger around than a baseball.
The Brittany killed the snake, but he and the Lab both paid the price.
Thank God for Benadryl, it's a life saver for snake bit dogs.
The Brittany has been bit by Copperheads and got over it pretty quick with a couple of doses of Benadryl.
This snake was big enough, I didn't know if they would survive the night. They did, but it took almost a week for the Lab to get over the worst of it.

Shayne

Herters U9 223
WT MA21

#2022486 - 10/19/11 11:23 AM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: yotehunter57]
Aaron_Proffitt Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Elgin, OK
Originally Posted By: yotehunter57
Thank God for Benadryl, it's a life saver for snake bit dogs.

Great post !! Benadryl should be in all of our first aid kits and yet it's one of those things that's easy to forget to add.

Good job. smile

#2022505 - 10/19/11 11:53 AM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: Aaron_Proffitt]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Wauneta, NE / Gold Canyon, AZ
Do you give the Benadryl orally? What dosage?

#2022564 - 10/19/11 01:39 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: DoubleCK]
Matt_Low Offline
Predator Master

Loc: C. Texas
Yes, please post some info on the Benadryl. We had a lab get bit by a rattle snake and it was rough. Any remedy in a situation like that is good to know of.

#2022581 - 10/19/11 01:56 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: Matt_Low]
Aaron_Proffitt Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Elgin, OK
Here ya go guys. A great source for using benadryl for dogs.

http://benadrylfordogs.org/

Edited by Aaron_Proffitt (10/19/11 01:59 PM)
Edit Reason: forgot to add link

#2022589 - 10/19/11 02:04 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: Aaron_Proffitt]
Powerfisher Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Washington
My JRT bit into a new canister of albuterol one day when I was out shopping. Came home and found the poor dog convulsing on the kitchen floor. One tab of Benadyryl and some water force fed down his throat and he was on his way to recovery by morning. I just pushed a full tab down his throat like I would with any dog medication and then had him chase it with some water. I know this isnt the same as getting bit by a snake but my point is that it has many great uses for pets.

Edited by Powerfisher (10/19/11 02:05 PM)

#2022617 - 10/19/11 03:06 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: Powerfisher]
Norcalkyle Offline
Seasoned Member

Loc: California
My vet offers a Rattlesnake vaccination that I am considering.
It costs $25.00 and requires a yearly booster. By no means is it 100%, however I have been told that it can really help minimize the tissue and organ damage from a snake injection. Anyone have an opinion about this shot in particular?

#2022669 - 10/19/11 04:44 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: Norcalkyle]
Devin69 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Craig Colorado
I would use Dex for snake bites. It is faster and more effective.

#2022706 - 10/19/11 05:58 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: Devin69]
Boeydafunk Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: Henderson NV
What is Dex?

#2022742 - 10/19/11 06:40 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: Boeydafunk]
fw707 Offline
Retired Moderator

Loc: Roadside watermelon stand
Dexamethasone.

Carl Sagan

#2022788 - 10/19/11 07:50 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: Devin69]
emeraldterriers1 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: kansas
Originally Posted By: Devin69
I would use Dex for snake bites. It is faster and more effective.

+1 some bites are "dry" but dex is what we have used also.

#2022796 - 10/19/11 08:01 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: emeraldterriers1]
fw707 Offline
Retired Moderator

Dex and Benadryl are probably what kept my Feist from croaking after he got nailed on the nose by a big copperhead a couple of years ago.

Carl Sagan

#2022854 - 10/19/11 09:01 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: fw707]
gonzaga Offline
Die Hard Member with a vengeance

Loc: Raton, NM U.S.A.
Ive never heard of that dex, I will check into it. I have both of my dogs on the booster that norcal mentioned. When my cur got nailed last year by that rattler, I think that it really lessened the affects of the venom on my dog. He was fine after a couple of days.

That's is some good info on the benadryl...thanks for sharing.

#2022891 - 10/19/11 09:42 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: gonzaga]
CAT DADDY COLD Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Comanche OK
I've had several coondogs bit in the past. Head would swell up like a basketball. Never lost one, but god did you feel sorry for them.
Kelly

Kelly Jackson - Foxpro Field Staff

#2022899 - 10/19/11 09:53 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: CAT DADDY COLD]
CrazyHorse66 Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Oklahoma
My GSD got hit by a BIG rattler this past summer.
Benadryl had little effect, but after a couple of days the Dex got him back up and around.

#2022991 - 10/19/11 11:32 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: CrazyHorse66]
tnshootist Online
PM senior

Loc: East Tn
As far apart as those marks are that must have been a big snake.Glad your dog made it.Glad all you guys dogs made it.I am so glad we don't have many bad snakes around my house.It's not far,I can see the mountain ridge where I know copperheads and rattelers are but never seen one at the house here,never had a dog bit here.We used to hunt at night with hounds a lot and never did get a dog bit.We were very lucky.

#2023114 - 10/20/11 09:06 AM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: tnshootist]
knockemdown Offline
suburban redneck

Loc: NY
That's for sure! I don't envy you guys at all with having alot of poisionous snakes to deal with. Glad the dogs pulled through!

#2023159 - 10/20/11 10:17 AM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: knockemdown]
Jesse lackey Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Michigan. Go Blue
I get lots of snake bit dogs each year. There are lots of copperhead dens around our house. I have bluffs on three sides of my house, and they love it! I have learned just how tough dogs really are. The only thing i do for them is soak the bite with mineral spirits. Soak it real good, and rub it in, that will work some of the venom out. after a good soaking, wash with dish soap, and let em heal. But im not saying you shouldnt administer meds, i just dont do it personally.

"six potato chips all at once? wow, guess he is gonna make a decoy dog!" hahaha just kiddin guys!

#2023179 - 10/20/11 10:53 AM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: Matt_Low]
RePete Offline
PM senior

Loc: Idaho (Clearwater County)
Originally Posted By: Matt_Low
Yes, please post some info on the Benadryl. We had a lab get bit by a rattle snake and it was rough. Any remedy in a situation like that is good to know of.

Sorry for going off topic here, but Matt.
Any idea how much that cat in your avatar weighed?

Unless you're only 4'6" or so,, ( smile ) that's a monster!

FWIW, my best friend's a Vet. He tells me that the cases he see's of dogs bit by Rattlers up here have about a 50/50 survival rate.
"The closer to the heart, the lower the survival rate." (His words not mine).
He also says that weaker and/or smaller dogs don't do as well, but that probably goes without saying.

#2023183 - 10/20/11 10:58 AM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: Jesse lackey]
yotehunter57 Offline
Die Hard Member III

When anything happened in the past, I gave the Brittany 2 Benadryl capletts in 12 hour intervals. When he was copperhead bit a couple of years ago, I got the Benadryl down him within 15 minutes and the swelling was gone in 12 hours.
This time as soon as I realized they had been bit (their heads were swelling fast) I gave them 2 Benadryl apiece. When I found the snake and saw how big it was, I gave them another pill apiece.
Neither of these dogs are young. The Brittany will be 11 around the first of the year, and the lab will be 10 in a few days.
Before the swelling gets to bad and they will stll eat, I put the pills in pieces of hot dogs. If later, then you have to poke them down.
When I was a kid we had running walkers that got bit fairly often and none ever died. It did how ever take them several days to recover.
At least the Basset didn't get bit.

Shayne

Herters U9 223
WT MA21

#2023204 - 10/20/11 11:28 AM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: yotehunter57]
tnshootist Online
PM senior

Loc: East Tn
By reading your posts it would seem that dogs handel snake bites better than people.Why do you think that is?

#2023208 - 10/20/11 11:38 AM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: yotehunter57]
DoubleCK Offline
Die Hard Member III

Loc: Wauneta, NE / Gold Canyon, AZ
Is it wise to use both Bena and Dexa?

Do you think that dogs who have been bitten previously have any resistance to the effects of future bites?

#2023263 - 10/20/11 01:15 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: DoubleCK]
Jesse lackey Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: DoubleCK

Do you think that dogs who have been bitten previously have any resistance to the effects of future bites?

i do 100% I have dogs who have been bitten several times over the years, and each time, the affects are much less. The last time my pit was bit it was by a baby cotton mouth, about 12 inches long, it got her on the lip, got her so good that it stuck there, she shook, spun, and floped until the snake let go, and flung it, then proceded to kill it. this was about her 4th copperhead bight to the head, and she barely swelled up this time, just the lip swelled up. THe first time it was her whole head, then just the bottom part of her head, until now she barely swells at all.

Its not just her, it seems all my dogs have been bitten more than once, and each time they take it better than the time before.

"six potato chips all at once? wow, guess he is gonna make a decoy dog!" hahaha just kiddin guys!

#2023520 - 10/20/11 07:46 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: DoubleCK]
emeraldterriers1 Offline
Die Hard Member

Loc: kansas

yep, every one is a little less hard on them. our poisonous snake here is a small rattler called a masasauga sp? a 18 inch snake is a big one with most around a foot long. catdaddy posted his coonhounds swelled up so did my old farm dog his eyes and nostrils would swell shut,his tounge would stick out and he would look like he!! for a couple days. my vet said if they make it after the first incounter they should make it from there on. but he might of meant our little rattlers. i have in laws in texas and they can keep them big S.O.B down there! laugh they look like they could poison a horse.

#2023535 - 10/20/11 08:09 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: DoubleCK]
fw707 Offline
Retired Moderator

When Sarge got bit by the copperhead, the Dex was a one-time injection at the vet's office about thirty minutes after the bite. The Benadryl was every 8 hours or so for the next few days.
He got bit on a Saturday evening, and all of the swelling was gone by the following Wednesday evening.
We called the vet just a few minutes after he got bit, and he said we better bring him in because of his small size..he only weighed 26 pounds at the time.
As far as the effect being less on subsequent bites, I hope we never find out!! laugh

Carl Sagan

#2023675 - 10/20/11 10:10 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: fw707]
yotehunter57 Offline
Die Hard Member III

The first time the Brittany was bit, he was swelling bad in 10 minutes. One dose of Benadryl and 12 hours later, you could barely find where he was bit.
But that was a smallish copperhead.
I think some dogs handle it better than others for some reason.

Shayne

Herters U9 223
WT MA21

#2023682 - 10/20/11 10:15 PM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: yotehunter57]
fw707 Offline
Retired Moderator

Shayne

Yep, I think the size of the dog has a lot to do with it.

Carl Sagan

#2023933 - 10/21/11 07:45 AM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: fw707]
Jesse lackey Offline
Die Hard Member II

Originally Posted By: fw707

Shayne

Yep, I think the size of the dog has a lot to do with it.

I don't know about this, my 10 lb jrt took 'em on the nose like a champ. Only problem was one time a fang went through her nasal, and from then on she would whistle when she started to get winded. Kindof handy when she was working a brush pile, you knew right where she was!

Edited by Jesse lackey (10/21/11 07:46 AM)

#2027051 - 10/25/11 11:51 AM Re: 2 dogs bit by huge cottonmouth [Re: Jesse lackey]
17tactical Offline
Die Hard Member II

Loc: Westchester County, NY, USA
canines have an incredible healing ability, that's for sure. Size also helps too, I had my English Coonhound get nailed by a copperhead when he was 13 months old and he was good as new in 48 hrs. he looked like [beeep] the first few hrs... After that bite, he wasn't bothered by wasp stings or anything of that sort.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Predator Masters™, All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.