All around pistol for the woods?

YoteSnuffer

Hey guys, thinking about getting a pistol and just wondering what y'all think. My dad has a 10mm glock and a Kimber super carry in .45 ACP. I really like 1911s and Glocks, for durability and dependability, but Glocks just seem to have too much weight forward and I can never get a truly good grip. I like revolvers also, but because of the low capacity and slow reloading, it would be beneficial to get an automatic. So whaddaya think I should look at and WHY? Probably gonna be a primary carry type gun, for truck, woods, and the range. All input is good, and some pros and cons would be nice. Thanks, YS

Originally Posted By: YoteSnufferbut because of the low capacity and slow reloading, it would be beneficial to get an automatic.

I don't understand your reasoning.

What are you planning on shooting? Seriously..

A whole bunch of Zombies I imagine!
lol.gif

For autos another vote for the XDs. On the revolver side a S&W Model 66 or 629, depending on how big a hole you want to make.

I have a 5" model 60 357, and a finer woods walking handgun has never been made. It weighs nothing, has enough sight radius to be really accurate, and carries 5 160gr cast SWCs flying through the air at about 1300 fps. Here the biggest theoretical threat is a black bear or meth cook. Either one would be dealt with handily with this shooting iron. Shootouts in the woods with bear or coyote are pretty infrequent, reload speed wasn't a major concern of mine.

Originally Posted By: gman2153Originally Posted By: YoteSnufferbut because of the low capacity and slow reloading, it would be beneficial to get an automatic.

I don't understand your reasoning.

What are you planning on shooting? Seriously..

This was my thought as well. But which brand or revolver/semi-auto are really a matter of personal preference.

I have a Kimber stainless .45 for a self defense gun, but what I carry as finisher when hunting is a Mark I. I love that thing.

In reality, if you hit what you are intending, the need for more that two shots would be unusual...If an animal, or human, is attacking you, it will either be scared off or distracted after the first round...and the second round would generally be used to finish the incident...

In an "Aw Crap" situation, any firearm had better be 110% reliable in your hands and for that reason alone, I usually carry a .357 revolver...

My biggest concern would be walking upon a poisonous snake, so my first round is snake shot and the other five are high performance rounds..In an emergency, even the snake shot can be a distraction and it doesn't take that much effort to cycle around to the real thing..

Yep, I'll take a 44 revolver over any auto, any day. I carry a 44 spl with 180 gr XTPs at 1000fps. If any bigger critters were involved, the 44 mag goes with 270 gr Gold Dots at 1300 fps. I don't see much of anything getting up from that load.

I think for you neck of the woods a stainless 4in 357 mag would give you the best all around carry gun. Snake shot, full power 357 for mixed vermin, and 38 special for plinking. If you are worried about quick reloads, get some speed loaders and a belt carrier. Then look up Jerry Mickulek, a LA native I think, on Youtube and see how its done.

For more than 40 years I have carried a .357 revolver for general-purpose use as well as law enforcement. I own pistols in all the usual configurtions and calibers, and like cameras, there is no single, all purpose unit. The .357 caliber has an outstanding one-shot record against two-legged attackers and a variety of bullets are available for heavier animals. It recovers better under recoil than the larger calibers, is lighter to carry and a good shot can hit targets well beyond the effective range of the semi-auto calibers (10mm and the like excepted). Revolvers are usually less trouble and more reliable that most autos.
A 4" or 5" barrel rides well in a holster when driving and doesn't get in the way when sitting in the brush. Longer barrels are not as "handy". If you can hit something with a 6" barrel, you can hit it with a 4". If you can't hit it with a 4" barrel, a 6" isn't likely to help you any.
If six revolver rounds doesn't solve your problem, you need a rifle or shotgun. For the malls and shopping trips, I'd stay with the semi-auto recommendations. For the truck, or hunting without a long arm in the field, the .357, .41, or .44 are very effective if you practice and can handle the power levels. I also agree with the snake shot comment posted by OldTurtle, particularly if you hunt with someone else or run dogs where a solid bullet might be a liability. I used to carry JHP's, but have found that the cast lead, semi-wadcutter bullets do a much better job on larger animals and over longer ranges.

I am as fond of the 1911 platform as the next person ........ but when it comes to the boonies .........

.......... it's a round shooter all the way!

The opperative phrase: Brass Chasing!

And autos are all about losing brass!!!

My Smith Mountain Gun in .44 is my favorite ..........

......... but a Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 is GAINING FAST!!!

Three 44s

Back