.204 for Coyotes

rainmaker

I bought a Savage Model 10 Predator in .204 Ruger recently. I am heading to the range tomorrow to evaluate some factory ammo and sight the scope in. I plan to eventually reload for it. However, I will be using factory ammo for the next few months and would like some input on preferred factory ammo. I have 40 rounds each of Hornady 32 grain V-Max, Hornady 40 grain V-Max, Winchester 32 grain Ballistic Silver Tip, and Remington 40 grain Premier Accu Tip. I would appreciate feeed back on pros and cons from anyone who has used any of these loads for coyotes and bobcats. Thanks.

Normally you will find that your barrel, while it will shoot all of them, will prefer either the heavier, or lighter, weight rounds for accuracy, then it's a matter of effect on game..

My .204s prefer the heavier bullets, but since I reload, the 35gr Bergers are what I use for hunting...and the 39gr SBKs for Varmints.. I've tried the HSM rounds with the 40gr Bergers but they didn't give me the accuracy that the Hornady 40gr V-max did..The 32gr rounds grouped worse than the 40s..

One that you don't have listed is the Winchester 34gr HP..I liked the performance of it, but for some reason I had feeding problems with the round jamming against the chamber entrance..

I've never shot any of the premium rounds you listed...

I use to use the 32 gr. vmax which in my opinion was to small of a bullet. I had quit a few runner that I had to go chase down. Not fun in deep snow. I switched to the 39 gr. sierras and have had good luck with them. (mine are hand loads)

My Specialized Dynamics 24in bull barrel AR-15 likes both the 32 and the 40gr Horandy's. Didn't see much difference int he accuracy, and they both stopped coyotes in their tracks. Good cartridge, and fun to shoot.

I used hornady 45 soft points last year and 39 SBKs the 2 years prior to that. I happily take either to the field. The 39s are slightly more accurate in my rifle (

I shoot 32 grain vmax out of my ar's and have never had a runner with them. I have shot both factory and reloads with about the same results. Neither one of the ar's like the 40 grain vmax.

I've had much better luck with the 40 gr Hornadys over the 32 gr in my CZ 527 Varmint. I had a few runners before I switched to the 40s.

My Savage 16 shoots 32 v-maxes over 26.9g of A2230 in tiny groups at 3,950 fps. I've killed 7 coyotes this fall with this load and haven't had one to move out of their tracks. This bullet kills very well if you put it in the boiler room.

I don't think it would do well on shoulder shots and would probably have some runners and splashes hitting the big shoulder bones.

39 SBK's out of a Remington 700 LVSF do just fine for me. Through the lungs usually no exit. I have shot several bobcats and have little to no hide problems.

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot a coyote yet with my 204 but have shot plenty of fox and ground hogs. My gun likes the Hornady 32gr. and the 40gr. I shoot the 40's due to more energy and better ballistics. With the 32's, shot placement is a little more crucial.

I plan on reloading and trying the Sierra 39gr. Blitz Kings. Heard good thing about those.

Dave

In Savage rifles the .204 hollow points don't feed well. I have the model 12fv and also my buddy's savage predator hunter both in .204 have the hollow point issue. I myself shoot the hornady 32s just fine.

Originally Posted By: lonerezzieIn Savage rifles the .204 hollow points don't feed well. I have the model 12fv and also my buddy's savage predator hunter both in .204 have the hollow point issue. I myself shoot the hornady 32s just fine.

That's interesting about the hollow points. I shoot a LRPV. I will try some when I reload and see if I experience any issues.
Thanks for the heads up.

Dave

I have shot a good number of them with my T.20. The Berger 35 is prolly a good bet for fur saving. The Nosler 40 is a little too hard on them. The Berger 40 isn't bad but could be rough on some shots. The Nosler 32 might be better than the Nosler 40gr. The 39 Blitz king will explode like the V-max, that isn't what you want.
The high shoulder shot is great with the Berger 35gr, it should drop them there, rib shots they run a little bit, but dead on their feet!

Thanks for all the input. I didn't make it to the range today due to rain so I cancelled my day off and went to work. I will try again tomorrow. I did stop and pick up 2 boxes of the Winchester hollow points to add to the range time. I'll check them all and give the most accurate load a try in the field this weekend.

i've shot the hornady 32gr for a few years and i've had a couple of splashes on coyotes quartering towards me. my gun shoots the 40gr just as well so when my supply of 32s runs out i'll start using my 40s and see if they will perform a little better on the shoulder shots. i've recovered the splashes just want to try something else.

I use the factory 32grain hornady's and have for several years now. Last year (or rather this last January) was my first runner. I can honestly say it was a poor shot on my part. Usually have very good results. I do plan to see how the 40grain shoot in my gun. I just do not have time for the reloading. Absolutely love the 204 for coyotes though.

I used to use the .204 with the 32 gr Vmax Hornady ammo and could put five into a .4 diameter hole at 100 yards. I had the same results on coyotes as nightcaller with a lot of splashes and exit wound damage. I couldn't get anything else to shoot with the same accuracy so now I have a 22-250.

I love mine. use the 32gr v-max as well only one runner but found it shortly after ( bad shot on a running yote )even killed one at 500yds with it. thats my avatar pic.

Back