Lion tracks

Shoes

While hunting this weekend I found tracks in the mud that seemed to be too big even for a domestic dog like a Dane, but they clearly had claws visible. Unfortunately there was never enough in a row to see if both back and front claws were printing. Could this be a lion? I know they usually have claws retracted but like I said it was quite muddy. I know a rancher has moved sheep through the area in the last couple weeks and there is a very good resident deer population. So it would seem like a buffet line for a lion. If you think this could be a lion, what is the best way to go about calling it? I'd probably try to enlist the help of a buddy who has a e-caller. Fawn distress? Sheep? Rabbits? The area of the tracks was an ATV trail running through pretty thick pine. I'm thinking setting up along them would be good and offer cover for the cat to come in with. Thanks!

Edit: Also should I return sooner rather than later or wait till the temp drops?

Last edited:
Were they bi-pedal? Claws or not it is the foot pad that tells you if it is a lion track.
3" 12 ga shell

IMG-20111011-000111.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm, not real sure about bipedal. But they were shaped and sized about like in your picture. All four "toes" has a claw print similar to that on the right where it seemed to go straight down into the mud.

Yes, that is a lion track. You can clearly see the W at the back of the track. On rare occasions, you will see claw marks showing up front. Not sure if that is what those are or just a mark in the mud. It is definately not canine. The ridge between the toes and the main pad is also a tell tale sign this is a cat track.

My guess is it is a male as I saw where it was "marking" its territory. I knew it was a lion track and was trying to help out Shoes.

Back