Need someone to do gun restoration please

trevor73402

I think this is the most appropriate place to post this.

I'm looking for someone that does gun restoration. I have two guns that have alot of special sentimental value to me that id like to see about getting restored. They have both been in my family for a long time.

The first one is a V model 1962 Marlin Golden 39A. It is a lever action .22 that was my late uncles first gun. It is not in bad shape, but I'd like to have it restored to as close to "like new" condition. It does not have any rust on it, but the finish is pretty well gone. The wood needs to be refinished as well. It will need to be stripped down, and cleaned internally and externally.

The other one is a Remington model 1894 Hammerless Double barrel shotgun with a Damascus barrel. This gun is very very special to me. It belonged to my great uncle Pete, who is the man that introduced my father to hunting and shooting as a child. Pete was a west Texas cotton farmer. He taught my dad to hunt and fish as a child. This shotgun has killed everything from dove, deer, squirrels, ducks, to coyotes. It's about the only gun he carried year round. Uncle Pete has passed on as well as my father back in 2008. There is no rust on the gun and the stock is in fair shape, but the Purdy style forend is a lil rough.

I'm not a wealthy person so obviously I can't spend tons of money on these two guns. I might even have to do them one at a time spaced out over a time period to be able to afford it. If anyone on here would be interested in taking on this job, or knows anyone who is in this field of work still, please let me know and I'll get in contact with you to discuss it further.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Trevor.

i would suggest at least calling a pro and seeing the cost of restoration, someone like turnbull etc. I can truely understand the not being weathy, trust me, but my concern for you is if you allow someone to do it that is not a pro, you may end up with ruined guns that are useless.

JMHO, YMMV

Good luck in your quest

Fin

IMO i'd shell out the extra money and get it done by a pro, if i had 2 guns that old and if they were mine and meant to me what they meant to you id personally get them done one at a time so id have 2 guns that meant a lot to me that were done right than half assed so i can pass down my family some day.

If it were me I wouldn't touch 'em. If they are basically sound and functional I would leave them as is because every little scar is part of the guns history and adds character. Keep 'em clean and preserved from now on enjoy them for what they are. Restoration may also have a negative effect on their value too. On the other hand thats just my opinion. To each his own. Definitely don't take 'em to an amateur. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I agree with VaHowler. I'd leave am alone. All that wear is character.. I'd keep em the way my uncles left em..

Back