Redfield accu-range

bowhunt32

I tried the search function and can see that many of you have purchased this scope. I just ordered one in 4-12 with the accu range reticle. Most threads that I see via the search function are a year or more old. How do you all like the scope and more important to me, is how well does it hold its zero?

The one I had was great. No problems holding zero. Decent clarity and seemed like a nice scope. I sold mine not too long after buying it because I wanted something nicer. You know how it is. A guy I work with has had one on an AR in .223 for over a year now and really likes it. For the money, I think they are a great scope.

I have a Redfield with the accu-range and one without. I have found a great gun to put my accu-range on......my 10/22. I originally got it for my new 22-250 but it shoots flat enough for me that I can easily remember the bullet drop rates and adjust as needed. This is in the East where open area is limited. My 10/22 does fine in the lake when shooting at turtles where I can have multiple shots at the same distance and adjust my aimpoint with the accu-range accordingly.

My personal thoughts are they are a gimick unless you intend to do a lot of shooting out at long ranges, and have time to rangefind your target. The 55gr Hornady's I shoot have very easy numbers to remember out to 400 yards, but between 400-500 yards the drop becomes between 15.9-33.9 inches. How can you make that shot without rangefinding it first? And even with a rangefinder you only have so many marks on the reticle to choose from. If I would have to have a bdc type reticle I'd spend the money on a scope that's calibrated for the cartridge I'd intend to use.

But to answer your question, mine holds zero well. When I first brought it home from the store it would shift poi as I zoomed. After discussing it with Redfield Tech support it was figured out that when it was mounted it was almost at it's limit in adjustment so that when the store bore sighted it they had to dial in almost full horizontal. I removed the scope and tightened everything back down, resighted and it's much better now. I may have 1/2 inch difference at 100 yards between 3x and 9x but that may be from me seeing the target better also. My non-accurange Redfield tracks and holds zero well too.

I think the Redfields and new redesigned Nikon Prostaff are fantastic values.

I continue to find my Redfield 4-12 with the accu-retical to be a top notch scope. Worked with the Winchester ballistic site with the load that I shoot and have got the ranges down for the ring intersect and the dots. It is now on my card that I use for drop and windage. In the past I owned many Redfield scopes and none ever failed me.

Have had mine (3x9x40/accu-range)for several weeks now, and I'm very pleased with it. Range testing it has let me know that I can use the dot as a 300yd. aiming point with my handloads and be dead on. So far I feel I got an excellent deal for the small amount I paid for it ($159).

I got mine in this week. Got it mounted up and made it to the range today. My first impressions are that the scope is very clear and plenty of eye relief. The finger adjustments are a little spoungy, wish the "click" was a bit more solid, that said it does track well. I was able to sight in in just a couple of shots. I shot in total close to thirty rounds and everything stayed put. Now the test will be to see how well it holds its zero. I hunt mainly off my 4-wheeler, so it will get a good vibration test riding in the atv rack. With mine on a 243, shooting 75g v-max, 200 yard zero the bottom of the circle blows up a milk jug at 300 and the dot does as well at 400. So, it would seem the accu-range reticle works just fine. One day, I'll take a refrigerator box out and play with the aiming points/power adjustment a bit more to see where they come the cosest to being on.

Any of the ballistic reticles will work better with one load relative to another. Depends on whether the BC and muzzle velocity of the load you're using matches the measurements (subtensions) of the stadia points. And then since the reticle is located in the 2nd focal plane all that may be necessary to get a better reticle to trajectory fit is to adjust the power lower.

I'd bet money the subtensions of that reticle are very close to the Long Range Duplex reticle Leupold also makes.

Sorry, this is actually sscoyote posting on XPhunters computer.

Last edited:
Agree on the mushy feeling of the adjustment knobs. Both of mine are like that. Once you get it sighted in it's not so bad, but I do find myself wondering if I actually got the desired amount of adjustment in occasionaly. My new Prostaff leaves no doubt about how many clicks you've put in.

Back