reloading shot shells for coyote

Mr. Outdoors

For those of you that are reloading shot shells for CQ coyote hunting. What are you loading? What kind of range do you expect to achieve with your shot shells?

I hand load #0 buck(cast my own shot). Patterns look lethal
out to 50 yards. Chokes and wad combos are important. I ended
up with Ballistic Products Multi-metal wads, un-slit(added my
own secret slits), and a factory modified choke tube. When I
tried tighter chokes, with typical hunting wads, the patterns
do-nut holed, or clumped. I played with Ballistic Products
Multi-metal wads(no slits, numbers of slits, types of slits),
until I found some interesting results, and then played with
chokes. Unfortunately I haven't gotten any on coyote results,
since my coyote shooting won't start for a few months yet. I
have to save the world from ducks and deer first.
grin.gif

Although if they continue to howl outside my window at night,
I might have to start early.

The loads look good on paper, and I expect it won't take too
many .31 cal holes to tumble Wiley.

Squeeze

I don't reload for coyotes anymore but when I did I also used BPI Multi-Metal Wads. I used BPI's lead Super Buckshot in size BBB and T shot.

The BBB and T shot are the perfect size lead pellets for the small coyotes that I hunt. There are right at 4 T shot lead pellets per 1/8 oz.

Thanks for the info.

Im thinking about picking up a few components some rem sp12 wads, longshot powder. Im want to try 1 7/8 loads. I can get approx. 96 pellets in this load.
I shot some factory 1 5/8 BB lead loads into a piece of test meat. The wound channels per pellet hit were the diameter of my index finger(.430"), at a distance between 40 and 50 yds.

With results like this, what are your opinions/experience on how effective this would be on a coyote?

www.ballisticproducts.com has great loads for buckshot.

Lawrence used to make copper plated BB's, but I have not seen them for years.

Hornady makes #4 buck shot in 5 lb containers.

Ballistic products also sells:

#4 buck
F Buck
BBB
BB

F buck kills very well, but I never tried the BBB shot. I have killed a lot of coyotes with BB's, but penetration at longer ranges is limited.

You really do not have to shoot a heavy pay load for a very effective coyote load.

I hunted with a guy that shot 24 pelets of #4 Buck(1 1/4 oz), SP wad, 38g of Blue dot in a 12 ga, and it was a very effective killing load at 1300 fps out of a Win AA hull.

I was using my own load of 32 pellets of #4 buck(1 5/8 oz) with a BP gas seal and a BP12 wad with two splits half way down at 1300 fps out of an active hull.

By the time you buy a loader, wads, etc, you are better to use the Premium factory loads of Copper plated buffered #4 Buckshot...unless you just like to tinker like me...I can't leave well enough alone.

3" 1/2" 12 2 oz Lead-#4 Buck Fio/Multi metal 3 1/2/-/ turkey ranger wad/ Roll crimp 38 gr steel

3" 12 1 5/8 oz Nickel/lead "F" Fio/Multi metal/-/ turkey ranger wad/ roll crimp 37.5 gr blue dot

50 -70 yards
I have used a modified choke but believe it or not My extra full turkey choke will do a much better job way out.
OR this !!!!
ohmy.gif

100_7950.jpg

Last edited:
Getting ready to do the same thing with an old mec loader I have. Don't know where to start. Can 2 3/4 shells be enough on coyotes? I have a bunch of remington high brass hulls. Don't mean to hijack your thread, just thought it would be good to keep all in the same thread. I am going to order the lee mold and cast my own #4 buck

Most the 3" shells are loaded to Under 1 1/2 oz and you can load 2 3/4" shells to 1 3/8 oz any thing a 3" can do a 2 3/4 can do very nearly as good. Yes a 2 3/4 shell can and does kill coyotes. The # of pellets in the big shot will be a little less but every else is the same...

sigpros, jump on it here. your right it is a good place to keep all the info in one spot.

I already had a couple of MEC presses and I do like to tinker.
I got loaded up this weekend with the components that I spoke of earlier in the thread. 1 7/8oz of bb lead. longshot powder. I have done some shooting of this load. It patterns as expected. Now I just need a live subject to confirm how well it can work. Im also going to get some 3 1/2 loads put together just to try them out as well. Should have that done in a couple of weeks. Im doing all of this because last year when multiples would come in the front coyote would be far out in front of the rest of the pack and would come running past me before I could get a good aim on him so I thought a shot gun would be a good way to get some quicker shots for the ones that get so close before the whole pack gets into range.

Back