Cheap Night Vision Scope

Kaianuanu

Anyone now anything about nightvision scopes? I wanted to ask santa for one this year. It will probably need to be under $400. I will probably have to include the emitter in this budget too. Also, would i have to worry about scope bite with a 270? Because i know most scopes require that your eye be right up in the ocular lens.

I have a gen 1.Good to 50 to 75 yds on a light night.They say the 2 and 3 are much better.Have a friend who hog hunts with a gen 3 and says he really likes it.

gen 3's start at $3,000, a bit too much for me. Also, do you think your gen 1's range is limited by image quality or by light availability? I think the best i will be able to afford is an mk350. Do you think this has enough eye relief to compensate for the recoil of my 270win so i dont get scope bite?

I don't know about scope bite on 270.I have had mine only on 223 and it was of course OK there.Quality is in my opinion like any scope,but the tube being the most important.I have no experience with the good gen 3 as I can't come off that kind of money either.The best thing to do is if you know someone that would let you look through some you could make up your own mind.This is a thing that I think would be viewed differently by different people.All I can tell you is with mine which is supposed to be gen 1+ you can see good enough to make a shot to 75 yds but what always bothered me is you can't see what is beyond what you can see.I am not cool with shooting in the dark unless I have seen what is there in daylight.Also where there might be cattle that has moved into range is a problem.I am afraid I may not have been much help but it's the best I have.I think a gen 1 on a good shotgun might be pretty good for calling after dark.I tried to put mine on my shotgun but so far have not been able to get it mounted far enough back but I'm sure it can be done.

I can shoot 100 yards with my gen 1 using a spotlight with an ir filter on dark nights. Did have mine on a shotgun for a while and didn't get scoped. I will be upgrading to a gen 3 this season hopefully

Have you thought about a kill light and a good scope. Iv got that set up on my AR.I like it better than night vision. With green light Im good to about 200 yds.

Gen 1 is a waste of money. I personally wouldn't buy anything unless it was Gen 2, or higher. Keep saving your money, you'll be happier in the end...

I have a hog control business that I use NV and thermal equipment to take out feral hogs. The signal to noise ratio of the intensifier tube is what you want to look for. A 29.9 is top end and the lower the number the more distortion. A tube in a gen I will only last about 200 hours before it burns out. The gen III's that I have are supposed to have a tube life of 10,000 hours. If you get good equipment it will cost you. The gen III will run around 4,000 and the thermal scope will run about 14,000. They are worth every dime. Jagerpro.com has some quality videos and they also have the top end scopes.

I understand signal to noise but I did not know NV S/N could be looked at.That is good info.That give a person something definitive to look at.Thanks

All intensifier tubes aren't alike. After they build them they test and sort them. The less quality ones go to the people that sell their scopes at a lower price. The better ones are set back for the military and people that are willing to pay for the best. A top notch scope will come with a certificate that gurantees the S/N ratio of the tube.A lesser quality tube will make it look like it is snowing when you look through the scope.

Back