thinking of pulling the trigger…on a dog

Awakeland

i haven't been on in a while and recently got a house with my wife, and it has a built in outdoor kennel attached to the heated garage and we are considering getting a puppy. little info i have 2 kids both under 2 yrs planning on 2 more in a year, and have 5 niece and nephews all under 2 yrs that are always coming over. needless to say the pup would be raised with alot of kids and need to be a family dog first hunting 2nd. they would also be around our 2 lap dogs (wifes) a mini rat terrier and a mini doc. the neighborhood i moved to has a coyote problem…..i saw 3 walking through the yard just when i was looking at the house….(back side is a cornfield front side is a small neighborhood of a few houses) the farmers ok with me hunting them he said they have been taking some of his sheep and goats soooooo i can hunt in my back yard! second im lucky enough to be able to bring my dog to work so he will have to be portable and well behaved…me and my wife have both trained dogs she grew up with her father having his own kennel of hounds to hunt coon….. so my dog will be used to decoy coyotes hunt coons, blood trail deer, and possibly rabbits, and also other pest like skunk,opossum just cause i hate them….. any one have anything on the ground similar to my needs? ill ry to check back soon working alot of hours this comming week so i wont be back on for a bit but any ideas or things i need to consider would be helpful thanks…sorry so long

Last edited:
From the title, I thought you were gonna shoot your dog.

There are alot of good dogs out there that will fill your needs. Do a little bit of research and you will hopefully get the right dog for your family.

I use a MTN Cur, I really like him. Some don't like the cur breeds but others seem to really like them.

Some guys use different breeds all together, herding types and different crosses as well. There are guys using all kinds of different breeds as decoy dogs and they seem to be doing really well for them.

Good luck.

Geeezzz Gonzaga. That must have been some phone conversation.

Just tell him what you think, "Get a Mountain Cur."

tt2.gif

I agree with gonzaga, Mountain Curs are the way to go IMO.

I thought you were going to shoot your dog as well when I read the post title!

Last edited:
This is why I x2 on the mtn. cur.She is great with my grand kids and my wifes dog but when she goes to the woods she turns it on.IMO having a dog that knows when to turn it on and off is important.
IMAG0184.jpg

There are lots of good dogs to choice from, and lots of guys have dogs for sale from time to time. The best advice is to look at lots of dogs, and find something that suits your needs.
Check out the guys on the board, we all breed alittle diff, but all the dogs are good for the right job.

i do like the jagd, especially the look my wife dose too. think of a cross with some jagd and mnt cur, not in a huge hurry the job im on is suckin up alot of my time as soon as this jobs over ill be getting a dog, looked all over duanes site and post, love the look….i think iv said that before….i keep getting on here getting advice and have been waiting to make sure i have A the time and B the space now i have the space….waiting on time then ill be getting a pup got the wife pretty well talked into it….banking on the cute puppy factor too lol thanks for the advice

I've got a jagd/mt cur cross female that I got as a pup from Devin. That experimental breeding worked well...real well, for the one I got and Kelly got.

Tony

Back