Mt Lion kills biker

You seem a little touchy on this one.I hope the person killed was no aquaintance of yours if so Im sorry.
But back to the part where I came to the conclusion he was probally a tree hugger.One,he was on a bicycle.Not forensic evidence but an iron clad case of circumstancial evidence in my opinion of which Im intitled to.Moronic or not.Im an American,I have the right to be a moron just as much as the people that put the Mt lion on the endangered species list and banned forest thinning.From the way you sound,you could be my blood brother. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif By the way,what evidence do you show to disprove my theory he was under the influence of utopianism?
You have no right to impliment your laws of compassion on anyone.If you believe them,you live them.Leave me out of your world of why cant we all just get along,please.
I didnt say he deserved to be attacked.
No one does.Theres a guy on this site wearing a deer head calling for lion.Does he deserve to get attacked?No,he knows what he's getting into.The only diffrence is he prepared for the challenge and up for the task.
The next time a tragedy occurs you can bet I will call you first to see how I should react to it.Im awaiting my prize. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Steve,after seeing your reply to another thread I see your a honest guy with integrity.Maybe a little too much compassion for me but I can deal with it.Bush=Compassion,nevermind.I will try and refrain from laughing at the possible lunicies of the left and its actions.

Barry206,

It’s not so much that I’m touchy, I just can’t believe the posts on this site saying he basically got what he had coming to him. The lack of compassion from some on this site is disturbing.

I own a bicycle, I ride it in the woods, I know for fact it is a popular sport in your state too. What does that have to do with anything?

Yes/if you are an American you are entitled to your opinion, so am I.

I also agree that I live in a state where 60% of the voting population are morons.

As for my evidence of weather the victim was under the influence of “utopianism”, I have none. Where’s yours?

I would like to think you are just has compassionate as I am. Maybe you got caught up in the frenzy of the other moronic posts on this subject, but to answer your question I have no right, but rest assure on this subject I am right. I won’t thump the Bible but look into your sole and tell me I’m wrong.

I’m thinking up a good prize but I have a feeling that some others may earn it.

Happy hunting “blood brother”,

Steve

Isnt it strange how a person changes when they get older.Its midnight on Saturday night and Im typing meaningless crap back and forth to you about nothing.Nothing on TV anyway.
Meanwhile back at the ranch;
The lack of compassion from some on this site is disturbing
I beg to differ;Great people here.All of them,even you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif No one threatened to kill any one.
I own a bicycle, I ride it in the woods, I know for fact it is a popular sport in your state too. What does that have to do with anything?
Its got alot.Those bicycle bums are trying to take over the forest by pushing the ATV's out.Its not just their forest.
As for my evidence of weather the victim was under the influence of “utopianism”, I have none. Where’s yours?
Remember the point about being on a bicycle was good circumstancul evidence from my point of view?
In other words,he's guilty until proven innocent. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I would like to think you are just has compassionate as I am.
Whatever you do,dont bet on on that.
but rest assure on this subject I am right.
I wont sleep a wink all night.
I won’t thump the Bible but look into your sole and tell me I’m wrong.
OK,you asked for it.Your wrong.The lord giveth,and the lord taketh away.Its Darwinism at its pinnicle.
In a nut shell[no pun intended to Californians]we exemplified our frustration in seeing our rights and privilages taken away by certain factions and groups of people all in a chance that one of them got the knife burried because of his own actions.You may have your day one day.I call in lion country all the time and get warnings alot from game wardens.But when that day arrives and everyone eles here is calling me a dumba$$,I expect you to cover my backside with compassion and honor.Thanks,Barry

Barry,

Actually I (personally) was addressing Hoosierdaddy, who said "Any human that has the nerve to disrupt mother nature with a mountain bike deserver exactly what he gets."

But you, Barry, did say "he was probally a tree hugger.One,he was on a bicycle"...
To assume that because one rides a bicycle, they are a tree hugger, is a stretch at best. Although your definition of a tree hugger, and mine, might differ.

You go on to say, "bicycle bums are trying to take over the forest by pushing the ATV's out"...
Not so here, the bicycle clubs and the Off Road Vehicle clubs work together quite a bit, and ATVs (especially wide track 4wd quads) are known to create a significant amount of trail damage.
In sensitive areas, and trails sometimes motorized machines are limited to an 18" wheel/track width (to allow lower impact snowmobiling).
Many more times it is limited to humanfoot power alone (No wheels at all, not even a game cart).

And we are talking a Wilderness Area, not your typical place... in most National and State Wilderness Areas, carrying a firearm is strictly prohibited.
Even a pepper spray may not have helped in either victims case... we don't know the circumstances of the man's attack, but the woman sustained enough injury in the suprise attack not to have been able to defend herself.

I ride a bicycle as my main mode of transportation, I am gonna let the bum part of your statement go unanswered. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif (I'll chalk that up to the zeal of the moment)
Mtn biking, as a sport, is worth every bit as much to the economy as hunting, I would bet (I could buy a really nice gun for what I got wrapped up in my bike).

Many hunters, here in the northwest, use bicycles to access land behind gates. This victim could as easly been me or one of my hunting buddies (if not one of my biking friends). Here in Washington a large portion of all encounters with big cats are when hunters are intently following a game trail, often when they are stooped to check tracks.
I think how closely the cat was hiding nearby shows how difficult it can be to see them in their own environment, even when looking for them.

I got no hard feelings over this, I feel badly for those that were and are traumatised by this... what a great friend to go for a drag into the chapparal with you, never letting go, and doing everything she could to save your life, from a lion! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I wouldn't call her a moron, a bum, or deserving of what she went through.

I'd like to think we are all us floating around on this rock in space together... not us and them.

I'm a little bit mtn biker, and a little bit hunter too... (sing it with me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Krusty
wave1.gif

Well this is turning into quite a little s&^t slinging party isn't it?

In the first place, nobody deserves to die for riding a mountain bike and "disturbing nature". After all, we "disturb" nature everytime we go out and try to fool our quarry by imitating little hurt bunnies. Do we deserve to die?

In the second place, I don't think hunting/not hunting lions has much effect on lion attacks. Hunting lions is allowed here in AZ and we still have a number of attacks. Hell, up in Jerome by Steve Craigs stomping grounds there's a lion that took up residence in the town and was chasing people back in their houses and feeding on town pets under front porches.

Wild animals are just that. They do what they do. People that come in contact with them while out doing what they do run the risk of getting eaten. Period. You can't applaud a person for getting out and enjoying nature and condemn another just because one of them doesn't have a rifle.

Once you leave the womb and come into this world, life is full of chances, second chances and even beyond. This guy was doing what he wanted to do, and paid the ultimate price. I feel bad that he is dead, especially in this manner. Until I know more about the deceased, I will refrain from passing judgment on him. He COULD have deserved this, lord, I KNOW I deserve it. Will it happen to me, unlikely. I stand more of a chance getting mauled by one of those Dr. Spock kitties (Caracal)that Lochi has over in Africa.

I respect everyone elses opinion, just as I hope that they respect mine. I can see both sides of what is being talked about here. The problem is culture. I am from an area that have trails for mountain bikes, and if you get off of those, you are in the Hunters territory now. I am sure that other states are similar. Mountain Biking in Oklahoma is GENERALLY for the PETA, Bunny Hugging group. Not all of them, just most. I realize that not everyone lives in Oklahoma. Different areas produce different people and different attitudes. Remember, even the wildlife habits aren't the same in different states. Please take this into consideration, where one comes from, before throwing more poop at the fan.

As a person who may have to deal with the aftermath of a cougar attack in Oregon the incident in California can be used as either a stepping stone or stumbling block. From the previous post it appears that many are creating stumbling blocks by generalizations of the victims and Californians. We now have the opportunity to rise above the emotional arguments and craft opportunities for multiple use. I am not sure if this area is open to hunting, or what the cougar’s season quotas are for that unit. This may be a point where hound hunters can make a proposal to resume their sport.

Lets us this, as a stepping stone to show how hunting predators is part of the nature’s balance.

There is no units in California for Mt Lions, dang. And No you can not hunt lions anywhere in the state of California. You can NOT even go to another state and kill on all legal like and bring it back to California or any part of it back. That's what we have to deal with in this state. Try to change it? I don't think so, it's already been tried.

How did you like that quote Castellano... "This mountain lion was hunting and I don't know why. I've never seen behavior like that. It was just unreal." What a dork! Come to think of it, as I was driving past the grocery store last night, the people inside seemed to be buying food! I wonder why the would do such a thing in a grocery store? AW

Originally posted by Krustyklimber:
[qb]Barry,

Actually I (personally) was addressing Hoosierdaddy, who said "Any human that has the nerve to disrupt mother nature with a mountain bike deserver exactly what he gets."[/qb]
Come on that was nothing but sarcasm. I've heard nothing but that kind of spew from ELF and PETA activists in my neck of the woods over the past year or so. Surely you didn't take it litterally. Come on, I'm a jerk but not a heartless SOB. Did you see the " /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif "?

Hoosierdaddy,

My apologies, I mistook your winking smilie as a wink of approval. It did seem the jist of your post, and that of many other hunters, on several forums.

I should have, no I acually did know better than to have posted my oposing viewpoint...

I definitely didn't mean to imply you were a "jerk" or you are "heartless" (I am pretty sure you are not), I didn't see much tolerance and compassion is all.

Again I am sorry for the misunderstanding,

Krusty
wave1.gif

Barry 206, I own a mountain bike and when I lived in California I used it to hont turkey and pig. Does this mean that I am a tree hugger? I even leave my guns at home on occasion and take my camera afield just to shoot up a roll of film. Still doesn't make me a tree hugger. I have even come close to being bear food a time or two while fishing on the river without a rifle. If I had I don't think I got what I deserved, do you? AW

Krusty,AK Wolfer;I personally have never seen anyone hunting while on a bicycle.Except me when I was 7 or 8 looking for blackbirds or maybe a squirrel.Come on guys,what do you think the odds are that he's not a treehugger.How many bikers have you ever run into with a NRA tee-shirt on?I will admit that I jumped to my own conclusion and that I may be wrong.But if this person isnt you can bet the next 10 will be.Its sad someone died.NO ONE deserves to die,well maybe sometimes but not in this case.Hopefully he will not die in vain.Bottom line is I would much rather go out being eaten by a lion[an animal of which I have the upmost respect]than I would lying in my own crap in a nursing home waiting for someone to change my depends after spending my last years not hunting[implimented by someone I have no respect for] for fear of impacting the enviroment.

I've been wondering about something since this happened. If you (any of you) were unexpectedly jumped by a lion, what would YOU do?
Now, we heard the eyewitness account. The lion had the victim by the head, trying to drag her into the bush. The witness had the victim by the ankles. The victim did not resist. She screamed a lot for somebody else to do something. But she avoided participating in the saving of her own life. Kinda sounds like the bunny-hugger mentality, don't it?

Is that what happened to the one that got killed? Did he just lay there and "play dead"? We'll never know. I'd like to know if the skin was all torn off his knuckles from punching that cat in the mouth. Probably not. Passive resistance, huh? No knowledge can get you killed just as fast as no common sense.

So what would you stud muffins do if a lion had you by the head? Whip out the Buck knife and give him an emergency tracheotomy? Bury your thumbs in it's eyes to the second knuckle and scoop those plums out? Grab a handfull of huevos and see if you can make him sing? Or would you choose to be environmentally and politically correct, and not harass the animal in accordance with the bunny-hugger code? What?

Barry,

I will agree that a fairly large portion of mtn bikers probably fit into what you call tree-huggers, more what I might call bunny huggers.

It takes a lot of trees to make a "spankin' machine"

308cm11.jpg

The woods in the northwest are full of these things, some stretching for a mile or more through the forest and taking a hundred or more trees to make... if they're hugging a tree, it hurt. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif These guys own chainsaws!

We don't see too many for too long in most cases, but we see a fair amount depending on what public lands we hunt. (We get some of our best critter scouting reports from mtn bikers, and quite a few we speak with hunt deer at least)
At least they are quieter then their motored counterparts.

You should do a search on bicycles on this site, there are actually a bunch of us who ride mtn bikes to hunt.

No hard feelings, for sure,

Krusty
wave1.gif

From my understanding of animal attacks, bears usually attack because they are protecting something or you are just in their space, so playing dead works. Cougars only attack because they are hungry and you are food so playing dead doesn't work. Playing dead will only turn you into cougar scat. I can't imagine having my head in a cougar's mouth and just lying there! Even if he bit at my arms while fitting back it would have to be better than having your head in his mouth. :eek:

NASA,

To ask what you’d do if a cougar had you by the head or was attacking is a pretty loaded question.

We would do our best to fight it off of course but there are a lot of things that could happen during an attack that might make it impossible or at the least difficult to fight off a lion. Even a big bad hunter like your self could be surprised and at worse killed by a lion, we all could.

To criticize the victim that lived is as low as this thread has gotten.

Back