Favorite guns

Justin Holder

I'm new on this fourm, so I thought I'd start a new topic. So, lets get started. What are the gun/scope combinations you have and use for varmint and predator hunting? Also what are the gun/scope combinations you would like to have?
I'll start.
My "Big" gun is a Winchester model 70 in .243. With a 3x9x50 Tasco scope.
My "Long range" coyote gun is a Remington model 700BDL in 22-250. With a 4x12x40 Bushnell scope.
My "Fast action" gun is a M1 .30 cal. carbine. With a 2.5 fixed power Weaver scope.
My "Close in" varmint gun is a Marlin .22 mag. I love this gun! It is stanliss steal with a brown laminated stock. It has a 3x9x40 Bushnell scope. My personal favorite scope.

The one gun I whant is a T/C Continder. To start out with; I'll get a .223 barrel. Then a .17HMR barrel. I whant a 2.5x8 Weaver scope for it.

I shoot coyotes with a CZ527 American in .223 topped with a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9X40. I prefer 50 grain V-maxes on top of Varget powder, and they seem to work. I also carry a Mossberg 500 12ga. stoked with 3" OO or #4 buck for the close in fast moving shots. I have a bunch of other guns, ranging from .22 LRs up to my new African safari rifle - a Winchester M70 in .338 Win. The rest see various action shooting other critters and/or paper.

i have 4 i use the most
1. Rem 22 250 4.5x14x40mm Nikon 50gr BT Nosler
2. Rem 300 wby 4.5x14x40mm Nikon 125 BT nosler
3. Rem SP 10ga with a custom choke and 2 1/4oz BB
4. Marlin 22 MAG Auto model 922 with a 3x9x50
This is what i like to coyote hunt with i use the 22mag fox hunting VM

Model: The Remington Model Seven
Caliber: .223-Coyote or .17 Remington-Fox
Scope: Leopold 3x9 on.17Rem--Leopold 2x7 .223
Bullet: .223-PMC's HPBT Match 52 gr or Black Hills 52 HP. The .17 remington 25 gr

The Model Seven is quick handling and still reaches good. The hollowpoint puts em down right there.

If I want fur friendly I'll use the .17

I have about one of everything from a 17 rem. to a 338 win mag. but the gun I have been picking up the most is a sweet shooting little 22 hornet in a mod.527 CZ. It is as close to perfect as anything I have ever used for calling where shots at cats and fox (with only an ocasional coyote) are under 150 yards. Haven`t had time to work up a reload but with winchester softpoints its even more fur friendly than the 17. If your not saving hides use the hollowpoints and watch the fur fly. If I am hunting open country for coyotes I will take a beautifull little 22-250 winchester featherweight. Deadly farther than I can shoot anymore.

Coyotes, Mid to Long Range: Ruger 77, 270, Luepold VXII 2-7

Up Close and quick: Belgium Browning A5 Mag 20

Bobcat / Fox: Winchester 94/22mag. Most accurate .22 I've ever picked up.

Backup: Ruger GP100 .357 w/ 180 grain Nosler partitions.

Cat Whacker...Nothing! is more fur friendly than a 17., been shooting one since mid 70's.My skinner says my 17Yote is the best SHE has ever seen on pelts. 20gr. or 25gr. at 4000fps+ does it.
Yoter

I have three shooting irons that I have taken critters with:
1) Remington 788 .243 with a Bushnell 3X9X40 using 55 gr. Nosler BT's
2) Bushmaster AR 15 .223 with a Springfield Armory 4X14X40 using 55 gr.Sierra Soft points.
3) Remington 870 "Turkey Special" shooting 2 3/4" #4's.

I plan on reaching a little further in the gun cabinet this fall and trying to get a critter or two with my S&W 686 revolver .357 Mag and my Marlin lever action 1894 .357 Mag.And maybe my ol'smoke pole .50 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I think my go to rifle is my Bushmaster ,but the 870 makes every trip to the field weather I use it or not I've got it with me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I've got a new bushmaster that I have only been able to take hog with. Its topped with a 3x9x50 gold ring. I guess after I get to shoot some more stuff with it, it may become a favorite. Other than that...
2 ruger 10/22's one with a bull barrel-whatever
1 remington 700 in 7 mag-elk and muleys
1 marlin lever 22 lr-tree rats
1 feather weight 7 mauser(7x57) win-white tail
1 berreta 390 12ga-ducks,doves,geese,cranes
etc
1 berreta 302 20ga-ducks,clays, doves
1 berreta a302 12ga ga-have not shot it in years
1 sig p228 9mm-off duty,and 4-wheeler pistol
1 sig p226 .40 s&w- duty weapon
1 remington model 700 muzzle loader in .50 deer

My Predator rifle is a Savage 340 in 222 Rem with a 4X scope mounted on it.I also use a Browning Auto 5 12 Gauge and Rem Model 11 in 12 Gauge and a Browning Double Auto Twelvette in 12 Gauge.I am happy with what I have.

My favorite would have to be my 16 inch v-match bushmaster , tactical charging handle houge grip , jewell trigger leupold 1x4

second would be my rem model 7 18 1/2 inch 223 bell and carlson stock , pillar bedded, jewell trigger , nikon monarch 3x9

third harrington and richards ultra varminter 223 , sako l-461 action 20 inch ( would be my favorite ) but its to pretty to take out . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif nikon monarch 3x9

fourth sig arms 25-06 pillar bedded , worked trigger ,nikon monarch 3.5x10x50

fifth charles daily camoed ported 3 1/2 12 gauge #4 buck . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I have a couple .300 Win. Mags. that I hunt everything bigger than yotes with, and sometimes yotes if I know the range will be long. Both group under one inch both have killed alot of game.
Coyote rifle is a Rem..223 Classic 700, 3X9 leupold on all the above.
Rem. 870 SPS-T camo 12, 3.5 inch. 23 and 28 inch tubes.
And happen to LOVE ruger 10/22s.
and a few handguns, prefer revolvers except fer my 1911s.
Carl

Yoter I respectfully disagree. I too have been shooting one since 1970 or there about. They may work great on coyotes but the hornet is better on fox and cats. That little 20 grain bullet at 4000 fps will blow a small cat or grey fox in half if you hit bone just wrong. Never done that with the hornet yet and we skinned a couple hundred fox taken with it last year. The reason I bought it was a beautifully spotted female cat I sewed on for two days because we hit her backbone. They are very fur friendly most of the time if you can pick your shot placement well. Sometimes at night it gets really wild and they don`t get shot exactly where you would like too. By the way a 222 loaded with 17 grains of 4227 and a 45 grain hornet bullet works almost as well. The Burnham brothers used that for years. I`m sure you could load a 17 down to where it wouldn`t blow them up at close ranges, but I don`t ever seem to have the time to get to the reloading bench anymore. I would rather be hunting with the little time I have.

I love how you guys make feel so young, I was born in 1970. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I use 2 220 swifts and a early 50s model 70 win 270 I intend to try on coyotes this winter. The coyotes have done shut me done and turned me into a shed hunter. Cant wait for fur season.

Brad

Big Gun, Long Range, Not so fast action, close in, M70 Classic Stainless 300 Win Mag. Nikon 4.5X14 Matte, Sun shade, harris bi-pod, Timney Trigger set at 2 pounds, Uncle mike black sling. BOOM!, Welcome to the site.

What a great topic!
1. Savage model 12 heavy barrel .22-250 topped with a 4-16X Bushnell scope.
This gun drops anything that I shoot at. It is absolutely my favorite rifle.

2. Savage model 111 .25-06 topped with a 3-9X Bushnell. The trigger is a bit stiff, but this boy packs quite a punch.

3. Savage model 99E lever action .308 topped with a 4X Bushnell. This is for close cover or for practicing for deer season. Makes quite a mess.

4. For close in work or for backing up a buddy I use my Mossberg 835 3 1/2" magnum with Tru Glo sights. I shoot 3 1/2" #4 turkey loads. It really tears them up.

5. For really long range critters or when I am feeling really cruel, I shoot my Weatherby Mark V in 7mm Remington Magnum topped with a 3-9X Tasco. It puts critters down in a hurry. I just love the trigger and the feel of that gun.
BWB

Cat Wacker Sure seems to me that a 17cal hole going in and nothing going out but the lights will make a smaller hole than a 22cal going in and who knows what going out. Shot placement is always the key to bullet design preformance. If the fast 17's don't work (which they do) that little 17HMR should fine on cats and small fox. Most negative 17 stuff usually comes from guys who never really tried one. Shot tons of jack rabbits with the 17Rem and they are smaller than cats or fox and never had blow ups on them. I'll stick to my 17Yote and you stick to yours and what ever works for you is great as you have put the time into making it work for YOU.But don't sell the 17's or those who use them short, its a great caliber.
Yoter

You guys are young. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

My favorite coyote rifles are my CZ's, 6mm cheapshot, and 222, or my 6x45 AR15.

I don't use my 22-250 or 243 much anymore.

And I think my 17 Rem is jinxed because I have never been able to call a coyote in when I have it with me. But it shoots soooo good.

I have two favorite varmint rifles:

- Remington 788 in .222
Burris Signature 2 x 8 scope
Richards Microfit stock
Hornady 40 grain factory loads

- Remington 788 in .223.
Tasco 3 x 9 world class scope
Hornady 50 grain factory loads

I just can't decide which I like the best. They are both fun to shoot. The .223 is a little more accurate than the .222 but not that much. They both normally shoot sub-MOA with the Hornady factory loads.

For anything with feathers (ducks, geese, turkey, quail, dove), I shoot a Benelli SBE. Man, I love that gun too.

Back