Looking for a decoy dog

Hoier

I have never had a dog of this type so I need to get some info. I have been looking at mountain curs and black mouth curs, are either of these a good choice? If there are better which ones?

What part of CO are you calling home? If youre not too far, maybe we can meet up and you could see for yourself. Mine is by no means a perfect decoy dog but he gets the job done for me.

Hoier, my dog is a MTN cur. You can pm me if you want, you can meet up with devin too, I have heard good things about his dogs.

Hope this info will help ya out.

Last edited:
Im no authority, but I think the Curs and Cur crosses are a good dog for decoy work. Alot of folks use them. Not saying they are the best, but they are a popular breed for this use.

thumbup.gif

Last edited:
btech29

I watched abunch of your videos on youtube, my buddy Cornstalker turned me onto them. What breed is Spot?

Originally Posted By: Hoierbtech29

I watched abunch of your videos on youtube, my buddy Cornstalker turned me onto them. What breed is Spot?

She is a Catahula/Cur cross. She is some of Duane's stock. Trapper2 started her and all I do is put coyotes in front of her. I would recommend Duane and Trapper. They both know their stuff.

Originally Posted By: HoierGonzaga

Is your dog a "house dog" also? I also want a dog who would be a good house dog.

Mine would be a house dog if my wife would let her.

Holer, I am using a Cur that has a shot of trail hound, I guess for purtier ears. Been having a blast with her. She is laying beside my chair in the living room right now. She is great to have around, learns quick and has lots of prey drive. Picking up a lot of incidental daytime coons recently. She treed a couple of bobcats last winter here and she has only really worked a couple of coyotes. The plan is to put some more coyotes in front of her now. And hoping to make a run at any lions that pass thru this winter.

I won't mention more about her breeding as I also hate to see your thread get out of hand. (-:

Tony Tebbe is another guy you might check with. Tony and Duane will actually try to help you, not try to make you feel stupid.

Originally Posted By: HoierI am checking out Duane's website right now so I will probably be contacting him about their next litter.

Great choice! But, how does a guy decide between a Peanut or Liz litter?
tongue_smilie.gif

Originally Posted By: btech29Tony Tebbe is another guy you might check with. Tony and Duane will actually try to help you, not try to make you feel stupid.

Another great choice! I sure like the looks of those blacks.

He started out as a house dog, but the wifes allergies didn't allow it. My kids love that dog. He is mellow, but when it's game on, its on.
If my 5 year old is on the swings, he lays right next to her waiting, if she is on the trampoline he waits there on the bottow for her. She will lay on him, try to ride him, cover him with dirt, he doesn't care. When he was a pup and she was only 3, if we were playing tug0war with a coyote tail, if she walked in the room he would stop and watch her until she walked thru the room and then he was back at the coyote tail. I really like his disposition around the kids. My GSP, is really hyper and doesn't really care who's around. He is ready to hunt all of the time.

I guess what I should have said, is "maybe if we can meet up and you can hunt with Tug, you might like him or maybe he's not what you are looking for, but all dogs are not the same".....there are alot of choices out there for decoying coyotes. He is the only one that I have hunted coyotes with, but I am still really new at this stuff.

There are alot of guys using different dogs, do some homework before you buy one, I would hate for you to be disappointed.

Good luck,

gonzaga

Back