hornady 243 58 grain question??

My friend shoots them out of a Rem 700 and they are accurate enough for him.
Couldn't tell you if they are .5, .7, 1.2, etc.
He is happy with them though.

ETA:
I guess you should really shoot them out of your rifle to see how they do.

Last edited:
I had very poor performance with the Hornady Superformance ammo in my .243 Stevens 200.

It likes 39grn of Benchmark with the 55grn NBT.

I shoot them in my Mod. 70 Coyote rifle with Varget, and they group very well (5/8 in.). My longest kill shot to date was with this bullet at 450 yard crow. It wasn't too messy at that range, but the 90 yard crow blew into several pieces.

My Remington 700 found a niche as a 58g. super speed bullet launcher (3900ish) for a short time, but since has been switched back to 85 grain Gamekings @ 3200fps. When I was shooting the 58 g. bullets I never did get it to group as well as someof my other loads, but it killed whatever I got in the crosshairs. It was still inside MOA but not .5 MOA like I had found with another load. But I think I had a higher percentage of kills to shots fired, then I ever had before.

Originally Posted By: HereticI had very poor performance with the Hornady Superformance ammo in my .243 Stevens 200.
Same out of my 700. 2"+ from the ones that don't keyhole.

I'm shooting 50.0 WW760 in a WBY Accumark Ultra LW .243 Win with 58 grain Hornady V-max.

3850fps in 30 degree weather and HAMMERS
thumbup.gif
coyotes into the ground!

This has been my absolute Fav-O-Rite load for coyote calling for several years.

Seldom exits. Try to not hit bone or it's a bit messy...

I shoot a rather anemic load of 40 gr IMR3031 and it is INCREDIBLY accurate in my 700 VLS, but only 3650 fps. It would regularly do sub 1" at 200 yards. I used it primarily for groundhogs and it worked very well out to about 350 yards as long as the wind wasn't blowing. Any breeze and it would be blown off course rather quickly. Maybe if I upped the velocity it would do a little better at longer ranges, but I haven't tried yet. I still use it for short range target and groundhogs, but anything over 300 I generally use the 87 VMax for it's higher BC.

Back