elk hunting public land

RockinW

I just got invited to go to pagosa springs co to hunt elk. We will be hunting public land in that area. Does anyone have any pointers? This will be my first elk hunt. We will be there October 20-27

Use a cow elk call to mask your noise as you walk. I also use a cow call to call elk to me, such as when I am watching a game trail or meadow. I've had bulls come in to a cow call well into November.

2 ideas to hunting the public land in a general unit. My preferred method is to out hunt everyone else. That means more hiking, more map reading, finding places steep nasty etc. Or finding areas that others over look. These overlooked areas maybe small chunks of public ground, easy access areas that no one is looking at etc.

The other is to get to a funnel area or an area where they are likely to run when someone like me goes in and bust em out. Areas where several trails come together, pinch points etc. Both work, just a matter of your limits. Good luck. As usal always have a cow call you can use. Not so much for actually calling in animals (odds are for every animal u call in you will get 3 hunters), but more for getting animals to stop when you find em. I very rarely bust and elk that will run from its bed past rifle range when I cow call to it. It almost always stops and presents a broad side shot.

I grew up in the area and shot my first five or six elk there. Look up Mill Creek on the maps and also anywhere around Square Top. It is a mountain in the area. Have fun and good luck. The entire area sees alot of pressure so sometimes it is more effective to find a spot to sit where you have a view and let others push the elk to you.

Last edited:
First off, just enjoy the trip, the scenery, and the memories you'll make. Dont go with any intention of killing a elk. Yes, hunt hard and do your best, but dont base the trip as "good or bad" on whether or not you get to kill a elk. Your in for future dissapointment if you do.

I've only hunted one place around Pagosa. Up around Monument Park up above the Piedra river. Seems like we went west out of Pagosa and then turned back up just on the east side of the river. Drove a long way back in there, then at the trail head we went horseback another hour to monument Park and set up camp. It was a good trip, several nice bulls killed.

I'm dying to go during one of the rifle seasons!! My buddy had to cancel on our Sept 14 Archery trip and I've been upset ever since. I want to go so freaking bad, but not up for the drive from Oklahoma alone.

Originally Posted By: PLOTTHOUNDDon't give up. The last days of the season can be as good as the first.

Very true! After all, the Elk are still out there.

Back