It's About To Get Worse On Wall Street

azmastablasta

If in fact this attack does occur, and given the group's reputation, I have to believe it will, things could get ugly. Things like this can cause many unintended consequences. Anyone think this could spark a SHTF scenario?

Link to described video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkwSpW5klMQ&feature=colike

Anonymous Vows NYSE Attack to Support Wall Street Protests
October 05, 2011, 2:21 PM EDT

By Michael Riley and Nina Mehta

(Updates with Homeland Security memo starting in seventh paragraph.)

Oct. 5 (Bloomberg) -- Anonymous, a group of self-styled hacker-activists behind attacks on corporate and government websites, vowed to support the Occupy Wall Street protests by erasing the New York Stock Exchange “from the Internet” on Oct. 10.

The group posted a video message on YouTube declaring war on the world’s largest stock exchange in retaliation for the mass arrests of Wall Street protesters, and posted a link to the video on one of several Anonymous Twitter feeds.

The two-minute message didn’t elaborate on the threat or whether it referred only to an attack on the NYSE website, which would have no effect on trading.

Anonymous has launched several so-called directed denial of service attacks on websites over several months, including actions in December against the sites of MasterCard Inc. and Visa Inc. Members of the group use specialized software to launch the attacks, which can slow or crash the site for a short period of time, according to court documents.

Richard Adamonis, a spokesman for NYSE Euronext, which operates the exchange, said the company doesn’t comment on rumors or security matters.

NYSE.com includes corporate information, press releases, trading notices, the company’s rules and bylaws, and access to services for companies whose stock is listed on the New York Stock Exchange. The trading systems are run separately through a secure data center in Mahwah, New Jersey.

Homeland Security Memo

Last month, the Department of Homeland Security circulated a memo warning of cyber attacks by Anonymous, as well as the group’s involvement in the Occupy Wall Street protests.

Anonymous had deployed new tools to help members attack websites, the memo said, listing two pieces of software called #RefRef and Apache Killer.

The memo also said that the group was trying to recruit employees of Wall Street companies and warned of possible blackmail attempts against other insiders to gain their cooperation.

“Anonymous has recently used Twitter to attempt to solicit ideologically dissatisfied, sympathetic employees from within institutions in the financial sector,” DHS said in the memo said. “To date these attempts appear unsuccessful,” the department said.

Disputed Threat

The threat been disputed by some members of Anonymous, who said on Twitter that it hadn’t been sanctioned. A similar dispute occurred over an announcement in July that Anonymous would attack Facebook on Nov. 5, 2011.

A posting on Anonnews.org said it was almost impossible to verify the operation because of the nature of Anonymous as an organization “free of hierarchical structure.”

The potential attack on NYSE “may or may not be a false flag operation initiated by authorities in order to discredit Anonymous and Occupy Wall Street,” the post said.

Stocks listed on the New York Stock Exchange trade on almost all U.S. exchanges and other systems where investors can buy and sell securities, including electronic communications networks, broker-dealers and dark pools, or private venues that match orders without displaying prices in advance.

--With assistance from Laura Marcinek in New York. Editors: Fred Strasser, Stephen Farr

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2011-10...t-protests.html

My personal opinion, Blasta, is that while I believe the hackers can screw things up a bit, I don't think they have the ability to bring down the whole financial system - at least for any extended period of time. I imagine there are an untold number of failsafes and redundancies within the heart of Wall Street. Besides, how do you target all Wall Street-related websites only. I mean if you're that good of a hacking organization, just crash the whole web. See what I'm getting at?

I'm more worried about the financial state of the European Union and an almost definite Greek default which could bring down the whole European house of cards including bank runs overseas and drag us along with it.

Couple that with a potential Chinese trade war that Reid and the Senate want to start and we have a perfect storm that could get us into SHTF mode real quick.

The world financial system? It worries me. A bunch of basement dwelling hackers? Not so much.

Originally Posted By: Crimson RaptorMy personal opinion, Blasta, is that while I believe the hackers can screw things up a bit, I don't think they have the ability to bring down the whole financial system - at least for any extended period of time. I imagine there are an untold number of failsafes and redundancies within the heart of Wall Street. Besides, how do you target all Wall Street-related websites only. I mean if you're that good of a hacking organization, just crash the whole web. See what I'm getting at?

I'm more worried about the financial state of the European Union and an almost definite Greek default which could bring down the whole European house of cards including bank runs overseas and drag us along with it.

Couple that with a potential Chinese trade war that Reid and the Senate want to start and we have a perfect storm that could get us into SHTF mode real quick.

The world financial system? It worries me. A bunch of basement dwelling hackers? Not so much.

I would not be surprised if the hackers work directly for the Obama administration. Certainly I find it odd that many of the protesters are calling for Obama to be reelected. Obama, the same president who bailed out half of wall street and sent nearly a trillion dollars off to the banks.

Last edited:
From your mouth to God's ears, Swampie.
smile.gif

I don't know if you remember the comments about the emergence of the Tea Party by certain members of Congress describing it as a manufactured or "astroturf" group. The Tea Party truly arose as a grassroots before organizations grew up inside it.

Now we see the current protests which are described as populist and grass roots, yet I see the same messaging here as I've seen with the protests against the G7, the WTO, etc.

A lot of college students, academics, and union organizations are "protesting". I see signs saying that people don't think they need to pay back their student loans. A lot of entitlement mentality out there and I'm smelling a LOT of astroturf right now and I don't think you're going to hear President Obama saying boo to the people in the streets.

Don't these hired professional agitators know that Wall Street made it's biggest political contribution ever to .......none other than obama. They are just a bunch of unemployed communist idiots that are basically against anything identifiable as Capitalism.

Where there's a will, there's a way. I don't trust anything anymore. Too many wolves in with the sheep. I think pretty much anything is possible if you put your mind to it. Think about something long enough, think about it from every angle possible, try to beat yourself, find the holes. Too much crime is on the books that won't ever be solved because the criminal plugged the holes, and kept their mouth shut. How many crimes will never even be known for the same reason? Some folks just have a natural talent for it, like an artist. Amazing, unless you also have the talent.

Cain may very well get in the White House because people don't want another Democrat. Same way O-bomb-o the dud got there. Add that to the people who will vote for him just because he IS black, same thing. Puppets with broken strings.-----Ben Jimmy

Sorry but these guys come across as someone who's been watching too many sub "b" movies. Where's Bond when you need him?

However, as I was watching, I thought about the TV coverage this nonsense is getting (I must have watched 30 seconds of it - my annual quota). It wouldn't surprise me one bit if those running the O show are also running this overt op - the occupy wall street that is. But why?

Well, let's see... it's pretty obvious O is on his way out.
The coffers are drained and the wealth of the land has seen mass redistribution. To the people? Please. Try the Fed. Now would be as good a time as any to make a play for a SHTF scenario and slap down martial law.

So, at first, I thought... Naaaah! But then again... well, maybe.

However, I do not see all this as an orchestrated event. It smells more like a comedy of errors and we are the buffoons buying the tickets.

I think Ben Jimmy as a point - it no longer matters who sits in the oval office as long as the strings remain in tact.

As far as the SHTF - it's only a matter of time.

Andy

Now if this was NRA protesting the government, Zero and his crowd would have called out the Military, National Guard and riot police. The media would have damned the events and put down anyone connected.

At least that guy in the video could boil his hair to make soup. No complaints on being hungry. Could be a Charles Manson look alike too.

Back