Awesome weekend of calling!

boandme

This weekend my brother in law and I pulled my camper out to spend the weekend doing some coyote hunting. The weather was going to be great and everything looked to be ideal. Saturday morning things started out a little rusty with me forgetting the mojo in the truck. Oh well, we weren't going to walk 3/4 of a mile back to get it so we sat down on the first stand of the trip.

b42e23a0.jpg

The first stand we drew a blank which puzzled us because we had heard the coyotes in this draw from the camper that morning. We picked up and headed for the second stand. As we get up to where we are going to call from it hits me that I left the Fury sitting in the buffalo berries! Good thing I had my lanyard around my neck! So being down the mojo and Fury we settle in and I start in on the hand calls with some pup in distress. Within two minutes of me calling here comes a hard charger over the ridge! This was a big pale coyote coming hard. All of a sudden he stops at 230 yards and just sits there. He started acting like he was going to leave so I tell my brother in law to let him have it. Bang, miss! He is on a horrible streak of missing coyotes. I think he is 0 for 6 on coyotes within 200yards.

0d0ff50d.jpg

Onto the third stand of the morning. We called in a coyote which tried to get down wind and went down into another draw and started barking and carrying on and never would come out.

Back to the camper for lunch. We set out after lunch and made multiple stands and we were calling up coyotes almost on everyone but we just couldn't get it done. They would either hang up at distances out of my range or get down wind of us.

So finally on the last stand of the day I start out with some TT little pup and within three minutes here comes this pretty female charging in hard to the mojo. She decided she needed to stop at 102yards to lighten her load and I let the 55gr. SP fly and she dropped in her tracks!

85d363fb.jpg

Sunday was a great day of calling as well. We called in multiple coyotes and my brother in law missed two more under 200yards.

3c71fb90.jpg

I need to work on my running shots so I can dump these as they are on their way out. We saw about everything that you can learn from on this trip. We called in at least a dozen coyotes and had them from 30 yards to 600 and down wind to holding up. It was a fun weekend and the coyotes were responding to pup in distress very well.

d6113553.jpg

We finished off the trip by spending some time on a prairie dog town where my brother in law redeemed his shooting!

5401b962.jpg

48d1421f.jpg

We had a great time and learned a ton.

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is some beautiful calling country.

Quote: we weren't going to walk 3/4 of a mile back to get it

You walk a lot farther to get to a stand that do. Of course around here if you walk 3/4 of a mile you are probably going onto someone else's property.

I try to not walk more than 1/4 at the most. That leaves more time to call more spots.

I'm guessing that you get less than one stand per hour walking that far.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerThat is some beautiful calling country.

Quote: we weren't going to walk 3/4 of a mile back to get it

You walk a lot farther to get to a stand that do. Of course around here if you walk 3/4 of a mile you are probably going onto someone else's property.

I try to not walk more than 1/4 at the most. That leaves more time to call more spots.

I'm guessing that you get less than one stand per hour walking that far.

To get to the first stand we had to walk a little further. The walk between stands is usually about 20min or so for us. We actually hunted Saturday, Sunday, and Monday morning and I would say we probably put down around 15 miles of boot leather.
thumbup.gif

Last edited:
Good looking calling country, and not to mention having access to both yotes and prairie dogs....good combo, thanks for sharing the pictures.

Back