bipod height question

1up5down

Looking to get a bipod to do some ghog shooting from the prone position. My question is what size would be best. 6"-9" or 9"-13" height??

Any input would be appreciated.

Dave

Really depends on your bodysize. Do you have shooting bags, spare lumber or blocks? Set them up and lay behind the rifle if it feels comfortable, measure and that's the size you should get. My thought is the 9-13 would be more suitable for hunting where the 6-9 is really more for bench shooting.

I believe you need the 9 to 13 model which is what I use when I go stomping off to get away from my buddy, LOL.

I use the long bugger for sitting. the really short on is no good in the grass.

You will get a sore neck if you persist in this nonsense but it sure is fun.

HM

I use and prefer this one which is the Harris 9-13" with swivel and adjustable notched legs. But I hunt on farms that have actively growing grass/corn/alfalfa so I sometimes need a taller bipod. For that reason I also have one that adjusts from somewhere like 12 to 25". This taller one can work out good, but I usually find it too tall and I have to arch my back and that starts to impact my shot. The taller bipods are less stable as they allow more vibration/shake to occur. My short one works out well at the range too for bench shooting.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys. I have one that extends to 29" which is good for sitting and putting my elbows in my knees. I feel comfortable making shots with this setup out to 350-375 yards. Past that I feel the prone position would give me the best, most accurate rest.

Thanks again.

Dave

Dave, you could make a quick pair of shooting sticks and measure the height you like. That's what I did before ordering my Stoney Point bipod for sitting.

No pics but all I used was 2 pieces of cane pole rubber banded together and then turned into an X. You could use something shorter like a couple of arrows or wooden dowels. You could even stack some books and measure the height thats comfortable.

I like the Harris 9"-13" swivel leg notched with pod loc. I'm 6'0 225lbs, my chest and gut keeps my head off the ground a little bit
tongue_smilie.gif
. The smaller 6"-9" bipods are too short for me to get the gun level to the ground. If your a smaller framed person, it may be more comfortable. Also choose a bipod that is in the middle of your range of adjustments. For me that is about a 11" bipod, so 9"-13" is perfect for most field conditions. Remember, in the field, you'll have to shoot uphill and downhill, so make sure you can do both with your bipod. When higher is needed, I use my Stony Point shooting sticks.

Thanks for the advice Corey. Wish I had both bipods to try but unfortunately I don't. Oh well I'll put on my Harris 13" and see if i can figure it out.

Thanks guys.

Dave

Stack some books or something under the forearm until it feels good prone then measure the height. That'll let you know for flat ground. See if it's in the mid range of 6-9 or 9-13 with your measurement
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOREYStack some books or something under the forearm until it feels good prone then measure the height. That'll let you know for flat ground. See if it's in the mid range of 6-9 or 9-13 with your measurement
wink.gif

Good idea!!
thumbup1.gif

Dave

Hey Corey, I believe I found the model you use (model HBLMS) on the Harris website. Can you please explain what the podloc is??
I did not see it on their site.

Thanks, Dave

One more question and then I will go away.

Is there any advantages /disadvantages to using the smooth friction lock legs or the notched legs??

dave

Kinda late but I'll chime inanyway. I used to have two of the tall harris bi-pods 13-27 I believe and they were too tall for prone and too short for kneeling n sitting. And they were wobbly when fully extended. I use shooting stix. But I'm thinkin of getting a shorty 6-9 for prone shots

Originally Posted By: BrownieKinda late but I'll chime inanyway. I used to have two of the tall harris bi-pods 13-27 I believe and they were too tall for prone and too short for kneeling n sitting. And they were wobbly when fully extended. I use shooting stix. But I'm thinkin of getting a shorty 6-9 for prone shots

I just sold a harris bipod that extended to 24". I now use a shooters ridge for sitting shots that extends to 29". When I lock my elbows into my knees, it makes for a pretty sturdy rest.

I'm thinking the 9"-13" will work best, just have to try what arcorey said to make sure.

Dave

Back