Singles, Doubles, and triples!... Nine Dog Day..

getemclose

Ok, Try to bear with me because this was a good one.. and when I get excited sometimes I dont make sense and lose track of my story!.. Coyotes, they do that to me!..

Sunday was going to be just a KILLER calling day.. mid thirties all morning with highs around fifty for the entire day.. Oh and 5-10 MPH winds.. I was getting the butterflys just thinking about it!

I headed over to martys and just spent the night saturday night so we could get an early start as we were driving a ways to an area.. We had a spot in my mind but on a last minute whim we decided to try an old gravel put overlooking a large meadow.. We snuck into position as I laid prone on large dirt mound and marty sat below me watching the "underneath".. Marty was on the foxpro this stand and even before he turned the call on I glassed a coyote mousing around 1/2 mile off.. Marty hit the call and the dog just sat there.. not interested.. Soon however he looked to his left and I figured a second coyote was out there.
I scanned to my left and suddenly spotted a hard charger coming across the frost covered stuble field. it was GORGEOUS! He checked up at the fence and then started hopping up onto two legs looking into the tall grass to his left. this told me another coyote was in between me and him and I couldnt see him!.. Anyways the dog stopped at 150 and perked his ears.. BANG WHOP. I stoned him.. Sudenly the second dog I suspected took of on a dead run out of dodge! weaving through the grass I took a 290 yard running shot and just rolled him.. I was pumped! Marty was happy with me!.. A double to start the day.. Both BIG males with prime hides!

4-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

Ok pack up the gear and head to a CHERRY pasture that the wind is good for.. We set up, slap the call up in a tree and let er rip!.. Marty was really working the hand calls and foxpro and sure enough I spot a "flash" coming across the overgrazed pasture.. What a sight. The dog is pissed as marty just did a killer serious of hurt pup.. He head my way and turns into me on a dead run! at 15 yards I woof him. He gives the oh crap look!, but its to late. I squeezed and hair flew.. I jack another round in the chamber and spot a dog taking off up the drainage. This is were calling with the samer person for thousands of stands pays off so much.. Marty breaks out his range finder and calls out 325 yards at the top of the ridge!.. Then he hit a quick ki-yi.. the silver beauty gave me one last look and I stone him! Two doubles on back to back stands... Unreal. The frost had burned off by now but calling was still looking up!

6-2.jpg

We pile into the chevy and ponder why we didnt save these spots for an upcoming calling tournament this saturday. Oh well were having a blast, Thats what its all about anyways right?

Back to back blanks stand have us scrambling to find some more dogs! We decide to hit a small pasture that we located a family group in the night before.. I tell marty I think we should just use the KI-YI as the adults will be very aggressive so close to their home turf. It worked just like I hoped and we had a large male coming bombing down the fenceline on a dead run. WOOF. WOOF. HEYY. HEYY YOU! finally he stops and becomes a quick fifth victim.. the fence behind me is were he came from!

2-2.jpg

Next we split up and head opposite sides of the road to call some large rolling hills.. Long story short I was ribbing marty on why I got a coyote and he didnt!. We have a lot of fun!

3-2.jpg

Ok now for a grand finale. We make another blank stand....

NO! thats no the grand finale
lol.gif
. we have time for one more set and decide on another small pasture.. in years passed an old rancher buddy had drug dead cows into it, ever since coyotes have called it home.. We set up on a fenceline overlooking our potential coyote "battle zone"
lol.gif
. It wasnt a minute after some coyote vocals and we have the whole pack coming hard! four coyotes on a dead run.. this is what dreams are made of right here! It doesnt happen very often in the early season, that is calling in 3+ coyotes on one stand.. We have done this before and know the routine. The dogs start to circle and I give the WOOF!.. My dog checks up... BANG WHAP. . . BANG WHAP. two shot ring and two dogs hit the dirt.. Now its a mad dash! The other two coyotes are off like a bottle rocket.. we single out one of them trying to break a ridge at about 250 yrds. Marty really shines in these situations.. He stones him with a running head shot.. We were just ecstatic.. whata triple!

1-2.jpg

A nine dog day, I hope it works like this on saturday
lol.gif

HOMBanner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Man you guys are amazing. I am anew member here and new to calling coyotes. I have read your last couple threads. I got the hooks set into me this weekend where I called in 3 coyotes on 2 stands. If only I could shoot. I haven't killed my first one yet but have had 3 opportunities in a couple weeks. If I could calm myself down I might have something. I've hunted for about 20 years and never been rattled like I get when one comes to the call. Thanks for sharing your success and good luck in the up-coming contest.

Impressive shooting and calling. Looks like the M2D camo is working out just fine. Glad to see I'm not the only running around looking like a hay stack. That camo really does blend in though.

Nice job as usual Mitch and Marty! I think you live in coyote heaven. You guys never cease to amaze me with your numbers. Great write up!

Originally Posted By: getemcloseOk, Try to bear with me because this was a good one.. and when I get excited sometimes I dont make sense and lose track of my story!.. Coyotes, they do that to me!..

Sunday was going to be just a KILLER calling day.. mid thirties all morning with highs around fifty for the entire day.. Oh and 5-10 MPH winds.. I was getting the butterflys just thinking about it!

I headed over to martys and just spent the night saturday night so we could get an early start as we were driving a ways to an area.. We had a spot in my mind but on a last minute whim we decided to try an old gravel put overlooking a large meadow.. We snuck into position as I laid prone on large dirt mound and marty sat below me watching the "underneath".. Marty was on the foxpro this stand and even before he turned the call on I glassed a coyote mousing around 1/2 mile off.. Marty hit the call and the dog just sat there.. not interested.. Soon however he looked to his left and I figured a second coyote was out there.
I scanned to my left and suddenly spotted a hard charger coming across the frost covered stuble field. it was GORGEOUS! He checked up at the fence and then started hopping up onto two legs looking into the tall grass to his left. this told me another coyote was in between me and him and I couldnt see him!.. Anyways the dog stopped at 150 and perked his ears.. BANG WHOP. I stoned him.. Sudenly the second dog I suspected took of on a dead run out of dodge! weaving through the grass I took a 290 yard running shot and just rolled him.. I was pumped! Marty was happy with me!.. A double to start the day.. Both BIG males with prime hides!

4-2.jpg

5-2.jpg

Ok pack up the gear and head to a CHERRY pasture that the wind is good for.. We set up, slap the call up in a tree and let er rip!.. Marty was really working the hand calls and foxpro and sure enough I spot a "flash" coming across the overgrazed pasture.. What a sight. The dog is pissed as marty just did a killer serious of hurt pup.. He head my way and turns into me on a dead run! at 15 yards I woof him. He gives the oh crap look!, but its to late. I squeezed and hair flew.. I jack another round in the chamber and spot a dog taking off up the drainage. This is were calling with the samer person for thousands of stands pays off so much.. Marty breaks out his range finder and calls out 325 yards at the top of the ridge!.. Then he hit a quick ki-yi.. the silver beauty gave me one last look and I stone him! Two doubles on back to back stands... Unreal. The frost had burned off by now but calling was still looking up!

6-2.jpg

We pile into the chevy and ponder why we didnt save these spots for an upcoming calling tournament this saturday. Oh well were having a blast, Thats what its all about anyways right?

Back to back blanks stand have us scrambling to find some more dogs! We decide to hit a small pasture that we located a family group in the night before.. I tell marty I think we should just use the KI-YI as the adults will be very aggressive so close to their home turf. It worked just like I hoped and we had a large male coming bombing down the fenceline on a dead run. WOOF. WOOF. HEYY. HEYY YOU! finally he stops and becomes a quick fifth victim.. the fence behind me is were he came from!

2-2.jpg

Next we split up and head opposite sides of the road to call some large rolling hills.. Long story short I was ribbing marty on why I got a coyote and he didnt!. We have a lot of fun!

3-2.jpg

Ok now for a grand finale. We make another blank stand....

NO! thats no the grand finale
lol.gif
. we have time for one more set and decide on another small pasture.. in years passed an old rancher buddy had drug dead cows into it, ever since coyotes have called it home.. We set up on a fenceline overlooking our potential coyote "battle zone"
lol.gif
. It wasnt a minute after some coyote vocals and we have the whole pack coming hard! four coyotes on a dead run.. this is what dreams are made of right here! It doesnt happen very often in the early season, that is calling in 3+ coyotes on one stand.. We have done this before and know the routine. The dogs start to circle and I give the WOOF!.. My dog checks up... BANG WHAP. . . BANG WHAP. two shot ring and two dogs hit the dirt.. Now its a mad dash! The other two coyotes are off like a bottle rocket.. we single out one of them trying to break a ridge at about 250 yrds. Marty really shines in these situations.. He stones him with a running head shot.. We were just ecstatic.. whata triple!

1-2.jpg

A nine dog day, I hope it works like this on saturday
lol.gif

M2d camo is the best

Mitch--Congratulations on a very fine day of coyote calling and excellent shooting!!! If you keep that up there won't be many coyotes left in NW North Dakota!!!

Congrats to both of you guys, really nice coyotes. They are pretty furred up right now up there. Nice story and pics too. Pretty fancy shooting too.

You better get all you can before the Silverfox gets after them.

Back