Ground work

I use my dogs for ground work. i use Fell terriers.. i mostly use them for groundhog but i do chase my share of red fox..

Moss

I dont have any going right now, But i used my JRT in pipes, and culverts, never in dens down here, too many rocks to try to dig to them. I have have a younge JRT, Rat Terrier cross that will be used for fox in the ground when i get back to michigan, and am hunting a few more younge tereiers. I really want a small JRT, but havnt had any luck finding any. I am also hoping to do a little bobcat work with them.

Are you wanting to get into some earth dogs? There is a member here up in Idaho who has some real nice little den terrier pups right now, i was trying to get one from them, but couldnt get the shipping figured out.

Originally Posted By: Jesse lackeyAre you wanting to get into some earth dogs? There is a member here up in Idaho who has some real nice little den terrier pups right now, i was trying to get one from them, but couldnt get the shipping figured out. No I have some bad A$$ little terriers that I den with. I also have bred my Coyote dog with my jagd, This is a second time cross, the first cross is the craziest little dogs I have ever seen, taking on a fox and killing it at 15 weeks old and stretching a coyote at 4 months. I am sending one of them down to Audwin McGee in Alabama to run hog with.
I was just wanting to see a different discussion on the board and learn more of what others are using.
I would like to hear more about the Fell terriers. What kind of grit they have and the game they are used for. I have never dealt with them.
I run Jagd and Jagd crosses under ground, I have terriers any where from a small Jagd to a large cur sized terrier. I use mine to den with and also get bobcat out of the rock and holes. I also run them( some of them/ sometimes) with my hounds on Bear and Lion.

i use patterdales almost exculsivly now. have had and hunted with alot of jagds,jrts,and one lakeland. all terriers have there plus and minus's just found that the patterdales fit for what i'm hunting. coons,bobcat, badgers,possum,ditch tigers,skunks,chucks,even a coyote on occasion. racoons being the targeted varmit.

The Terriers interest me and I think others here. I could google but I doubt I could find better first hand, genuine knowledge than can be had right here.

ET1 would you give us a good description of the Patterdales? Devin, the Jagds?

Does this question fit here or should I have made this separate topic?

my fells are basicly patterdales but with some lakeland blood in there. up here in NH its all granite. dogs have to be tough and small. my best digging dog right now weights 12 lbs. with a touch of crazy.

Moss

doubleck,

to me a patterdale(fell terrier) is really a specality dog.
i basically use mine in barns,old houses, brush/dozer piles,creek bottoms... old beaver dens,ect... i dont den coyotes but im sure they would hold there own. moss330 patts are a very common size for ground hunting, mine are larger with males running about 20 to 25 lbs and females running 16 to 20. we have smaller patts i just like a little more size to them, kinda lazy as the heavy weights dispatch or draw the game where i dont have to dig.lol
and a little extra lead in there a$$ helps on mutiple animals.i wont post any hunting pics on here but i'll put up a few of our patts soon.

DoubleCK, I dont know much about the breeding of Den Terriers. I know they all look a lot like JRT's, and im sure that they are some cross of JRT.

The Blood line of JRT's that we bread and kept were known to produce some real small dogs, around 10-12 lbs.

I Never knew much about hunting with terriers until a few years ago, i just used mine when the opportunity came along, so i had no clue that those little ones could be so valuble.

There is a guy up in Michigan that is raising some around the 6lb mark from what i hear.

From what i understand, and maybe someone else can take this farther, or corect me if im wrong, But the idea of a Den Terrier is to ether push the game out of a hole, or hold it until you can dig to it, and get some bigger dogs on it. I dont think they actually engage the game, but may be wrong, im sure i wouldnt want a 6lb terrier fighting with a big red fox in a hole that i couldnt get to.

I am going to push this a little farther if its ok with everyone. I have only ever had JRT's, and hunted little with them. My last one i used allot more, But she got bit by a rattle snake on the nose, one fang in each nostril, and after that, her nose was just never very good. She would work as a sight dog.

Well, im ready to dive into terriers head first, and not sure what to do. I like something about all the terriers, and dislike some things about all of them aswell. Here are my views, maybe some of you guys can help me make up my mind.

Jadgs- I love the grit, and the size seems to make them more usefull on larger game like fox, and coyotes, but then again, the size could also be a downfall for getting into tight spaces after a coon. I also dont like a long haired dog of any type, and have heard it can be tough finding a short haired Jadg.

Pats- Dont know much about pats, but have heard that its hard to keep them from going to the ground, this may be unreasonable, but i dont want a dog thats going to find some stink in a hole, and dive right in, for me, i would like that dog to bay or something, untill i get there, and decide if i want to send a dog down the hole or not. Love their size, and looks, especially the Bridnle ones i have seen. But I have had no luck buying one of the bridnle ones, Vargy is the only guy i know of who is breeding them, and i guess his waiting list is too long all the time.

JRT's- Dont know much about their nose, never made mine use them much. Love their grit, and no quit attitude. Had a small male that used to go everywhere with me, i could see a muskrat swimming in the swamp, and sick him from the truck, he would bail out the window, swim to it, catch it, kill it, and bring it back. Lots of fun. Never had one that wouldn't fight, and i love the size, and looks.

Staf's- Never even heard about these guys until STUNTMAN posted the pic of his. Dont know anything about them.

Well there it is, these are the ones im interested in, Feel free to corect anything i may have said that you believe to be untrue, add to it, any experience you may have is great.

Im not into the ground work, way too rocky to dig around my place and really not into it, but I Just love terriers.

My wife and I have started fostering dogs for a local rescue and thats all ive been taking for the last 9 mos or so. My fav by far has been a little fox terrier, that sucker had more energy than anything Id seen yet and FAST!!
between him and my little terrier mix, they pretty much exterminated any vermin around the house LOL. Lots of fun.

Staffs are Great! Mine was a American staffordshire, not sure if stuntman is using the staffy bull or not (more bulldog face and a bit smaller), Basically amstaffs are just a bred down pitbull, shorter squatter and were origionally bred for temperment/size type thing. How much of that is true, ill never know, but they are great dogs.

I never hunted mine since I didnt know he would, but Ive never seen anything make him mad but cats and coons, and I wish I had seen what he would do to a coon before he got too old and sick, Id could have used hime alot!

The jaw power on these guys is just insane as well, the things mine would bite through still shocks me.
anyway an amstaff would be much too large for ground work imo.

Dave

Good info, thanks!

What about temperament? Kids? Grand-kids? Other people's kids?

Other people's kid's dogs?

Trainable?

Barn cats?

temperment... you show them who is boss at a young age

other dogs...jmo jagds are notorious dog fighting,$hit starters, thats why i dont keep them anymore.

trainable... very

barn cats... they love them! that is any good terrier.

Jagds are not for everyone. They are hard terriers, that from time to time will fight. That is with all terriers (not just the Jagds).

Jagds IMO have more drive and nose power than any of the pats I have hunted with. Although Jagds are bigger than the pats, they still can and will make great den dogs.

Tim

here one of mine.

1234567005ee.jpg

i think everyone wants something alittle different from there terriers. where i live a bigger dog wont get any time in the ground. personally i like a smarter type dog not overly hard. i do expect my little dogs to engage there quarry.

Moss

062.jpg

here is a pic of one of my patt males,he doesnt look very big in the pic but he weighs about 22lbs. big for a patterdale,but he has the drive to get into some tight places.

This my Jrt fatso. I got him from a guy who does strictly ground work. I just use him for barns and brush piles or whatever. He is prolly around 12 pounds. Super gritty but doesn't have much nose. Works close till he here's my other dogs tree or bay up then he b lines to them. Won't bay much just goes straight for the coons head or neck. Almost drown a couple diffent times for that reason. This is my first terrier and I'm impressed but would like a little more nose.
IMAG0151.jpg

Back